What's new

minidlna alternative

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ursus

Occasional Visitor
Hello!

Is there any viable alternative to minidlna?

I'm tired of this software. I have my attached HDD formatted in EXT3 and minidlna is so unstable, that it's hard to bare.

Issues that are occuring:
  • on custom minidlna confir partition after reboot is not mounting with _partition_name_ but rather with _partition_name(1)_ and everything is screwed up
  • rescan of whole drive after restart
  • random crashed of minidlna while watching movie
  • not picking up new files added to the drive without restart

Sooo... is there any stable alternative to minidlna that can be installed on top of enthware?

Last edited:
A quick solution might be to just reformat your HDD to ext3. When I did that it cured all of my hard disk related woes.

A quick solution might be to just reformat your HDD to ext3. When I did that it cured all of my hard disk related woes.

Thx for answer and sorry for stupid mistake. My HDD is formatted to ext3.
I did it using advice gotten here on forums to get everything stable.

Unfortunately minidlna is still very unstable :(

The only opensource, embedded alternative to minidlna that I'm aware of is Mediatomb, and it hasn't been developped for years, and is also more resource-intensive.

The only opensource, embedded alternative to minidlna that I'm aware of is Mediatomb, and it hasn't been developped for years, and is also more resource-intensive.
Thanks for answer!

Well.. I guess I'll have to dig deeper into what is causing my problems.

I'll start with upgrading from 3.0.0.4.374.34_2 to your newest build.

The last commit in git is dated
Code:
commit 7ab761696354868bd5d67ff4f2d849994e4c98e2
Author: Sergey 'Jin' Bostandzhyan <jin at mediatomb dot cc>
Date:  Sun Jul 13 19:36:55 2014 +0300
The mediatomb with latest trunk changes and Debian patches is now in Entware-ng. Mipsel binary will come soon.
Here is my post (in Russian) on configuring and using Mediatomb
http://forums.zyxmon.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5281
I hope Google translator will be helpfull

The last commit in git is dated
Code:
commit 7ab761696354868bd5d67ff4f2d849994e4c98e2
Author: Sergey 'Jin' Bostandzhyan <jin at mediatomb dot cc>
Date:  Sun Jul 13 19:36:55 2014 +0300

That's the only commit in the past 2 years. You have to go back to 2013 for the previous commits, and the last official release on their website is from 2010.

That's the only commit in the past 2 years. You have to go back to 2013 for the previous commits, and the last official release on their website is from 2010.
That is true. There are about 50 commits in 2013, and no commits in 2012 and 2011. Still the source in git is newer then the last official release.
The main advantage of mediatomb is transcoding. It requires a lot of CPU power, but there are reports (on my old forum) that video container changing (not a real transcoding) was successful on 384Mhz mipsel router.
That allowed to play unsupported formats on a TV with the help of mediatomb.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!