What's new

MoCA 2.0 Actiontech ECB6000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hello, I just installed a pair of ECB6200 adapters and the best speed I was able to get with iPerf is 630Mbps. I noticed that in the configuration screen of the ECB6200 it shows an RX Phy Rate of 670Mbps (See screenshot).

Is this the Phy Rate of a single channel?

Looks like it. I'm getting 880 Mbps in both directions:

ss.jpg

I swapped out a 4 way splitter with the 2 way splitter that came with the adapters. I'm now getting 940 Mbps. This is the same speed I get between two systems connected by GigE so my ECB6200 adapters are now maxing out the ports on my GigE switches.

ss_new.jpg

I swapped out a 4 way splitter with the 2 way splitter that came with the adapters. I'm now getting 940 Mbps. This is the same speed I get between two systems connected by GigE so my ECB6200 adapters are now maxing out the ports on my GigE switches.

Thanks for the info! Looks like something in my test setup is causing the "slow" speeds :D .... Since I'm testing using a direct computer-to-computer connection, I'll try with different computers and ethernet cables.

[QUOTE="...
Total cable run between the ECB6200s is about 40 feet. The cable is all RG-6, splitters are 1GHz rated Extreme Broadband (I also have MoCA certified splitters but haven't used them yet).

I am on band D (high). I also enabled MoCA privacy, which was a bit of a pain because of the crappy web UI on the ECB6200.
[/QUOTE]
(my emphasis)

According to "MoCA 2.0 Specification for Device RF Characteristics" (20150406), band D is 1125-1675 MHz. Aren't your 1 GHz splitters in conflict with that?

I just tried replacing two ECB2200s with ECB6200s on my home network and the new ones are connecting. I get the power light but Coax never lights. Any ideas on why this might be happening and what I could do to troubleshoot? They are both plugged into coax wall jacks in my house, just like the old ones were.

I just tried replacing two ECB2200s with ECB6200s on my home network and the new ones are connecting. I get the power light but Coax never lights. Any ideas on why this might be happening and what I could do to troubleshoot? They are both plugged into coax wall jacks in my house, just like the old ones were.

OK, after a little more investigation, I can get the 6200s to work on two jacks downstairs, but not from 1st to 2nd floor the way the 2200s were working. I can get upstairs to connect with a 6200 downstairs and 2200 upstairs. Any ideas how I can get this to work?

OK, after a little more investigation, I can get the 6200s to work on two jacks downstairs, but not from 1st to 2nd floor the way the 2200s were working. I can get upstairs to connect with a 6200 downstairs and 2200 upstairs. Any ideas how I can get this to work?

A bit more investigation. I went to the cable box to see what is coming into the house. The main line comes into two Antronix 4 way splitters - CMC2004H. These are 5-1002Mhz. I am wondering if I replaced them with a couple of these 5-2400Mhz splitters if that would help the situation. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0113JAN8K/?tag=snbforums-20 It doesn't makes sense that they would work at all if the splitter was the problem but maybe I'm traversing two splitters going upstairs, and that pushed it over the edge. I believe the lines from the splitters are straight runs to the jacks because I have 7 jacks in the house and there are 2 daisy chained 4 way splitters, yielding 7 ports.

Really have to be careful - little story follows;

My CableCo decided it's high-time to move from Analog service for TV to SDV - so they sent me a little Cisco DTA box (already had an HD box on the main location) for the bedroom...

Installed RG-58 inside the house - pretty old, I've been here 22 years, and it was in place when I moved in - plug in the DTA - pretty bad - pixels, many missing channels, etc... so while it was fine for Analog (they push a lot of power down those frequencies), the RSSI and SNR levels reported by the DTA were poor...

Ended up pulling new RG-58 across 3 drops (two TV's, one Cable Modem) - replacing all splitters - crawling around in the attic, I did find an additional splitter, and it was old-school, and replaced the splitter at the main demarc - over years - adding digital telephone - one 2-way, and then broadband - another two-way, those were installed by the provider - replaced that with a high quality 3-way...

Solid TV and many less errors on the Cable Modem - much joy!

