What's new

Memory on RT-AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The most common are 2.4GHz radio issues (dead radio), internal step-down converter failure (dead router), overheating (CPU throttling at 100C impacting performance). There is a link in post #12, read it. I registered here because of this router model. I've never seen so many dead routers from the same model. There is a hope Asus improved the manufacturing process, but still this router is 2017 model year. It's 2021 now.
Now you're scaring me! - but I did ask for it. lol

Are those issues that a firmware can't address?

No. Software can't fix hardware failure. I had 3x working AC86U routers using 7x as donors for parts. Now I have one for my collection, the rest recycled. The bad part is Asus never offered any compensation to owners with dead routers. Obviously, it was failing more often than other Asus products. Warranty expired - buy a new one. Yours is $150, but it was a flagship router with $250 price tag at launch.

No. Software can't fix hardware failure. I had 3x working AC86U routers using 7x as donors for parts. Now I have one for my collection, the rest recycled. The bad part is Asus never offered any compensation to owners with dead routers. Obviously, it was failing more often than other Asus products. Warranty expired - buy a new one. Yours is $150, but it was a flagship router with $250 price tag at launch.
Oh ok.. yeah this one is new. I bought at Amazon, it's on sale for $148.12.

One thing I have noticed is this AC86U keeps changing the devices names. Even if I change the name manually. From time to time it changes back to some weird name or the name becomes the MAC address.

One thing I have noticed is this AC86U keeps changing the devices names. Even if I change the name manually. From time to time it changes back to some weird name or the name becomes the MAC address.
That's the least of your worries with the RT-AC86U.

Dump the router and get an RT-AX86U. The upgrade will cost you a dinner out, but you'll be happy for years. What's not to like about that? It's not just an AC v. AX issue, it's the router's engineering and proven performance.

And there you have it. My confidently expressed newbie opinion :)

That's the least of your worries with the RT-AC86U.

Dump the router and get an RT-AX86U. The upgrade will cost you a dinner out, but you'll be happy for years. What's not to like about that? It's not just an AC v. AX issue, it's the router's engineering and proven performance.

And there you have it. My confidently expressed newbie opinion :)
haha.. well, if money was no option then sure lol.
Does this mean my older router AC68P was better built?

So I wanna go back to my original post regarding the memory. I've been reading a few posts and for the most part the consensus about ram utilization and the available amount left is... "it's normal".
Then I see the AX86U which has 1 gig of RAM, but right out of the box it's using 97%, only leaving about 32 MB.

What some say about that is.. "well, it's cached memory and unused memory is a waste" - which to me it kind of makes sense, but on the other hand.. if one of the selling points of that router is
"it has 1 gig of ram.. wow" - but then, you can't really use it because it's being used by the system?

For example, if someone wants to buy the AX86U because they see this router has lots of RAM and they have lots of scripts they wanna run which could use let's say 350 MB... they won't be able to right?
I'm sure Im looking at this the wrong way...can someone straighten me out?

Then I see the AX86U which has 1 gig of RAM, but right out of the box it's using 97%, only leaving about 32 MB.

No. Only if USB storage is attached, RAM used for cache. Same happens to every router, including your AC68U and AC86U. Fresh start will leave around 120MB available RAM with TrendMicro components enabled. Without TrendMicro you'll have >200MB available. AX86U with 1GB RAM will have more after fresh start. Don't use USB attached storage as NAS and you'll be fine. No need to worry about RAM utilization.

Does this mean my older router AC68P was better built?

Yes. One of the most reliable Asus routers. It's an older model though with hardware limitations for todays fast Internet connections. It can send about 400Mbps Wi-Fi to common 2-stream AC client, but if you need more - time to upgrade. It also runs older software, incompatible with new Wireguard or Cake QoS. It has Per IP Traffic Monitoring though (in Asuswrt-Merlin), not available with newer HND platform routers.

