What's new

Nas to nas over the internet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

helio58

Regular Contributor
Hi, I need some advise

I have a qnap with two virtual machines
and openvpn server running on Qnap.
Asus AC68 connect to the internet.

I want to help my parents abroad how have a qnap too.
That qnap is connect to the internet with a Zyxel router.

My thoughts.
Install Openvpn on my asus AC68.

On my parents, buy a asus AC68 and connect to my openvpn server as a client.
In this way, is it possible to see the computers in both places?
I mean the computers shares and nas?

Is there another solution?
Thanks

If it's only for remote assistance, you don't need a permanent tunnel. Just run OpenVPN on their NAS, and connect to it using the desktop OpenVPN clients as needed.

If you want access to their whole LAN and not just the NAS, then having OpenVPN running on their router is the simplest.

If it's only for remote assistance, you don't need a permanent tunnel. Just run OpenVPN on their NAS, and connect to it using the desktop OpenVPN clients as needed.

If you want access to their whole LAN and not just the NAS, then having OpenVPN running on their router is the simplest.

Thanks RMerlin,
just talk to my parents they have order one asus AC68 router.
I want to access their whole Lan as they may access to same directories in my nas .
Using openvpn server on my side and openvpn client on theirs we should work.
Is there same settings to thing about in the configuration?
Thanks

Be warned that having a bi-directional tunnel might require a fair amount of work to get working, but I know people have done so in the past using my firmware - check the forums for their posts.

Make sure that your network and your parent's are on different subnets, to avoid any conflict (i.e. use 192.168.10.xxx for your home, and 192.168.20.xxx for theirs).

Be warned that having a bi-directional tunnel might require a fair amount of work to get working, but I know people have done so in the past using my firmware - check the forums for their posts.

Make sure that your network and your parent's are on different subnets, to avoid any conflict (i.e. use 192.168.10.xxx for your home, and 192.168.20.xxx for theirs).
Thank you,
will use different subnets.

RMerlin, the bi-directional tunnel is easy to set up as TUN or TAP?
Trying to read as much as possible how to set it up.
Thanks

The QNAP's can build the tunnel, and work with QNAP Cloud. Shouldn't have to do much with the routers/modem in between..

Check the QNAP forums, and worst case, check with their Customer Care folks - which are fairly competent...

The QNAP's can build the tunnel, and work with QNAP Cloud. Shouldn't have to do much with the routers/modem in between..

Check the QNAP forums, and worst case, check with their Customer Care folks - which are fairly competent...

The tunnel won't route to the rest of the LAN however. That's what I explained my my earlier post.

RMerlin, the bi-directional tunnel is easy to set up as TUN or TAP?
Trying to read as much as possible how to set it up.
Thanks

Go with TUN. TAP might make it easier to bridge two networks, however it requires a lot of special care in ensuring you don't encounter any issues.

Have set up server and client.
I can ping the nas and computer on the server side but no luck with the client lan side.
I think that its the "iroute 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0" that i don't know where to put.
Tried on /jffs/configs/openvpn/ccd1/ and ccd2 file client but no luck
Please if someone have same tips let me know
Thanks

Hi,
Can any share a server site-to-site server configuration?
2 asus RT-AC68U router. 2-3 clients on both ends?