What's new

MLB Blackout location problems 68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rmassung

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I have a T-Mobile converted 68U. When I am connecting with an Apple TV or Roku to it wirelessly (or wired) I can not watch some MLB games because it says I am blacked out. If I connect directly to the modem I am not blacked out.

Is there something in the router I am missing that would cause a location change? I have rebuilt the modem from scratch using Merlin and stock ASUS and same problem.

Thanks.

I think I figured it out. Going to IPLocation.net and I type in my IP, under the DB-IP database it is listed as a town far way from me in PA. That zip code is blacked out for the teams I want to see. Now I have to figure out where to start on why it is listed wrong. I guess I start with Comcast.

Thanks for any other replies that might help.

If it works when your PC is connected directly to the modem you could clone the PC's MAC address onto the router. That should give the router the same WAN IP address that your PC was getting. WAN > Internet Connection > MAC Clone

Hi,

Yes I plugged in the Apple TV and I got the MAC from that. Then cloned that in the 68U. What I don't understand is why the IP's are so different on the router than compared to the Apple TV.

The Apple TV was : XX.175.45.xxx

Router is : XX.64.151.XX

It's the first 3 octets that are significant, but you've XX'd first one's out. Companies tend to buy (or be allocated) IPv4 addresses in blocks. Now that the IPv4 address space has run out companies have to buy "second hand" addresses if they need more. So it's quite possible that you were assigned an address that was previously used in a different part of the country and/or another company.

Yes the Router and Apple TV were both 73.
So both addresses are registered to Comcast in the Pennsylvania area. Trying to be more specific gives different locations depending on which geolocation database you use.

Would IPv6 fix that?
Maybe, but there's no guarantee. It depends on whether the ISP has allocated the IP addresses geographically.

EDIT: I know nothing about MLB, blackouts or the size of the area covered but perhaps you ought to report the non-functioning IP address for the benefit of everybody in your area, as each IP "block" contains 65534 individual addresses.
If you think we have inaccurately determined your blackout restrictions, you may call Customer Service at 866.800.1275 (US) or 512.434.1542 (International).

Last edited:
I reported the IP to https://www.db-ip.com. They said they would look into it. I am going to call MLB.tv maybe today and see if they understand. Technical support takes a long time to get to.

All the other DB's from IPLocation.net are reporting my area but DB-IP is showing Linglestown. Putting the zip code in MLB blackout page, 17112 shows the teams that are blacked out and hence my problem of watching the Orioles or Nationals. I am blacked out of Pirates and Phillies, that is correct.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!