What's new

Need help with with wpa supplement

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tgenius

New Around Here
hello! I have an Asus RT86u that I’m trying to get to run the wpa supplement to remove the ATT gateway, I’m following the following steps
https://github.com/bypassrg/att

I’m pretty close to the end however the issue I’m having is the files were compiled for an Rt68u which I believe is arm7 2.6, but my device uses arm7 3.2.

For the life of me I can’t figure out how I’m supposed to compile those 3 files from the source in 3.2? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Surely there’s backwards compatibility? It’ll tell you if dependencies are missing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately not. It throws errors saying it’s not compatible with the version I’m running, the 86u is 3.2 and the build of the wpa supplicant is 2.6 so not sure if that’s why it’s not working?

Surely there’s backwards compatibility? It’ll tell you if dependencies are missing.

Hello,
Specifically, this is the error thrown when I try to run:
opkg install -d opt libubus_2018-10-06-221ce7e7-1_armv7-2.6.ipk

Unknown package 'libubus'.

Collected errors:

* pkg_hash_fetch_best_installation_candidate: Packages for libubus found, but incompatible with the architectures configured

* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package libubus.

I haven’t looked at the github link you posted, which likely holds clues as to why you’re having troubles.

I haven’t looked at the github link you posted, which likely holds clues as to why you’re having troubles.

Thank you for the quick response! The author of the github says you will need to re-compile the supplicant for the correct arm version. There are 3 files in particular that had to be compiled:
opkg install -d opt libubus_2018-10-06-221ce7e7-1_armv7-2.6.ipk
opkg install -d opt hostapd-common_2018-12-02-c2c6c01b-6_armv7-2.6.ipk
opkg install -d opt wpa-supplicant_2018-12-02-c2c6c01b-6_armv7-2.6.ipk

As you can see the 3 of them were compiled for armv7-2.6, when my entware version for the RT86u is based off this version of entware:
wget -O - http://bin.entware.net/armv7sf-k3.2/installer/generic.sh | sh

I'm not a programmer in the slightest so I'm stuck :(

As I understand it, the rt-ac86u is based on kernel 4.1x. Something may have replaced the package/dependency over the span of the kernel upgrades.
You’re going to have to dig deeper, I’m afraid.

As I understand it, the rt-ac86u is based on kernel 4.1x. Something may have replaced the package/dependency over the span of the kernel upgrades.
You’re going to have to dig deeper, I’m afraid.

Ok, that makes sense. Who would be a good resource to ask about that, or perhaps the correct way for me to ask it, so it makes sense? I appreciate immensely the responses though!

Perhaps you can go back to the resource that pointed you to this one on GitHub and see if anyone there has advice for you. There might be a much better, easier, sexier way of doing what you want to accomplish

EDIT:
read this page https://github.com/bypassrg/att/blob/master/README.md
the author specifically states you have to let them know if it doesn't work, so you'll need to reach out. do you have a github account? I'll bet they walk you through the setup themselves. It's usually always a very small oversight that gums up the works.

Last edited:
The default Entware install for the RT-AC86U is armv8 64-bit (or aarch64). Make sure you aren't trying to mix components that are armv7 32-bit with armv8 64-bit.

The default Entware install for the RT-AC86U is armv8 64-bit (or aarch64). Make sure you aren't trying to mix components that are armv7 32-bit with armv8 64-bit.

RMerlin,
Thanks for the input. I'm basing everything on the Entware armv7 to go along with the instructions provided by bypassrg on the github. He mentions that if your using a different router than the RT-AC68u (which is 2.6 I believe) that you need to recompile for the version that corresponds to you. I have no clue how to recompile the wpa supplicant he apparently created based on 2.6. What would I need to do? I tried looking at the packages list for the armv7 3.2 and didn't find any of the 3 files that had been compiled.

Actually if I could get the files and go the way of aarch64 i would go that route too. He mentioned also something about the wpa supplicant being too old on the build which is why he had to update it or something along those lines?

Last edited:
I don't know, I never tried to cross-compile a package against Entware. I assume they must have build instructions on their site.

I don't know, I never tried to cross-compile a package against Entware. I assume they must have build instructions on their site.

RMerlin, do you know what version of wpa_supplicant is included in the latest build (if at all)?

Is there any plans to bump up to a newer build at some point, ie. on the roadmap somewhere?

Not by me. I have no way of testing it to ensure that an upgrade wouldn't break existing functionality.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!