What's new

Memory on RT-AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

macster2075

Very Senior Member
Hi guys..
So, I just bought an RT-AC86U.. I know it's old, but boy what a difference in wifi coverage compared to my old AC68P router. I am really enjoying it and I'm very pleased with it.
I just have a question with regards to the RAM Memory. On my old AC68P router, the memory always showed I had about 150 MB left out of the 256 MB.

So on this new one, it has 512 MB, but for some reason it's showing 140 MB left.. I was expecting to have more available RAM since I now have more than before.
Is this normal for it to use almost 75%?

1632259808076.png

Last edited:
Yes, it is normal.

AC86U is a HND platform router and it runs different software under the hood. The kernel is 64-bit, the CPU is 64-bit - it needs more RAM. AC86U and AC68U running the same firmware options leave approx. the same RAM available. For that reason they can run approx. the same amount of custom scripts on top.

AC86U is a HND platform router and it runs different software under the hood. The kernel is 64-bit, the CPU is 64-bit - it needs more RAM. AC86U and AC68U running the same firmware options leave approx. the same RAM available. For that reason they can run approx. the same amount of custom scripts on top.
Nice.. not sure why it took me so long to upgrade, but man, I wish I had done so sooner. I've seen reviews on this router and was expecting a better performance compared to my old one, but man, it's a huge difference. I no longer have to have a wifi entender out to my METAL shed which is about 75 feet from the house.. this new router reaches there full bars penetrating the metal walls...very impressive.

I have two of these beasts, they are great! The nice thing is as "HND" architecture they can run all the new features, like cake (Quality of Service).

As for memory, it is completely normal to run just short of 100%! Mine routinely has only 32 MB free and runs great. But also I believe it is a different way of counting, which includes cache usage.

You can peek at the Tools / Sysinfo page to get the memory usage breakdown. Mine is currently:
Code:
Total    430.00 MB
Free      31.61 MB
Buffers   11.59 MB
Cache     74.55 MB

So that's kind of like 105MB free, since cache can be used for other things as needed. Memory not used is memory wasted.

Nice.. not sure why it took me so long to upgrade

Just monitor the temperatures, some units may have overheating issues in hot climate areas. I hope newer versions of it don't have the sudden death syndrome like the ones from 2017-2018. It's a very good performer indeed. Keep your warranty card just in case.

Mine routinely has only 32 MB free

You have something attached to USB for file sharing. Just don't try to use it as NAS. For light file transfers it's okay, but under load it will run out of RAM and start shutting down services, including WAN and Wi-Fi. This happens on other Asus routers too, not AC86U specific.

I moved from the RT-AC68U to the RT-AC86U a few years ago and had the same observation as well as one other you may eventually notice.

The load average on the HND / 64bit platforms is never lower than 2.xx, which is very odd coming from the 68U, making you think a process is stuck running. Just think of 2.00 as the new 0.00 and go from there.

1632309636724.png

The screenshot reminds me, also, don't forget to search the forums for settings and practices to keep the temperatures down, if you have high temps.
It's been discussed ad nauseam but the TL;DR version is to make sure all the energy efficient settings are enabled.

1632309801601.png

I moved from the RT-AC68U to the RT-AC86U a few years ago and had the same observation as well as one other you may eventually notice.

The load average on the HND / 64bit platforms is never lower than 2.xx, which is very odd coming from the 68U, making you think a process is stuck running. Just think of 2.00 as the new 0.00 and go from there.

View attachment 36435

The screenshot reminds me, also, don't forget to search the forums for settings and practices to keep the temperatures down, if you have high temps.
It's been discussed ad nauseam but the TL;DR version is to make sure all the energy efficient settings are enabled.

View attachment 36437
What are the normal temps supposed to be at? I have the router up high close to the ceiling and Im in Florida.

Since I literally just bought this router..in the event that I start having overheating issues and decide to get a diiferent model,
Which model do you guys recommend that would perform similar to this one as far as wifi range and speed?

I don’t have any wifi6 capable devices and honestly not planning on getting any any time soon.

I haven’t been able to find what is the normal temps supposed to be…what is the normal range?
Anything around 80C is fine. The critical limit at which CPU cores get disabled is 100C.

You have something attached to USB for file sharing. Just don't try to use it as NAS. For light file transfers it's okay, but under load it will run out of RAM and start shutting down services, including WAN and Wi-Fi. This happens on other Asus routers too, not AC86U specific.
Right, I started out with some light file sharing and quickly moved that to a Raspberry Pi. The USB is for Entware, and I do have a fair number of add-ons.

Which model do you guys recommend that would perform similar to this one

RT-AC86U is perhaps the best in range and performance in Asus AC routers. It's 4 years old model. If you want something similar now, you have to go with $100 more expensive RT-AX86U.

RT-AC86U is perhaps the best in range and performance in Asus AC routers. It's 4 years old model. If you want something similar now, you have to go with $100 more expensive RT-AX86U.
Oh wow…it’s probably a fantastic router but not sure if can do the $100 more….hopefully it wont come to that haha.

The temps are easy to deal with. Just put a couple USB fans on the back over the vents blowing out and the problem is solved. I ordered the fans below, and they are quiet enough I don't ever notice them in the living room with nothing else making noise unless I'm a foot or two from the router. The temps don't ever get over 60 for any of the sensors, but 55 is a more usual max. I blow the dust out once or twice a year. I tried attaching them with double sided tape, sticky tack gel, and command strips and none of those worked well, so I just strung some zip ties together around the router and fans and it is working fine.

AC Infinity MULTIFAN S5, Quiet Dual 80mm USB Fan, UL-Certified for Receiver DVR Playstation Xbox Computer Cabinet Cooling https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IJ2J2K0/?tag=snbforums-20

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!