What's new

NAS with SSD TRIM Support?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yes, Synology 713+ NAS supports SSD TRIM!

Hello,
I too was looking for a NAS that will let me use SSDs and supports TRIM. That is very important to me because I want the SSDs to last a LONG time. I asked this question here and received an answer!

There are more NAS units at the answer (some big), but this is the NAS I ended up buying and it fully supports TRIM on a list of nice SSDs. But I specifically got an Intel SSD because I find them to be reliable with good warranty etc.

Happy NASing! :)

-Sergio

Not in a NAS, but I have three 128GB Samsung SSDs. The oldest has been in use as the boot drive in a Win 7 PC, heavily used every day for my job/home, with zero issues for a year or so.

When I win the lottery, my NAS can go SSD!

Hello,
I too was looking for a NAS that will let me use SSDs and supports TRIM. That is very important to me because I want the SSDs to last a LONG time. I asked this question here and received an answer!

There are more NAS units at the answer (some big), but this is the NAS I ended up buying and it fully supports TRIM on a list of nice SSDs. But I specifically got an Intel SSD because I find them to be reliable with good warranty etc.

Happy NASing! :)

-Sergio

You're using the NAS drives to form the RAID array or as a solid state caching drive (I know the new Synology DSM 4.3 supports an SSD cache drive now) in a NAS? I'm guessing to form the RAID since you linked to a 2 bay NAS.

I've read very few (I couldn't find one off the top of my head) reviews using an SSD drive as a cache drive and the results were not really spectacular (and it also required a big RAM upgrade to the NAS to be able to use the cache for some reason).

Can't the fastest spinning drives (a WD Re black 4tb has a sustained transfer rate of 171 MB/s) in a high performance NAS already saturate the 125MB/s theoretical on a gigabit connection? Even if you aggregated network connections I still am uncertain of the benefit.

I think building a home server system using SSD RAID5 using big SSDs would be fun. It might be expensive still. Looks like Intel has some new RAID cards which would work. You would need a motherboard to match the RAID cards. I wonder what kind of speed you could achieve with a 5 SSD RAID5. I guess 10 gig would be required for the transport media.

I believe Crucial's CT960M500 is the best bang for buck in widely available production SSDs (960gb for around $680 street) but if I was a betting man I think a high performance NAS with fast enterprise SATA III drives and decent RAM (I'm talking off the shelf high level Synology, QNAP, Thecus, etc) could come close to saturating GigE, and even w/ LACP I think it would be restricted by the CPU and/or file system performance before the drive read speed would be weakest link.

I've read that a lot of cloud storage/server providers use SSDs these days (you can even get an SSD based account at Rackspace, and probably AWS too) but it's mostly to house the databases that do the back end and often still rely on spinning drives to serve up actual data.

This article from wired is a year old but still pretty interesting.
http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2012/06/flash-data-centers/all/

Can't the fastest spinning drives (a WD Re black 4tb has a sustained transfer rate of 171 MB/s) in a high performance NAS already saturate the 125MB/s theoretical on a gigabit connection?
I agree with that!!! My gigE LAN is often the bottleneck. I wonder when a PC can push 10gigE with an add-in NIC on the right kind of bus in the PC? But more over, I guess an affordable NAS with 10gigE is a long way off. Or some sort of eSATA to 10gigE without IP protocols, as a kludge.

Hi,
SSD may be more reliable tahn ordinary HDs. What is the typical MTBF between two?

Hi,
SSD may be more reliable tahn ordinary HDs. What is the typical MTBF between two?

There's not a "typical" difference. A lot of SSD lifespan is influenced by the OS and it's ability to support features like the TRIM command and other wear leveling features.

Most drive manufacturers make (both SSD & spinning HD) in consumer & enterprise versions, the difference usually being things like lifespan expectations and warranty. That said, in a RAID for my use I use WD Reds, they're not an enterprise drive, but they cost about half as much and...they're in a RAID. Who cares if one fails in a few years?

I recently posted a link to an article in wired I believe about Dropbox using tons of SSDs in their cloud servers on machines that actually ran the database behind the app, and they were quoted as saying they get roughly equivalent lifespan of their SSDs vs mechanical drives.

I have to admit I'm still kind of curious why OP is hot on doing an SSD storage RAID. I haven't found a review yet that shows SSDs in a NAS device RAID configuration are opening up any more txfr bandwidth than high performance drives in a relatively high performance NAS.

Last edited: