What's new

Memory on RT-AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

So I've been doing some extensive testing.. and it's always the same outcome... AX86U better 5ghz as far as RSSI..i'ts a little lower than AC86U. But 2.4ghz, I get 2/3 bars on my wireless security camera and causing connection instability... and yes, I disabled all wifi 6 bells and whisltes on the AX86U. When connecting the AC86U on the very same spot, I get full bars, every time and wifi cameras are stable. Tough decision because I know the AX86 is supposed to be faster and better, which it is...but on the issue I mainly want it to succeed it has failed me. I think I'm leaning towards the AC86U and will probably be returning the AX... at least I can say, I gave it a shot.
To paraphrase the legendary Inspector Callahan, "A man's got to know his router's limitations."

haha.. yeah.. If all my camaras were 5ghz, I wouldn't even think about it twice about keeping the AX..but sadly, that's not the case and with my situation here in boonies were I barely have a internet, $249 for a massive beast that I won't even be able to enjoy it's full capacity..it really doesn't make any sense for me to keep it... I really wanted it to be at least the same as the AC86..if I had the same outcome on both, I would keep it...but too much interference with my old pieces of crap devices.

ALSO..
I do like that the AX runs a lot cooler.. it got to only 71c...the AC86 got to 86-87c

Last edited:
Why are you disabling all 'Wi-Fi 6 bells and whistles'? Do your devices not connect if you don't?

You may still need to return the RT-AX86U for your environment, but it doesn't sound like you're properly testing the RT-AX86U either.

Why are you disabling all 'Wi-Fi 6 bells and whistles'? Do your devices not connect if you don't?

You may still need to return the RT-AX86U for your environment, but it doesn't sound like you're properly testing the RT-AX86U either.
I've been doing some reading and others suggested to disable wifi 6 options as it may interfere with older devices. But I tested with and without the wifi 6 stuff...same results.

Reading is good. Doing your own tests is better. :)

The M&M defaults are still highly recommended. As is not using old SSIDs, only alphanumeric characters of proper length, etc.

While maximum 2.5GHz performance may be important today (still), this is changing by the day. If you can get the 2.5GHz devices stable, the newer router is the better buy today.

I don't recall you asking to fix these disconnects, nor what steps you took to try to do so either?

Reading is good. Doing your own tests is better. :)

The M&M defaults are still highly recommended. As is not using old SSIDs, only alphanumeric characters of proper length, etc.

While maximum 2.5GHz performance may be important today (still), this is changing by the day. If you can get the 2.5GHz devices stable, the newer router is the better buy today.

I don't recall you asking to fix these disconnects, nor what steps you took to try to do so either?
Well, what I did was I didn't really have any issues with my older 68P router. So I bought the AC86u to increase wifi coverage and not keep having to use extenders. So when I bought the AC86U, I noticed I don't need to use the extender I was using for my shed. But then, I kept reading and found people were complaining and having issues with the 86U and heating issues, so that got me thinking into buying the AXU. So, like a good boy, I gave in and bought it. Then I started noticing the differences in coverage and noticed the 2.4ghz doesn't seem to be as strong as the 86U.

I didn't want to move things around because they are security cameras, so what I did was I selected the spot were I was getting great coverage with the 86U, full bars on 2.4ghz and 5ghz on all my devices.
But when I would switch routers, the AX gets great 5ghz, but weaker 2.4ghz.

So hardware wise, the AX is supposed to have greater coverage on the 2.4 or about the same as the AC86... why do you think is less?
I'm just looking for an excuse to keep it and not return it haha.

What worked 'once upon a time' isn't necessarily the best thing to try with new equipment. This goes for location too.

Test every Control Channel fully. Keep good notes. Try different router orientation and antennae positions too. Moving the router a few inches in 3D space can have amazing results. Nothing is a given with wireless.

The last time I had 'great' 2.5GHz wireless was with my RT-AC3100 (best coverage ever). Since then, there isn't a single device that I care about that operates on that band (so I don't test/care about that band anymore).

RT-AC3100 Report https://www.snbforums.com/threads/s...-go-with-the-rt-ac1900p-v3.34748/#post-281391

Maybe that's what I was doing wrong. I was putting the routers exactly on the same spot, pointed the same way. In my mind, I wanted to make sure they were identical..haha.
Well, back to the drawing board... YES.. the AX still has a chance!

You can use the AC86U for now, if it fails in next 2 years it's covered by the warranty. In 2 years time more and cheaper AX models will be available on the market. Keep your AC68U as a backup router.

Reactions: pdc
You can use the AC86U for now, if it fails in next 2 years it's covered by the warranty. In 2 years time more and cheaper AX models will be available on the market. Keep your AC68U as a backup router.
One thing that keeps bothering me about the AC86U is it keeps assigning the same IP address to two different devices. Even if I manually assign the IP address in DHCP server, it completely ignores it.
Tried reboot both the router and the device, but the router keeps assign same IP to them.

I've never seen this happening on any of my test AC86U units. Perhaps, the devices are holding the IP.

I've never seen this happening on any of my test AC86U units. Perhaps, the devices are holding the IP.
One of the devices if my old 68P router which I have manually assigned 192.168.1.2 to it, but this AC86U keeps assigning whatever IP address it wants and some times it assigns an IP address that belongs to another device... So the 68P router has a static IP address set and on top of that I manually added the same IP to DHCP on the 86U, but it ignores it.

This is from network map

1632866896347.png

and this is from DHCP

1632866958307.png

I want to interject another perspective on the AC86U. I have a 2020 model and it has been very stable.

While there are clearly some reliability problems with the AC86, you only hear about the ones that fail. There are still plenty of them out there working just fine. I think as long as you have a warranty, @Tech9 's advice is sound: since you don't need an AX router just yet, use the AC86 for the warranty period and if/when it dies, then see what's the top router at that time. Or if the 68 still works (with the new antenna) you might not need anything at all? It's your call, but there is always a newer "latest greatest" coming out ;)

FWIW, I have 2x AC86 (HW Rev R1.5, 2018) and they are still going strong. Temp is around 77C, ambient ~23C. When one dies I'll swap in an AX86, until then I'm good.

While there are clearly some reliability problems with the AC86, you only hear about the ones that fail. There are still plenty of them out there working just fine. I think as long as you have a warranty, @Tech9 's advice is sound: since you don't need an AX router just yet, use the AC86 for the warranty period and if/when it dies, then see what's the top router at that time. Or if the 68 still works (with the new antenna) you might not need anything at all? It's your call, but there is always a newer "latest greatest" coming out ;)

FWIW, I have 2x AC86 (HW Rev R1.5, 2018) and they are still going strong. Temp is around 77C, ambient ~23C. When one dies I'll swap in an AX86, until then I'm good.
How is yours running so cool?
Yours runs about 10 degrees cooler than mine. My house temp hovers around 74-76 F

I've never seen my 2021 built AC86U go above 74C (ambient temp low 20s). Now that's is cooled down here (ambient 18/19 C) the CPU temperature is in the high 60's

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!