What's new

[Need Help Plz] RT-AX86U not picking up WAN IP from XB7

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

NotDW

New Around Here
Hi guys, I really need your help to figure out what's happening with my ASUS router. 🧐

Background: I am in Canada and been with Rogers for many years - currently I am using the Technicolor TG4482 (XB7) gateway. For the past few years, I've been putting my Rogers gateway in bridge mode and use an Asus RT-AX86U as a router. Couple months ago I added an AX55 to the network and formed an AiMesh network for better coverage.

The combination worked well until last Friday. I was watching videos on YouTube and all of the sudden all connections dropped. The WAN LED on AX86U turned to red from white. I was panic at the time as this happened in the past and usually I do the power cycle and it would become normal. This time I had done a few power cycles on both modem and router and none of it worked. I slept on it and the other day the issue was still not resolved. I did a lot of Internet search (this is how I found this forum) and I read almost every post that I can possible find. No one seems to have had the same issues. I've tried everything I could but no luck. I am posting to seek helps from professionals.

Ways I've tried but none seem to have worked:

1. Power cycle (modem and router)
2. Hard reset (modem and router)
3. Update to Merlin firmware (current firmware: 3.0.0.4.384_9173)
4. Change DNS setting to 1.1.1.1
5. Change WAN setting from "Aggressive" to "Normal" (note it was always on Aggressive mode)
6. Disable / Enable IPv6
7. Connect to the 2.5Gbps port instead

I had to call my ISP and had them to restore my modem on their end. I had my laptop connected to my modem (bridge mode and gateway mode), and laptop picked up WAN IP address instantly. I had my AX55 connected to the modem (bridge mode) and it picked up WAN IP as well. The issue seems to be with my AX86u but I can't really think of anything I've done wrong to my router.

I've attached a screenshot of my ASUS GUI. The AX86u is not picking up WAN IP address, no DNS, no gateway, can't seem to renew the lease.

I tried to manually update the firmware downloaded from Asus.com and I failed to do that.
It does not give me any error message it reboots automatically when the update is completed, but when I log into the router it stays in the old firmware.

It has been more than 5 days and it's really driving me crazy at this point. 😖 I don't know if this makes sense but I think my router bricked. Despite all the LED lights still working well (white and red), my router has no connectivity whatsoever.

Luckily I am still able to work on my AX55 as a workaround, but the AX86u has better performance and I'd like to use it as my main router.

Any helps and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_1629.jpg
    IMG_1629.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 36
Welcome to the forums @NotDW.

It's not possible to have an RT-AX86U and have RMerlin firmware 3.0.0.4.384_9173 on it.

Welcome to the forums @NotDW.

It's not possible to have an RT-AX86U and have RMerlin firmware 3.0.0.4.384_9173 on it.
Thank you @L&LD you saved my life

I think this is why my router was acting weird. In case someone run into my issue again, I will post the solution here:

I went on Asus.com and downloaded their firmware restoration tool, connected my router to the laptop, force installed the latest firmware, now it’s back to alive.

Not sure why I ended up with the wrong firmware but glad I had everything sorted out now.

Thank you for your help!

Not sure why I ended up with the wrong firmware

You just never updated the firmware on this router.

3.0.0.4.384_9173 is perhaps the initial firmware around May 2020.

Below is a screenshot from one of the first reviews of this router on a Chinese website:

1687919485366.png

Source:

I just made a post about the red light on my AX86U coming on. Same modem and ISP. Worked for two years and now the red light. A new AX86U is doing the same thing. Will try a firmware update.

You may also want to try a new modem.

Yes, but that 'compatibility' works both ways. Nothing stays the same. Take nothing for granted. Test everything.