What's new

Merlin Firmware For XT8 ZenWifi?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

A1MB1G

Occasional Visitor
I tried to find answers to this but didn't find anything. Is there a compatible Merlin firmware version for the Asus Zenwifi XT8 routers and nodes? I went to the Merlin website and couldn't find any for these routers.

Thanks

I tried to find answers to this but didn't find anything. Is there a compatible Merlin firmware version for the Asus Zenwifi XT8 routers and nodes? I went to the Merlin website and couldn't find any for these routers.

Thanks

There is no Merlin support for either of the Zen Wifi mesh systems. Asus can barely put out a decent firmware for them.

I just replaced my ac5300 with a pair of XT8’s and was hoping Merlin worked his magic for those as well. Maybe someday. :)

I have to say that so far the router(s) are rock solid. Certainly gives me better coverage and reliability. I was having to reboot the 5300 every few weeks or so cause one 5g band would just stop responding. It had a good run I guess. :)

Now that Merlin exists for the XT8, what are people's experiences? Looking potentially at switching over, but want to hear from others first.

Now that Merlin exists for the XT8, what are people's experiences? Looking potentially at switching over, but want to hear from others first.
Is there a release???? Merlins main page doesn't list XT8. There is supposedly an Merlon member that has coded a solution but I can't find link. I agree I would like to see this tested before implementing it on my router.

Is there a release???? Merlins main page doesn't list XT8. There is supposedly an Merlon member that has coded a solution but I can't find link. I agree I would like to see this tested before implementing it on my router.
It`s on my website, under "Forks and Variants":

Stability????? :) I'm a noob - I worry about frying my expensive XT8 router. If I chose to install your Merlin version on XT8 - can I recover AsusWRT in a worse case scenario? Thanks for all the hard work BTW. I've read, but never used, Merlin. I'm know trying to get into the more advanced settings on my router - and trying to protect me from prying eyes. I will look at your release. Thanks.

Stability????? :) I'm a noob - I worry about frying my expensive XT8 router. If I chose to install your Merlin version on XT8 - can I recover AsusWRT in a worse case scenario? Thanks for all the hard work BTW. I've read, but never used, Merlin. I'm know trying to get into the more advanced settings on my router - and trying to protect me from prying eyes. I will look at your release. Thanks.
The XT8 firmware is not my release, it`s from Gnuton.

Any updates? Anyone bothered to try this out yet?

Yes, take a look at this thread, and you'll see lots of comments:

OK. After a lot of problems particularly with my IoT devices as well as a few sync issues between my collection of 3 x XT8 devices, I have taken the plunge and installed Merlin.

IMHO, it is definitely a step up and I don't think I will ever go back to the main releases. Merlin definitely seems to be the future and I really have to thank @GNUton for his hard efforts on getting the Merlin releases working on these routers/nodes. Specifically it feels a lot more stable once you get your initial configuration right. I simply don't have the random issues.

The only problem I have had was getting my third router/node to sync, and in the end I connected it to the master node/router via ethernet for the initial setup and everything has worked since.

OK. After a lot of problems particularly with my IoT devices as well as a few sync issues between my collection of 3 x XT8 devices, I have taken the plunge and installed Merlin.

Asuswrt-Merlin is unlikely to fix your connection issues. Everything Wireless and AiMesh is closed source and comes from Asuswrt. Most of the time the initial more stable and faster impression comes from the fact you have reset your routers to factory default and started fresh.

Asuswrt-Merlin is unlikely to fix your connection issues. Everything Wireless and AiMesh is closed source and comes from Asuswrt. Most of the time the initial more stable and faster impression comes from the fact you have reset your routers to factory default and started fresh.

To be fair to me, I did do a full factory reset and put on the usual Asuswrt firmware first, but after a day of disconnections and other strange issues, I decided to take the full plunge into Merlin.

I should also state that with each version I do a full hardware reset, so I am very used to doing fresh settings.

Test it and see how it goes. Hopefully it works better for you. There was a long thread about finding a good stable AiMesh firmware for XT8.

Test it and see how it goes. Hopefully it works better for you. There was a long thread about finding a good stable AiMesh firmware for XT8.
I have tested it and I am reporting very good results.

If you look at this thread, I actually asked people about this above several times but heard nothing. With that in mind, I am reporting good results.

This is not a problem. You are on the right track. Test and use what works for you better. You have some options.

XT8 only. ET8 would require a different firmware.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!