What's new

Modem fast, router slow

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

H. Bernstein

New Around Here
Hi. I have a new Asus RT-N12D1 and a cable modem. A laptop connected directly to the modem via ethernet cable pulls around 150 Mbps. But connect the modem to the router with the same cable, then connect the laptop to the router with a brand new ethernet cable (that came with the router), and throughput drops to around 25 Mbps. WiFi connection is about the same. The router has the latest firmware and has been rebooted, and I'm out of ideas. Anybody have a suggestion? Thanks, and have a good day! HB

Hi. I have a new Asus RT-N12D1 and a cable modem. A laptop connected directly to the modem via ethernet cable pulls around 150 Mbps. But connect the modem to the router with the same cable, then connect the laptop to the router with a brand new ethernet cable (that came with the router), and throughput drops to around 25 Mbps. WiFi connection is about the same. The router has the latest firmware and has been rebooted, and I'm out of ideas. Anybody have a suggestion? Thanks, and have a good day! HB

Did you reset the Asus router to factory default after the upgrade? Your Asus router only has 10/100 Mbps LAN and WAN ports, but, still, you should see around 80 to 90'ish Mbps throughput irregardless, if it's connected at 100Mbps between modem and router..

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Networking/RTN12_D1/specifications/

Thanks for the reply! I reset factory defaults, and throughput via LAN port is now around 60 Mbps -- not 80 -90, but a big improvement. However, WiFi throughput is still roughly 25 Mbps download and 35 Mbps upload to a laptop sitting 2 feet away from the router. Is that the best I can expect? If so, is a more expensive model going to improve the speed?

The RT-N12_D1 has a very slow CPU and looking around the internet ~70Mbps seems about typical for the wired connections. You should be able to achieve similar speeds with the wireless connection assuming the router is setup optimally and the client itself is capable. If your client only has 802.11g wireless then you won't see any improvement. Even with 802.11n you would be limited to a theoretical maximum of 72Mbps for a single antenna client (much less in reality).

The RT-N12_D1 is very old and I'd think almost any contemporary router would be a huge improvement. Check out the reviews on SNB for the RT-AC68U and RT-AC86U for examples of throughput. But also check the capabilities of your client device.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!