"it has 1 gig of ram.. wow" - but then, you can't really use it because it's being used by the system?
That's not how it works. If a process requests a certain amount of memory and there is no unallocated memory available the operating system will free up cache memory and reassign it to the process to fulfil the request.

ok.. I bit the bullet.. I got myself an AX86U tonight at Bestbuy! LOL - I see that something must have changed on this version. After I flashed Merlin's, It still shows 50% left of the RAM even with a script running and TrendMicro enabled (NICE).....It's definitely snappier than the AC86U for sure. So far I like it.. $100 more, but it is what it is. I guess I won't be going out for lunch and dinner for a while hehe.

ok.. I bit the bullet.. I got myself an AX86U tonight at Bestbuy! LOL - I see that something must have changed on this version. After I flashed Merlin's, It still shows 50% left of the RAM even with a script running and TrendMicro enabled (NICE).....It's definitely snappier than the AC86U for sure. So far I like it.. $100 more, but it is what it is. I guess I won't be going out for lunch and dinner for a while hehe.
So close to doing the same upgrade myself. In what way are you noticing it being "snappier"? I am looking for one last voice to convince me (yes, I know there are many already, LOL).

So close to doing the same upgrade myself. In what way are you noticing it being "snappier"? I am looking for one last voice to convince me (yes, I know there are many already, LOL).
I hear there is a magic gaming port…

I hear there is a magic gaming port…
Sorry, that's not a feature that interests me in the slightest, couldn't care less about gaming. And yes, I know that was meant as a joke....

Last edited:
You know when you make a change and hit apply.. it hangs for bit applying those changes... I notice this one is snappier than the rest. That's probably very insignificant but I just got it.. still messing with it.
I am hanging on to the AC86U and will make a decision on which one to keep. I bought the AX86U so I at least can say I tried it and compared to the AC86U. I know if didn't buy it, it would bother the heck out of me haha.

But, if I don't see a $100 worth increase in performance...then I guess I will return it and save the money. I only have 1 wifi 6 capable device (Samsung S20 FE), but my internet speeds in this area sucks.. 50/10, so having Wifi 6 for me is kind of useless. What I need is performance in wifi 5 and 2.4ghz for my security cameras... which that is the main reason I need more wifi coverage.

Too bad the Aimesh doesn't seem to work how I want it. I've tried it a few times and it says it has a great connection and everything seems fine..but when I do speed tests, I get 20s and mid 30s.. I normally get mid 50s..almost every time... Tried several times rebooting both routers and still the same...even when connecting to the main router, the speeds are not there.

Once I remove the node, then the speeds come back to normal. What I ended up doing is, I flashed FresTomato firmware on the AC68P and set it as Wireless Ethernet Bridge... getting solid 1300 Mbps on the 5ghz network. Connected both main computers to the lan ports and I'm back in business.

I wish Merlin's would have that Wireless Ethernet Bridge option, it works great. I know that Asus has the Media function, but you can only use the LAN ports to provide internet to devices.
With Wireless Ethernet Bridge option, you can use the LAN ports and also broadcast wireless 2.4/5ghz signal without cutting bandwidth in half...it works great.

1632636085945.png

But, if I don't see a $100 worth increase in performance...

There will be no increase in performance with your current 50/10 ISP and up to AC clients. You have a chance for increased performance with future faster ISP and AX clients, plus a chance for better reliability in a long run. AC86U is not only 4 years old now, but it was the first Asus HND platform router. Perhaps, related with reliability issues. AX86U came much later and Asus had the time to fix whatever was wrong.

There will be no increase in performance with your current 50/10 ISP and up to AC clients. You have a chance for increased performance with future faster ISP and AX clients, plus a chance for better reliability in a long run. AC86U is not only 4 years old now, but it was the first Asus HND platform router. Perhaps, related with reliability issues. AX86U came much later and Asus had the time to fix whatever was wrong.
So far I have noticed a difference in coverage. The 5ghz on the AX86 is a lot stronger than AC86, but the 2.4ghz is weaker on the AX86 significantly...it's on par with the older AC68P.

So I've been doing some extensive testing.. and it's always the same outcome... AX86U better 5ghz as far as RSSI..i'ts a little lower than AC86U. But 2.4ghz, I get 2/3 bars on my wireless security camera and causing connection instability... and yes, I disabled all wifi 6 bells and whisltes on the AX86U. When connecting the AC86U on the very same spot, I get full bars, every time and wifi cameras are stable. Tough decision because I know the AX86 is supposed to be faster and better, which it is...but on the issue I mainly want it to succeed it has failed me. I think I'm leaning towards the AC86U and will probably be returning the AX... at least I can say, I gave it a shot.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!