What's new

Navidrome

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GoTeamScotch

New Around Here
I've recently discovered the "Spotify-like" software Navidrome which is basically a web-based music player that runs a simple website allowing a user to playback their local music library over LAN or the internet (and smartphones).

ss-desktop-player.png

It's open source and cross-platform. It already has several binaries available that people have built from source, including builds for TrueNAS, Arch Linux, and ARM based devices (like Raspberry Pi's).

1650488868616.png

My first instinct is that I would love to be able to run this from my Asus RT-AX88U (running Asuswrt-Merlin), since it's a low-powered device that is already always powered-on and on my home network. The router has a quad-core 1.8ghz 64-bit ARM based CPU (Broadcom BCM49408 / ARM v8 Cortex-B53) and can run ffmpeg (which Navidrome requires), so it could be a potential candidate. They have pre-built binaries targeting ARM CPU's, but I'm not sure how compatible those would be since Asuswrt is "Linux-like" and not actually Linux under the hood.

I guess I'm sort of brainstorming and trying to wrap my head around how to go about doing this, whether I need to build from source or if I can use one of the existing binaries. Any pointers from Asuswrt wizards would be appreciated.

I've recently discovered the "Spotify-like" software Navidrome which is basically a web-based music player that runs a simple website allowing a user to playback their local music library over LAN or the internet (and smartphones).

ss-desktop-player.png

It's open source and cross-platform. It already has several binaries available that people have built from source, including builds for TrueNAS, Arch Linux, and ARM based devices (like Raspberry Pi's).

View attachment 40914

My first instinct is that I would love to be able to run this from my Asus RT-AX88U (running Asuswrt-Merlin), since it's a low-powered device that is already always powered-on and on my home network. The router has a quad-core 1.8ghz 64-bit ARM based CPU (Broadcom BCM49408 / ARM v8 Cortex-B53) and can run ffmpeg (which Navidrome requires), so it could be a potential candidate. They have pre-built binaries targeting ARM CPU's, but I'm not sure how compatible those would be since Asuswrt is "Linux-like" and not actually Linux under the hood.

I guess I'm sort of brainstorming and trying to wrap my head around how to go about doing this, whether I need to build from source or if I can use one of the existing binaries. Any pointers from Asuswrt wizards would be appreciated.
I will take a look at this and give you some feedback shortly.

It looks like your router would probably be able to run the navidrome_0.47.5_Linux_arm64.tar.gz. I am not sure what all needs to be done instructional wise to set it up yet. I am sure it can be peiced together from this page.

If you had chrooted debian setup through entware, setting this up following those directions should be rather simple once inside the debian chroot. Otherwise you would have to taylor everything to running differently with unknown stipulations and stumbling blocks along the way.

Last edited:
Hmmm...so this will let me set up a streaming server on my router for various playback machines both on and beyond my network? I've kodi for my HTPC and a bunch of HiFiBerry RasPis connected in various rooms to various speakers, and that OS probably shares a language with this. I'd be interested in giving it a whack if someone handled the heavy lifting of making it work with Merlin...a GUI tab would be awesome!

Hmmm...so this will let me set up a streaming server on my router for various playback machines both on and beyond my network? I've kodi for my HTPC and a bunch of HiFiBerry RasPis connected in various rooms to various speakers, and that OS probably shares a language with this. I'd be interested in giving it a whack if someone handled the heavy lifting of making it work with Merlin...a GUI tab would be awesome!
Yea not likely to happen, I don't know of any devs who work with debian chroot on Asuswrt-Merlin. It is kind of like running Plex media server on your router. I have yet to see any addon's in such regards.

You would have to first set up guides like

to get your self an active debian chroot up and running.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!