What's new

MicroTik RouterBoard Routers - any good?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kevin1911

Occasional Visitor
With Merlin support for my Asus RT-N66U coming to an end, I've been thinking about what next. I was thinking the obvious candidate would be an AC88U, but I've seen MicroTik routers mentioned a few times on the forums, so had a look at their range.

I'm astonished at how good value they seem to be on paper - £115 for the RB3011UiAS-RM with 10 GigE ports. I've had a look at the RouterOS demo on their website and it looks pretty good - lots and lots of configurability. I'm a network designer by trade, so know enough to get by.

For those of you who are running these routers, how have you found them in terms of reliability, security, configurability and supportability.

For what it's worth, we have a VDSL modem doing the VDSL-Ethernet WAN job, and some BT Whole Home WiFi discs doing WiFi, as well as a QNAP NAS.

Is it as good a bargain as it seems?

mikrotik routers are very good, i get A+ bufferbloat score in DSLreports for instance even on wifi but thats not the point. No matter how good mikrotik routers are it is highly dependent on how you configure it. So if you know what you're doing thats great, if not you may want to consider another router.

See demo.mt.lv to how a routerboard configuration looks like.

I also get A+ bufferbloat scores on DSLreports from a Cisco RV320 router and a pfsense router. It is easy to get A+ bufferbloat scores. On a 300meg connection I was getting 342 and 362 down.

I also get A+ bufferbloat scores on DSLreports from a Cisco RV320 router and a pfsense router. It is easy to get A+ bufferbloat scores. On a 300meg connection I was getting 342 and 362 down.
you must have a good ISP but my point is that with mikrotik you can achieve amazing results but it requires knowing what you're doing.