What's new

N66u and an irc bouncer?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PeterPasm

Occasional Visitor
Hello

As the title says, I'm looking for a simple solution to keep my authed irc connection open when I turn off my computers at nights. I did search around the forum (and on the web) but my findings are not that conclusive sadly. Some place says that I should install Entware, others says that Optware is the way to go, and some suggest that I should really stick with AsusWrt if I don't want troubles, etc...

Please somebody who has experience in the subject help me out what should I use, or how would it be possible to achieve my goal. I do not need fancy features here, all I need is that my router could download a few things when I sleep, and I want my irc connection kept open as well.

i run Merlin's latest fw (3.0.0.4_374.36_beta1) and I also have a HDD connected to the usb port which I'm willing to format to ext3 if that's needed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Noble Regards,
Peter

Hello

As the title says, I'm looking for a simple solution to keep my authed irc connection open when I turn off my computers at nights. I did search around the forum (and on the web) but my findings are not that conclusive sadly. Some place says that I should install Entware, others says that Optware is the way to go, and some suggest that I should really stick with AsusWrt if I don't want troubles, etc...

Please somebody who has experience in the subject help me out what should I use, or how would it be possible to achieve my goal. I do not need fancy features here, all I need is that my router could download a few things when I sleep, and I want my irc connection kept open as well.

i run Merlin's latest fw (3.0.0.4_374.36_beta1) and I also have a HDD connected to the usb port which I'm willing to format to ext3 if that's needed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Noble Regards,
Peter

You can install irssi client in entware to do so

You can install irssi client in entware to do so

Thank you for your suggestion, I will look into it.
The reason that I addressed SNB with my question was that I'm quite new to this whole "running things on the router" story, so I'm a little confused what path should I learn/take now.
I will give it a try by following Merlin's Transmission Installation Guide, and see where it will get me.

edit: I guess if I go with Entware, then I will need a new media server too, or not? Do you happen to have any suggestion for that as well?

Last edited:
Thank you for your suggestion, I will look into it.
The reason that I addressed SNB with my question was that I'm quite new to this whole "running things on the router" story, so I'm a little confused what path should I learn/take now.
I will give it a try by following Merlin's Transmission Installation Guide, and see where it will get me.

edit: I guess if I go with Entware, then I will need a new media server too, or not? Do you happen to have any suggestion for that as well?

The media server is built into the firmware, so it's not affected by your choice of a software repository. It's Download Master that will be affected.

The media server is built into the firmware, so it's not affected by your choice of a software repository. It's Download Master that will be affected.

Thank you very much for you answer Merlin, I already figured that out. I'm also done with the Entware installation by your guide (I did not make a swap partition tho, I hope it's not a problem), and I'm fighting with the BNC part now. I'm usually a fast learner but this is all very new to me and nothing seems to work (I'm so noob, I can't even make a new restricted user to run the irc bouncer yet, so you can imagine) .

I might ask more if I can't figure it out by myself.

Thanks in advance
Peter

So I had some free time again to look into this and I think I beginning to understand some things here. I chosen ZNC bouncer because that's the most respected one around the net and it's also included in the same repo where I installed transmission from.

As far as I understand the router just deletes everything which doesn't go to the usb hard drive, and some files are getting installed to "wrong" locations. If I just install the thing with "opkg install znc" than it creates config files and folders in the home folder of the root users, but those files are never really made, so when I try to start it, then it just quits, because there is no place it can work.

However there is a command line option to set a working/config directory manually, and I did so, and pointed it to /mnt/sda1/znc and copied the files there from everywhere (even the .so files from /opt/lib to the /mnt/sda1/znc/modules/). With this done, I was able to finally start the znc server with znc -r -d /mnt/sda1/znc where -r suppresses the warning about I should never run it as root (still sits there for 30 sec and warns about it tho), and where -d defines a custom working folder for the server.

Now it still doesn't start with /opt/etc/init.d/S99znc start , because the custom working folder is not set that way, but it do start if I do it from the command line described above. It's running all right, but it's not really usable because there are some socket errors too, so I can connect my client from the LAN and also issue commands there, but the server can't connect to any irc server on the WAN side just yet (yes I did open the firewall). But first things first, I don't worry about the WAN part just yet, because I want to have it running automatically after boot without problems first, so I could install some znc-mod-* modules, then I want to make a restricted user somehow to run znc without root rights if that's even possible.

I think there are symlink and permission problems what I need to solve before the installation or perhaps I can force it to install itself to somewhere else. I also saw that Merlin is symlink-ing in the post-mount script on the jffs, perhaps I will try to make a link there too... Just not really sure yet what is needed to be linked and what needs to stay the way it is... So there is a lot to experiment/learn.

Well I think these are the things I will try to figure out next time when I will have some spare moments to spend.

Last edited:
On this again til lunch

So hard that there is virtually no information about this on the web, I can't even find any info how do I add a new user, none of the "common" commands work. Can anyone help me out a little please?
I would need to create a new user and run znc -c -d /mnt/sda1/znc , so it would not run the server as a root. If it's too time consuming then I'm fine with reading and learning too if there is a documentation somewhere, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Peter

Update:

All done and working perfectly. I could not make a new user, but managed to configure everything else.

Thanks for all the help,
Peter

I have a Asus N66U, Entware is installed and a 2GB USB Stick (ext3) is connected to the router. I could install znc and started it (prior to seeing this thread) and configured it with znc --makeconf. However now I am at a loss of what to do next. Could you maybe if you have time go a bit more into detail on how you got everything running?

Kind regards

I have a Asus N66U, Entware is installed and a 2GB USB Stick (ext3) is connected to the router. I could install znc and started it (prior to seeing this thread) and configured it with znc --makeconf. However now I am at a loss of what to do next. Could you maybe if you have time go a bit more into detail on how you got everything running?

Kind regards

Alright got it running myself. However one last thing remains how to create a regular non-root user on the router?

Hi ,

I'm terribly sorry I did not reply, but I did not receive any kind of mail about this thread's activity, none whatsoever. I just saw this thread randomly and was wondering why is it showing up as new.
I'm happy that you made it running, but I can't help you with your last question, I could not figure it out myself, because none of the common unix/linux user-creation methods led me to any success.
I did install a mod called fail2ban with very strict settings (60min ban after just 2 failed attempts), and I just hope that (and the other restrictions I used) will be enough to keep me "safe".

Good luck, and again, please accept my apologies for not replying when you asked for help:(

There is a couple things you need to do to make ZNC work properly, I will go through the setup.

First make sure you have Entware installed.

Then in a terminal:

Code:
opkg install znc

After its done installing you need to create a new config file:

Code:
znc -d /opt/share/znc -c

Go through the dialogs to add a user and a server. Then you need to open the znc.conf file in /opt/share/znc/configs/ and add this line to the top:

Code:
LoadModule = droproot nobody nobody
(ZNC says this should be "LoadModule = droproot nobody nogroup" but we need to change this to what I have above)

Now you should be able to start znc with:

Code:
/opt/etc/init.d/S99znc start

If all went okay you should be able to open your irc client and connect to your routers ip, normally 192.168.1.1.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!