What's new

Multiple modems on one network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PB11

New Around Here
Greetings.

Because of the dynamic in my household and limitations of data allowance on Bell wireless Internet, I'm forced to have two separate services(modems) in a single home.
Currently I have it running on a completely separate wired networks, but I'm wondering if I set it up on different subnets if I can have two modems on the same network.

I'm assuming this would perform like a VLAN, but I am uncertain with the two separate modems.
any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Do you actually mean "modems", or do you mean "routers" (which may or may not have an integrated modem)?

2 bell modems/routers. 2 seperate iternet connections.
one is assigning dhcp for the entire house.
i would set the second modem with no dhcp and would assign static ips to the devices needing to access this bandwidth.
my thought is modem one on ip range 192.168.1.0,subnet 255.255.255.0 second network 192.168.2.0, subnet 255.255.255.0

Last edited:
2 bell modems/routers. 2 seperate iternet connections.
one is assigning dhcp for the entire house.
i would set the second modem with no dhcp and would assign static ips to the devices needing to access this bandwidth.
my thought is modem one on ip range 192.168.1.0,subnet 255.255.255.0 second network 192.168.2.0, subnet 255.255.255.0

That's certainly one strategy, but why bother placing the second router on a different IP network from the first router if the second router is going to be assigned as a gateway to devices via static IP assignments? Having more than one IP network is usually a headache (e.g., network discovery doesn't normally work across IP networks). Usually ppl resort to multiple IP networks in a case like this because they want to use DHCP w/ *both* routers, and while you could split the DHCP pool between the two routers, it's hard to provide load balancing when you have multiple WANs unless that process is controlled by a single *master* router. But as I said, you're willing to assign static IPs (and netmask, gateway IP, DNS servers, etc.) manually w/ the second router anyway. So in effect you're implementing your own (crude) form of load balancing. So just use *one* IP network.

Ok. That makes sense. Thanks @eibgrad
I thought I would need to isolate each pool of traffic to minimize conflict. I'm assuming the key point is the gateway. Once a machine is pointed to a certain gateway the traffic goes there and only there. Any switch in the middle should do what its meant to do and that just pass along the traffic. Correct?

the traffic is still going across common cables. That is where the conflict occurs in ethernet. As a practical matter, with Gbit based equipment and cables you are unlikely to see the effect unless you have some very high loads like running a server with lots of demand.

Is one of these ISP services for external traffic e.g. are you running an externally open server or similar ?
Physically isolating your two nets might make sense from a security standpoint.

Otherwise, if not and you are only trying to get dedicated bandwidth, most would use a dual WAN router with QOS and load balancing. Then use VLANs to isolate traffic for the different subnets you want. A level 3 managed switch would be useful.

There are a few threads discussing how to do the above if you search through the lan (wired) forums.

It would help us help you if your would describe what you are functionally trying to do.

Thanks @degrub. Main reason for 2 isp services is data limitations. Country internet only allows 350 GB per service.
Router/modem One is utilized for home automation (close to 100 devices), media consumption, and my work(remote accessing pc's).

Second router/modem serves my wife's on call work which is very data heavy. Can be up to 30 gb a day.

Currently have both completely isolated, which requires me to redirect my workstation to support or repair either. I was considering putting both on the same network for ease of access. Its Bell, so it always requires something.

I do have a managed switch on network one.