What's new

Multifunction printer working via LPR...scanner not working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sammarbella

Occasional Visitor
I have a Canon Pixma MG3550 multifunction (printer/scanner) connected and working in USB 2.0 port of RT-AC87U via LPR to windows 8.1 64.

The printer function works fine but it's not detected as scanner so i can't scan anything.

Anybody knows if it's possible to do this and how? :confused:

Go to the Canon website and download the software.

Go to the Canon website and download the software.

WOW! That's a good reply!

Way better than: "Use google!"

What software from canon?

Must i download the "special one" to use asuswrt printer sharing LPR mode with access to scanner functions?

:rolleyes:

I already have all the drivers downloaded and the multifunction works properly scanner function included if it's attached DIRECTLY via usb or used via wifi.

The multifunction also works as printer attached to the usb port of RT-AC87U with latest Merlin firmware installed.

What i can't use is the scanner function.

I don't know if it's possible as i said in my first post.

What i know for sure is if i ask this same question in canon website a "genius" at canon support will say me something like this:

"Go to the Asus website and download the software."

:rolleyes:

I just register to comment on this.
Just like Sammerbella, I have Canon Printer but use LPR mode via a Draytek router. And I found out that the Windows LPR facility supports printing ONLY.

If someone uses Asus can find what printer can support Print and Scan function of some protocol:
But if you use LPR to scan, that is not possible.
It does not matter what router you use, but Windows LPR mode itself. It only supports print NOT scan.

Hi, is there a reason for connecting it using the router's USB port and not use the printer's built-in wifi capability?

I've never used Canon, but my HP multifunction printer works flawlessly through wifi.

Don't know if it's helpful but I use the free version of Virtualhere to share a scanner attached to the router USB port. Maybe you can do the same for a combined printer/scanner.

I have a Canon Pixma MG3550 multifunction (printer/scanner) connected and working in USB 2.0 port of RT-AC87U via LPR to windows 8.1 64.

The printer function works fine but it's not detected as scanner so i can't scan anything.

Anybody knows if it's possible to do this and how? :confused:

LPR is for printing only. There isn't really any standard for network scanning. Some are detected by Windows and work, but you usually have to use their built in networking, not a print server.

If the printer has built in networking just enable that and disconnect it from the Asus, then download and install the drivers as normal.

Hi, is there a reason for connecting it using the router's USB port and not use the printer's built-in wifi capability?

I've never used Canon, but my HP multifunction printer works flawlessly through wifi.
If you have only a PC with one printer, that's good. But if you have multi pc and only one printer, like a home office, the company then you must have a printer server or use LPR. Actually, the printer can run server-like itself via wifi. I don't know that your HP printer has this problem, but my Canon is really bugged me. Like when you print from one pc, and use another pc to print it usually (not always) has an error saying that another pc is currently used. Can not print or scan even that pc printed, turn it off. Restart the printer does not help either. The only to fix this is remove device from control panel and add device again, really wastes my time. Besides that wifi function does not support turn on while in sleep mode.
So another left is to use one of a computer for the printer server. The only problem with this is the one pc used as a printer server must always on.

I see. Maybe there's a firmware update that addresses this issue? I found this updater tool at Canon Asia: https://asia.canon/en/support/0400150802

Hope it helps
Thank you for your help, but unfortunately, it doesn't work with my Canon E series. I tried reaching out to Canon support, but they blamed my Windows and said that there is no updated firmware available. I am still using a print server since. I only recently learned about the LPR mode, but I just discovered that it doesn't support the scan function.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!