What's new

Name resolution in home network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

henrikk

Occasional Visitor
So, what are my options when using the RT-N66U for getting name resolution insider the "home" network? One option it to install a full DNS server on a machine and point the RT-N66U DNS to it. Are there any easier alternatives? I do not see dnsmasq anywhere in the RT menus. Is that an option?

I would like internal name resolution on Mac, Linux and (maybe) Windows systems.

Any suggestions?

- Henrik

Last edited:
I would like internal name resolution on Mac, Linux and (maybe) Windows systems.

Any suggestions?
Hi Henrik,

The 'hosts' file shall become your best friend to accomplish the name resolution on all platforms... :rolleyes:

I do the same: One hosts file is holding all my device names and IP addresses.
Of course you need to have fixed IP address asignments: Either on the devices or on the router (via DNS server).

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

So, what are my options when using the RT-N66U for getting name resolution insider the "home" network? One option it to install a full DNS server on a machine and point the RT-N66U DNS to it. Are there any easier alternatives? I do not see dnsmasq anywhere in the RT menus. Is that an option?

Any suggestions?

- Henrik

The router already does LAN name resolution through dnsmasq. Just make sure you do specify a local domain (for example blah.lan). You will then be able to resolve your computers by their hostnames (pc1.blah.lan).

Thank you Merlin. That is what I needed to know... and I have verified it works for me.

Thanks!

-Henrik

before upgrading to beta1 I just could reach my 2 linux samba server by using the names of the server.

now I use dhcp with manual assignment and I can only reach them by IP not with name anymore.

Can someone tell my why?

Where do I specify the local domain?

lost...

\edit

by using nslookup command in win7, i get the correct ip when i type the name of the server, but not when i ping the name ....

\update

since it worked from other computers ... it obviously was a bad software (toolbar addon and stuff) which broke windows. This helped:

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults : netsh winsock reset catalog
Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults : netsh int ip reset reset.log
Flush DNS resolver cache : ipconfig /flushdns
Flush routing table : route /f (reboot required)

source:

http://superuser.com/questions/495759/why-is-ping-unable-to-resolve-a-name-when-nslookup-works-fine

Last edited: