What's new

Partial Site Frustration

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Phibernaut

Occasional Visitor
I am hopeful someone far wiser than I can (please) assist in tracking down a frustrating RT-AC5300 issue preventing site(s) from fully loading.

For the past few days I have not been able to view content on the TinyGS.com site. Their pages come up but the data is missing (below) regardless of computer, OS or browser used. Remote browsing sites fully load these details, as does anything on a mobile (Verizon, AT&T) network. The site also behaves as expected when connected directly to the cable modem (Optimum) which leads me to believe it's something in my RT-AC5300 router (running v386.11). I do not recall any recent setting changes and have not been able to figure this out on my own - can someone please assist?

https://tinygs.com/stations images are provided below for reference - both incomplete via WiFi and correctly via mobile.

1689864118822.png

1689865419943.png

Check your DNS.

Thanks for the reply!

I've tried a few DNS options listed in the router, also 1.1.1.1 / 1.0.0.1. I've rebooted afterwards, though maybe the modem should be rebooted as well?

EDIT: Full router/modem reboot after selecting DNS IP from ISP brought no joy. :(

Does anything below look out of line?

1689870114447.png

Last edited:
Are you seeing this on apple devices or does windows/android have the same problem?

I am hopeful someone far wiser than I can (please) assist in tracking down a frustrating RT-AC5300 issue preventing site(s) from fully loading.

For the past few days I have not been able to view content on the TinyGS.com site. Their pages come up but the data is missing (below) regardless of computer, OS or browser used. Remote browsing sites fully load these details, as does anything on a mobile (Verizon, AT&T) network. The site also behaves as expected when connected directly to the cable modem (Optimum) which leads me to believe it's something in my RT-AC5300 router (running v386.11). I do not recall any recent setting changes and have not been able to figure this out on my own - can someone please assist?

https://tinygs.com/stations images are provided below for reference - both incomplete via WiFi and correctly via mobile.

Do you have aiprotection enabled? If so check the stats to see if it is blocking anything.

Same behavior on iPhone (EDIT: Android, Chrome OS & Windows). I took down AiProtection temporarily (below) - unfortunately no change. I flipped enough switches to get locked out via router.asus.com and ended up factory resetting via the app. Unsure if that clears everything back to stock but I had to reassign SSID, etc and the site refused to play nicely with those settings as well.

EDIT: AiProtection listed nothing in the logs prior to the lock out/reset.

Does a tracert, log or something shed any light on this? It's become one of those "I need to know why" hunts for an answer...

1689876005539.png

Same behavior on iPhone (EDIT: Android, Chrome OS & Windows). I took down AiProtection temporarily (below) - unfortunately no change. I flipped enough switches to get locked out via router.asus.com and ended up factory resetting via the app. Unsure if that clears everything back to stock but I had to reassign SSID, etc and the site refused to play nicely with those settings as well.

EDIT: AiProtection listed nothing in the logs prior to the lock out/reset.

Does a tracert, log or something shed any light on this? It's become one of those "I need to know why" hunts for an answer...

View attachment 51846

Odd, it is showing up fine for me using Chrome via my older asus router with Aiprotection enabled and even with uBlock enabled.

Do you happen to run a security suite on all your devices (i.e. the same software that you've installed on everytihng)? Try running incognito/inprivate and see if there is any difference.

Note after disabling aiprotection you may have to restart but sounds like you did a full reset (and I'm assuming did not re-enable it until you tested again?) so that shouldn't be it.

From the source of the page you can try nslookup/ping/trace to
cdn.jsdelivr.net
fonts.googleapis.com
static.cloudflareinsights.com

Theres probably more than that embedded within the javascript but those are on the main page source.

The other possibility is when you plug directly into the modem you're getting IP #1, when you plug the router into the modem it gets IP #2. IP #2 has a routing issue to some of the resources used by the site. You can clone any LAN MAC address to the router WAN to force it to get a new IP (hopefully from a different range than IP #2). Worth a try. If you really want to dig into it then try the dns and trace to the various urls before and after doing that (and assuming it fixed the problem, see if there was a difference). This would only work if the ISP device is a plain modem, not modem/router combo. If it is a modem/router then it isn't an issue with the WAN IP as that isn't changing when you change your LAN device.

If you are able to block all other clients and close as much software on a single PC as you can you can look in the router to see all the connections to all the IPs related to that site (there will inevitably be some that are related to chrome and other stuff that you can't stop) if you really want to trace out every single one.

