What's new

Merlin AiMesh extremely unstable

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I have an RT-88U as the router running 384.18 and a RT-68U as a mesh node running the latest stock Asus firmware w/ wired backhaul and no issues. When I used Merlin firmware on the mesh node the router could not find it, took more attempts than I had patients for. When I used wireless backhaul if was awful and extremely unstable (basically not usable). Also using SmartConnect. Been on this config for about 9 months and a couple firmware updates w/ no issues.

Given the interest in AI Mesh, perhaps trying the official 386 beta would be an option. Providing feedback would also help RMerlin as he works to standardize his fabulous firmware onto a single [386] code base.

@chewmull thanks for the input.

I cannot do wired backhawl. I did not have any trouble adding the AP (I have two AC86Us). I did see a lot of disconnects on pretty much all of the firmware combos after 384.13 (both router and node on Merlin, main router on Merlin and node on stock, or both router and node on stock). I am curious if the latest stock update has resolved the issue. I will try it out and post my findings here.

In my experience, Smart Connect is NOT smart. It caused me nothing but grief. I use Roam Assist, same ssid, latest Merlin 384.19 and everything works great. Even when I disconnect my ethernet link, it just keeps working. Clients are roamed between the main and node router very well.

@Smokey613 it seems your router/node pair is similar to mine. Have you tried leaving the Ethernet link unplugged for a few days? For me, the problems seem to happen after a few days, not immediately.

First off, this topic has caught my attention too many times on the main forum page.
In my experience, Smart Connect is NOT smart. It caused me nothing but grief. I use Roam Assist, same ssid, latest Merlin 384.19 and everything works great. Even when I disconnect my ethernet link, it just keeps working. Clients are roamed between the main and node router very well.
The biggest issues I ever experienced with smart connect seem to be caused from asuswrt design flaws. It took me a reasonable amount of effort configuring smart connect to behave the way I wanted it to. One main concern with smart connect is the one-size fits most mentality adopted by designers during the testing phase. In reality it would be helpful if devs were required to release a tweaking guide of sorts to save the end user issues on configuration instead of just stating at the bottom page their test parameters in very fine printed text. i.e. too many features does not always = a good thing. In most circumstances it creates confusion and destroys brand loyalty.

As for Aimesh+Merlin---- This has been stable for most cases for me. The only problems that have occured for me were done on the user end (i.e. my bad logistics testing and horrible script combos..).

Thanks all. I have installed the latest firmware from Asus (Version 3.0.0.4.384.82072) and things appear to be ok. I will monitor for a few days and post my findings here.

@Smokey613 it seems your router/node pair is similar to mine. Have you tried leaving the Ethernet link unplugged for a few days? For me, the problems seem to happen after a few days, not immediately.
No, I have not, but..... I will just to test the setup! :)

It is unplugged! Let’s see what happens...... :)

This brings up another question. What type of connection speed can I expect on the 5G link between my routers? What is the fastest possible if everything was “perfect”?

B28472CC-4E06-4485-847C-217975FF2E71.jpeg
2136A227-2D71-4980-8084-62EA215BEE05.jpeg

No problems so far! I think I will just leave it as is without the ethernet connection.

I have been running the latest version from ASUS and things seem much stable. When Merlin merges GPL 384_82072, I will install it and see.

I saw some issues last night (2.4ghz devices going offline). May have to revert back to Merlin 384.13 :(

ok, I am back to Merlin 384.13 ... had disconnect issues with some devices. 384.13 works flawlessly.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!