What's new

Namecheap and DDNS issue with sub.mydomain.net

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JohnnyBeGood

Regular Contributor
RMerlin,

Is this something that could be fixed maybe in the future releases?
It definitely messes with OpenVPN.

Thank you for all of work!

linux.JPG

ddns.jpg

What's the problem? Mine works fine with my own domain.

On example of the problem is that when I download OpenVPN config file it download hostname as "linux" and not as "linux.mydomain.net" so when I try to connect remotly its trying to connect to linux.

After DynDNS went with paid route I've setup couple of sub domains for my family members. So I can't update all of my subdomains.

Just curious how do you have your namechep setup on the WAN >> DDNS page?

The same as yours. Will need to doublecheck OpenVPN functionality since I haven't played with it lately.

You can just modify the remote line in the .ovpn file that you download to match the full domain name entry. This is what I needed to do in order to have the open VPN clients connect back to my router. I'm also using Namecheap.

I realize this is an old thread, but through I would chime in that I struggled for a bit with the same issue. Figured it out after a bit, but it would be nice if it coud be done in a way where the firmware recognizes it's DDNS name properly when using namecheap and one didn't have to know they had to edit the ovpn file.

Last edited:
If you use the Custom DDNS option you'll get the desired result, see here for the custom DDNS script for Namecheap. As for copying and pasting, this is more a browser issue.