For reference mine is an RT-AC1900 running 386.11 and Trend Micro signature 2.362

Last edited:
Make sure Ad blockers are not causing the site to half load. Diversion for example or in browser adblockers maybe whitelist the site. Firewalls shouldn’t cause a page to half load usually it’s either all or nothing. CDN’s allow websites to load content closest to you and the routes are provided by DNS. If the site’s CDN mirrors the host server then things shouldn’t be an issue, but if the site has parts of the website not cached by the CDN and are only provided live but the host server is blocked by a firewall then you can have these issues.

Extreme delay from the router usually bottlenecks by the routers CPU usage, or dial-up speeds or vpn’s can cause similar problems.

If you use adblocker diversion I recommend disabling logging as that at least on my router helps with stability.

Pinging the site to see if their are any loss of packets/latency might help as well to troubleshoot.

Make sure if you use QoS on automatic or manually selected speeds it is not causing issues overall to your speeds. Doing a speed test when there is minimal network usage it should tell you if it matches your isp plan or close to.

Last edited:
A few things overnight...

I see no changes when wired to the router, with a device IP in the DMZ or via an incognito tab in Chrome browser. I'm not running any widespread security suite, though I do not recall if I restarted the router after disabling AiProtection - something to try during the next period of downtime. I'm not running ad-blocker, VPN or QOS and various fresh browser installs reproduce the same behavior. All three router bands are merged together into one SSID via "Smart Connect" if it matters.

The various page source links above complete tracerts but I do see a line of "* * * Request timed out." with tinygs.com, fonts.googleapis.com & static.cloudflareinsights.com. cdn.jsdelivr.net shows no issue.

The ISP device is a plain modem wired directly into the Asus RT-AC5300. I see the "MAC Clone" button in WAN settings under the Internet Connection tab - I can fiddle with that next.

The router lists firmware 386.11 with signature 2.362. Maybe the signature auto-updated this week and isn't playing well with this router? Wondering if a hard reset via WPS button, fresh flash while wired & another hard reset would brute force a setting back to the stone age. A number of the USB Applications used to be enabled by default but have not been in recent factory resets via the GUI so maybe its holding settings somewhere. I don't mind wiping it out and rebuilding if beneficial, though it often results in evil looks from the wife & kids...

Again, greatly appreciate everyone's help!

I see no changes when wired to the router, with a device IP in the DMZ or via an incognito tab in Chrome browser. I'm not running any widespread security suite, though I do not recall if I restarted the router after disabling AiProtection - something to try during the next period of downtime. I'm not running ad-blocker, VPN or QOS and various fresh browser installs reproduce the same behavior. All three router bands are merged together into one SSID via "Smart Connect" if it matters.

The various page source links above complete tracerts but I do see a line of "* * * Request timed out." with tinygs.com, fonts.googleapis.com & static.cloudflareinsights.com. cdn.jsdelivr.net shows no issue.

The ISP device is a plain modem wired directly into the Asus RT-AC5300. I see the "MAC Clone" button in WAN settings under the Internet Connection tab - I can fiddle with that next.

The router lists firmware 386.11 with signature 2.362. Maybe the signature auto-updated this week and isn't playing well with this router? Wondering if a hard reset via WPS button, fresh flash while wired & another hard reset would brute force a setting back to the stone age. A number of the USB Applications used to be enabled by default but have not been in recent factory resets via the GUI so maybe its holding settings somewhere. I don't mind wiping it out and rebuilding if beneficial, though it often results in evil looks from the wife & kids...

So not sure if you tried this but bypassing the router completely and plugging into the cable modem into your computer directly via Ethernet can tell you if the issue is related to your isp or router. [Edit: you did] If you’ve done that and it loads fine directly connected to the modem then it’s the router if not then it’s an issue with your isp or it’s modem.

If it’s the router, setting the router to factory default or using the asus router web ui or recovery tool to reflash the firmware and make sure its clean couldn’t hurt if nothing else fixes the issue.

I’d also maybe try some different Ethernet cables to your isp modem and or computer in case a bad cable is causing network related packet loss. Although it’s unclear to me how many sites this is an issue for you with.

If you’ve reinstalled your browsers and cleared browser cache it doesn’t seem to me like it’s a browser issue.

Things to try speedtest.net check your isp speeds to make sure that they are around your rated isp plan in terms of speed. Check if there is high latency or packet loss on the speed test.

Not sure what the tracetrs time-out error is about maybe post a screenshot of it so we get a full picture. (Remove your ip if it shows) And do a ping test to the specific site like tinygs.com (not sure if that’s what you meant showed no issues).

