What's new

Need suggestions for dual wan

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Radorix

New Around Here
Minor repost from the merlin specific thread but since it can reliably provide it I need a real solution. Here's the back story

I work for a small-ish AV company anyway over the last few years av has truly merged. Anyway what I'm trying to accomplish for a customer who had bought a Asus ac68u already is a dual wan with automatic fail over and recovery. Main is 30mb Comcast fail is Verizon dsl so slow that if you ask me isn't even worth keeping .8mb DL anyway. I was there today finishing the rest of the theater install and was surprised when I found that the fail over is anything but hands off as I had seen the features in my own ac66u.

What it was doing was it would only fail over from the Comcast with a power interruption if I just unscrewed the coax it would stay on the primary wan. Then my other issue became if it was on the DSL and I brought back up the cable it wouldn't switch back to the primary wan.

Customer has never had the functionality of dual wan before has always just connected to the DSL as a standalone network and used it to feed certain equipment in his distributed audio equipment. Thanks for any help I decided to use your forum merlin BC I loaded one of your builds on his as I've loved your builds on my Asus and was hoping for it to be fixed on your build. As a second customer wants us to basically do the same thing but with a mifi and dsl

OK so that's my situation any suggestions for bullet proof devices to accomplish this as the Asus software just isn't there yet

Last edited:
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/lanwan-reviews/32223-peplink-balance-20-reviewed

Peplink Balance 20.

It is a bit pricey, but it will work reliably for years. It is also dead simple to set up. Plus, if you can't get it to work, the support team is great and will be more than happy to walk you through each and every step of the way.

Edit:
Now that I mulled this over a bit, I realized that a price range was not requested.
If you need something in the $50-$150 range that is still pretty good (but not as easy as peplink), here are some devices that should be able to handle a 50/25 and 15/1.5 load balanced set of connections. Mind you. I do NOT suggest in any way shape or form trying to install them for the first time at the client site. Very bad idea (that I may or may not have personally screwed up on).

TP-Link; ER6020, TL-R480T+, TL-R470T+
Mikrotik; RB750, RB2011
Cisco SMB; RV042
Ubiquiti; Edge Router Lite
Zyxel; USG20

Last edited:
I may only suggest taking a look at Ubiquity :

On their latest firmware, those devices might give you the best bang 4 bucks.

Statup Wizard to :
Bind your WAN an LAN interfaces.
Configure a starting firewall configuration.

Block Everything IN on the WAN interface.
Accept Established and related connections IN on the WAN interface
Block everything to the router on the WAN interface

Start your DHCP Service (192.168.1.20-192.168.1.240 on LAN)
Start your DNS Cache service on your LAN interface.

A wizart to add port forwardings :

By default port fowarding will also take care of opening ports in the firewall.
There is an option to activate NAT Reflection (Loopback) on your Port fowarding rules.

Also, they added dual WAN with automatic fail-over in the CLI, nice feature for buisnesses out there.

So all in all, it became a fairly simple device to get working on basics.
You get crazy performance and stability
You still have room to do very advanced configuration.

Lite : 1 million packets per second, 3 Interfaces. 99$

PoE : 1 million packets per second, 3 Interfaces : 3 ports switched with PoE on the 3rd interface. 175$

Edgerouter : 2 Millions packets per seconds, 8 interfaces 329$

Edgerouter Pro : 2 millions packets per second, 8 interfaces (of witch, 2 of them are combo RJ-45/SFP ports) 369$