6 months of course, I moved to Satellite (direcTV in my case), and they wanted RG-6, but it's their dime for the install, and they pulled three drops of RG-6 - even after running a JDSU TimeDomain reflection test and frequency response, they decided RG-6 was the way to go...

A bit more investigation. I went to the cable box to see what is coming into the house. The main line comes into two Antronix 4 way splitters - CMC2004H. These are 5-1002Mhz. I am wondering if I replaced them with a couple of these 5-2400Mhz splitters if that would help the situation. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0113JAN8K/?tag=snbforums-20 It doesn't makes sense that they would work at all if the splitter was the problem but maybe I'm traversing two splitters going upstairs, and that pushed it over the edge. I believe the lines from the splitters are straight runs to the jacks because I have 7 jacks in the house and there are 2 daisy chained 4 way splitters, yielding 7 ports.
I initially had the same problem... Try reading the threads I created. Here--> http://www.snbforums.com/threads/moca-woes-help-1-1-works-but-2-0-does-not.30754/ and here--> http://www.snbforums.com/threads/more-moca-woes-heh.30895/

I suppose my situation is different since all the lines run to one location where they were connected to an amp with a pre-bypass to our modem and I had 2 ECB2100's, but hopefully my research helps.

Have three 6200s on the way. Should I expect to have to flash the firmware that was posted on page 7 of this thread, or should newer ones already have that? Anything else I can do to prepare? Currently have two ECB2500c units that work like a charm, but would like the increased speed. Am getting three so my one other computer that has COAX nearby can get off 802.11ac and hopefully get a bit more speed and a lot more stability.

Have three 6200s on the way. Should I expect to have to flash the firmware that was posted on page 7 of this thread, or should newer ones already have that? Anything else I can do to prepare? Currently have two ECB2500c units that work like a charm, but would like the increased speed. Am getting three so my one other computer that has COAX nearby can get off 802.11ac and hopefully get a bit more speed and a lot more stability.
I have not been hearing any recent complaints about problems with the 6200's. If you are curious, I would just try to login to the interface and see what firmware they are now using, there is a fair chance the new ones have already been updated to the linked firmware or something that superseded it. I would just use them the way you receive them right now, and if problems develop, then go change the firmware.

NaweG,

The firmware that was initially loaded on it should be on the underside of the node next to the MAC Address. I agree with what friendly said first. Otherwise, post back and we'll try and help.

Sorry this is such a late response, but the splitters you linked to are not MoCA rated. The failure rate with them on the Tivo forums is about 50%. I would suggest you consider something like this, http://www.techtoolsupply.com/CATV-MoCA-Rated-8-Way-Splitter-p/hol-ghs-8pro-m.htm . The way your have 2 splitters daisy chained, everything on the 2nd one is much lower than anything connected to the first one. As a rule, this should not be done. The installer probably simply didn't have the larger splitter handy, so you got what he had. The splitter I referred you to should eliminate that issue and give pretty much the same signal on all the ports.
You did not mention using a MoCA POE filter, but you should definitely be using one, it should be placed on the input of that first splitter to enter your home, this will secure your network, prevent your MoCA signals from interfering with your ISP's and neighbors equipment, and it has a "reflective" quality at the MoCA frequencies which will give them a significant boost. MoCA POE and Whole Home DVR filters are functionally the same. There are only 2 brands of MoCA 2.0 rated splitters, Verizon, and Holland. The Sunburst brand you get with Actiontec's new equipment is also, but so far as I know there are none available retail. Any open ports on splitters or wall outlets should be terminated with a 75 Ohm F-type terminator, readily available online or at some hardware stores.
Here is another source for the MoCA splitter. https://www.wiredathome.com/ghs-8pro-m-catv-moca-rated-8-way-splitter-holland-electronics/

Hi, I just purchased the ECB6200 and it is on the way. In the meantime, I went to check my cable box and taking pictures below. I'm wondering if I need to replace any splitter or if I need to re-arrange the cable plugs. I remember back then when the cable guy came to install cable internet, he said something about removing it from the splitter and hooking the internet line directly to the line to my modem to make my internet faster but didn't understand what he was talking about.

I only have Cable Internet, no cable TV or settlelite. I counted 5 coax wall plates in the entire house (1 in living room, 1 in dinning room and the other 3 in the 3 bedrooms. 1 of the bedroom on the second floor is connecting to my modem and then the modem connect to router and from router to my desktop.