[Edit: You could try to disable smart connect and have your wifi radios have different ssid’s although I’m not really sure if smart connect would cause this usually it causes issues with connecting in general to your wifi when their is a problem.

Mac clone is sometimes used with cable modems and isp that require “authorized” devices only be used in other words your isp keeps a list and any device not on the list is denied; Mac cloning impersonates the authorized devices MAC address to bypass this. So Mac cloning is unlikely an issue if your devices reach the internet.

IMG_0002.jpeg

I would set DNS Director’s global redirection to Router also to force all devices to use the routers dns as shown above.

I would also verify DNS is actually being sent to only the dns addresses you set and not defaulting to isp dns servers. Check https://www.dnsleaktest.com/

Lastly only other thing maybe coming to mind is maybe by some off chance TTL is timing out too soon. But I’m not really sure. ]

Others might have more suggestions.

Last edited:
Mac clone is sometimes used with cable modems and isp that require “authorized” devices only be used in other words your isp keeps a list and any device not on the list is denied; Mac cloning impersonates the authorized devices MAC address to bypass this. So Mac cloning is unlikely an issue if your devices reach the internet.

In this case cloning the Mac has nothing to do with authorization. See my previous post.

Thanks,

I used the modem to router cable when connected directly to the modem so that should be okay and the built in speedtest says I'm getting 403.20/33.39Mbps on a 500Mbps connection.

Can the Asus recovery tool be used to reflash Merlin or should I go back to stock (first)?

TTL settings are buried somewhere and can play with those but I'm not sure its something that would have changed.

Tracert details are provided below. Hopefully I'm not pasting anything revealing - please let me know if this should be deleted.

1689952888010.png

Timeouts along the trace are normal.

I would try forcing a a new WAN IP with Mac clone and see what effect it has.

Thanks,

I used the modem to router cable when connected directly to the modem so that should be okay and the built in speedtest says I'm getting 403.20/33.39Mbps on a 500Mbps connection.

Can the Asus recovery tool be used to reflash Merlin or should I go back to stock (first)?

TTL settings are buried somewhere and can play with those but I'm not sure its something that would have changed.

Tracert details are provided below. Hopefully I'm not pasting anything revealing - please let me know if this should be deleted.

View attachment 51857

A 10.X IP in the first hop away is suspicious. Your ISP may be using CGNAT or even just regular NAT, and who knows if some of their NATs have gotten blacklisted for abuse etc.

What is your WAN IP when connected using the Asus, and the PC's IP when connected directly (you can leave off the 4th octet of both if you want, but not a big deal).

I'd also do a check at "whatsmyip.net" using each connection method. When direct connected you may be getting a real IPv6 IP from the ISP instead of a NATed IPv4 setup.

The MAC Clone button in WAN boots the entire network offline. DNS Director is now enabled/set to Router and the DNS leak test does show Cloudflare:

1689955267501.png

The RT-AC5300 WAN IP says 174.44.233.xxx. That matches up with What's My IP, which says IPv6 is ::. I'll have to try connecting directly as the world permits me to take down the network again.

An observation after undoing the MAC Clone, most sites quickly refreshed but tinyGS seemed to take quite a white. Not sure if that means anything.

Last edited:
A 10.X IP in the first hop away is suspicious. Your ISP may be using CGNAT or even just regular NAT, and who knows if some of their NATs have gotten blacklisted for abuse etc.

What is your WAN IP when connected using the Asus, and the PC's IP when connected directly (you can leave off the 4th octet of both if you want, but not a big deal).

I'd also do a check at "whatsmyip.net" using each connection method. When direct connected you may be getting a real IPv6 IP from the ISP instead of a NATed IPv4 setup.

Oh your trying to get him to refresh his WAN address. Mines dynamic so rebooting my router provides me a new one each time. Forget some isp’s don’t do this.

The RT-AC5300 WAN IP says xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx That matches up with What's My IP, which says IPv6 is ::. I'll have to try connecting directly as the world permits me to take down the network again.

An observation after undoing the MAC Clone, most sites quickly refreshed but tinyGS seemed to take quite a white. Not sure if that means anything.
Shouldn’t post your full WAN address as it links back to your router directly.

Last edited:
“Can the Asus recovery tool be used to reflash Merlin or should I go back to stock (first)?”

I think it can, but I would go back to stock first then go to Merlin. That way you can see if the issue persists on stock.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!