What's new

Merlinwrt + Mullvad OPVN + NextDNS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Uberboyo

New Around Here
Hey there, sorry if this has been answered before - I have looked and can't find a similar question.

I'm not a networking expert before I begin!

have just upgraded to MerlinWRT and Mullvad is my VPN of choice. As a side note I'd like to use wireguard but they only have instructions for openwrt - if anyone has a link to some instructions for this it would be really appreciated.

I have the VPN setup using an openvpn config through the vpn client/vpn director.

Ideally I would like to use nextDNS as my resolver, however when I change the DNS server through the WAN menu it dumps the whole vpn connection.

Mullvad have suggested changing the UDP port to 1400, however I note under the WAN DNS Setting there is a notification saying "Your router's DHCP server is configured to provide a DNS server that's different from your router's IP address. This will prevent clients from using the DNS Privacy servers."

I'm guessing the specified DHCP server, 10.8.0.1, is the problem.

Does anyone know how I can bypass this and use nextDNS?

Thanks in advance,

Boyo

Have just upgraded to MerlinWRT and Mullvad is my VPN of choice. As a side note I'd like to use wireguard but they only have instructions for openwrt - if anyone has a link to some instructions for this it would be really appreciated.

Use their WireGuard configurator
and simply configure the target desired WireGuard geo endpoint and click download to transfer the generated config to your PC

e.g. USA, Miami

1683823512368.png

Then import the generated config into the ASUS Router WireGuard Client GUI.

Reactions: fsb