Thanks in advance!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Unless I missed something, there was nothing on the bottom of the AC 6200s I just got that was for the firmware. Closest I could find was a hardware reference to 2A. I have installed, and so far the upstairs to downstairs link is as fast as I could hope. The link to the upstairs computer is about 1/3 that, but I have a sneaking suspicion that as a 2-3 year old computer that the built-in ethernet is probably only 100 rather than Gig. If I'm going to have the "slow down" issue, how long should it take? Or to put it otherwise, at what point am I able to think I'm safe if I don't see it?

What surprised me (in a good way) was how much faster the 6200s were. A file transfer of around 700 megs from the downstairs computer to the upstairs one that would take 10 minutes or more is now more like 2 minutes.

Hi, I just purchased the ECB6200 and it is on the way. In the meantime, I went to check my cable box and taking pictures below. I'm wondering if I need to replace any splitter or if I need to re-arrange the cable plugs. I remember back then when the cable guy came to install cable internet, he said something about removing it from the splitter and hooking the internet line directly to the line to my modem to make my internet faster but didn't understand what he was talking about.

I only have Cable Internet, no cable TV or settlelite. I counted 5 coax wall plates in the entire house (1 in living room, 1 in dinning room and the other 3 in the 3 bedrooms. 1 of the bedroom on the second floor is connecting to my modem and then the modem connect to router and from router to my desktop.

Thanks in advance!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
Hi,
First, I hope you realize that you need 2 MoCA devices to be able to do anything on MoCA. Second, the rule of thumb is to try it with the splitters you have now, if it works well enough for you, great, if the performance is intermittent, or subpar, then I would consider upgrading the splitters to the MoCA rated one's from either Verizon or Holland. The Verizon ones can be purchased directly from Verizon's equipment and accessories store, in the 2 and 4 way version, you can find others on Ebay. I gave 2 links for the Holland version earlier. Both of these are intermittently available on Amazon. Do not trust splitter descriptions that simply use "MoCA" or "MoCA compatible" in their descriptions, it is meaningless as almost all splitters theoretically can "work" with MoCA. The versions I have suggested have successfully replaced other versions many, many times.
One thing I cannot stress enough is to get and install a MoCA POE / Whole Home DVR filter on the input of that first splitter to enter your home, in your case that would be that Antronix 4 way.
One other thing, depending on the brand of cable modem you have, you may need an additional MoCA filter for it. The Arris/Motorola modems have a builtin MoCA filter, but not all brands do

Well, it appears the answer to my question is about 72 hours....

What's interesting is that the speed from the internet to the downstairs computer (so traveling through two of the devices) is just fine. But from the downstairs to the upstairs (all three devices) is now down from around 100 to about 20. I suppose I can powercycle, but I guess that longer term I should probably try to do the firmware upgrade. A little disappointing if Actiontech has known about this for months and still isn't shipping these with the updated firmware.

Well, spent some time tonight, and all three of them already had the "latest" firmware. Was tempted to start playing with the configuration options in the web interface, but chose not to. What I DID do was to switch the two upstairs around. I am now getting around 250 on both the downstairs AND the upstairs, and I am back to my "normal" 100 speed transferring between machines. I will be curious to see if in 72 hours I see the slowdown again or not.

Well, spent some time tonight, and all three of them already had the "latest" firmware. Was tempted to start playing with the configuration options in the web interface, but chose not to. What I DID do was to switch the two upstairs around. I am now getting around 250 on both the downstairs AND the upstairs, and I am back to my "normal" 100 speed transferring between machines. I will be curious to see if in 72 hours I see the slowdown again or not.
Not sure how you are measuring your transfer speed, but I suggest trying to use something like this, http://totusoft.com/lanspeed1/
http://totusoft.com/lanspeed1/
Create a share on both machines you are transferring between and use that for the testing, use a 1 or 2 GB file, and then see what that gives you as a speed rating. Even the 250Mbps is pretty slow with the 6200's and even with the 6000's you should get close to 400Mbps. Make sure neither one of your computers is using a fast Ethernet port, or has defaulted to 10/100 for some reason.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!