What's new

Netgear Jaguar (Nighthawk X12) AX6000 Wireless Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Internet Man

Since there's no NETGEAR AX Wireless forum yet I figured this is the best place to post.

The Netgear Jaguar Nighthawk X12 Smart WiFi Router appeared on the FCC yesterday. WikiDevi has most of the details from the FCC filings.

It seems to be a dual-band 4x4:4 wireless router with 802.11ax support. It probably has 2x USB 3.0 ports, 5x GbE LAN and 1x GbE WAN.

Good catch. NETGEAR has held its AX plan very close to the chest, as they do with all upcoming products. Will be interesting to see if it's Qualcomm based.

I saw that too, good post. Unfortunately its hard to tell if its the final revision or an alpha sample, Ill find out soon enough. I certainly hope its a Qualcomm based unit.
Sample submitted for FCC certification has to match what it shipped. Any changes that change RF characteristics require a Permissive Change submission.

In other words, unless NETGEAR decides to hold back shipments, this is the unit that will be shipping soon.

They're being real coy with this. Even held back external photos.

I assume an X16 will also come into being to compete in the triband category. Yeah I can imagine these would cost $400 plus easily. Good time to get a decent ac router at a lower price when the first ax units come out especially since no ax client cards or devices will be available for a while. Intel/Apple usually don’t release products on draft spec. I doubt Qualcomm or Broadcom will have any client devices till mid to late next year either.

Last edited:
that's a little departure from the usual 4xLAN and 1xWAN, curious.
The FCC Label Sample document shows 5 LAN ports. Section 3.4.1 of the Test Report documents titled "Configuration of System under Test" shows the following diagram which again shows 5x LAN but also shows 1x WAN. GbE speeds are not claimed in the documents from what I can find so the WAN port could actually be 2.5GbE although few laptops support 2.5 GbE.
Netgear_X12_TestConfig.png

eSATA has pretty much been replaced by USB 3.0. Folks can argue that eSATA has higher performance. But the momentum is clearly behind the USB platform. I'd expect USB 3.0 to move to USB C vs. adding back eSATA on routers.

I was just wondering that since the WiFi has enough trouble already when it comes to interference, especially on the 2.4GHz band, even though eSATA is an older standard it seems like it would have less of an impact on the 2.4GHz band by not increasing the noise floor as much.

Beyond that, I have notices a some routers by default, drop to USB 2.0 rates when 2.4GHz is in use, thus it seems that some router makers are concerned about the interference.

Since routers tend to have extremely underpowered SOCs, it just seems fitting to have something faster than USB 2.0 but not use something that will have s much interference as with USB 3.0 (interference that will continue even if they move to USB-C).

I was just wondering that since the WiFi has enough trouble already when it comes to interference, especially on the 2.4GHz band, even though eSATA is an older standard it seems like it would have less of an impact on the 2.4GHz band by not increasing the noise floor as much.

Beyond that, I have notices a some routers by default, drop to USB 2.0 rates when 2.4GHz is in use, thus it seems that some router makers are concerned about the interference.

Since routers tend to have extremely underpowered SOCs, it just seems fitting to have something faster than USB 2.0 but not use something that will have s much interference as with USB 3.0 (interference that will continue even if they move to USB-C).
I was under the impression that proper shielding of the USB 3.0 ports and circuitry solved the interference problem.

The document I linked to, delved int the use of shielding, and nothing was completely effective in removing that interference, though shielding was able to reduce the interference.

Yes that is correct, it will still be there but it shouldn’t be too bad. A lot of times it’s improperly shielded cables that cause severe interference.

AX WiFi uses both the 2.4GHz band and the 5GHz band simultaneously. Previous WiFi standards used the two bands independently of one another.

What does this mean exactly?

This confirms Jaguar uses Broadcom.

View source of the Netgear AX WiFi page...

Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream AX6000 WiFi Router

NIGHTHAWK AX8

Model: RAX80
  • Ultra-fast AX6000 WiFi - Combined speeds up to 6Gbps
  • Powerful Quad-core 1.8GHz processor
  • 2Gbps wired connectivity for faster internet
  • 160MHz delivers Gigabit-WiFi for mobile devices
  • DFS Certified for more available channels
  • Six Gigabit ports and two USB 3.0 ports

Note: The routers do not support all the mandatory features as ratified in Draft 3.0 of IEEE 802.11AX specification​

Last edited by a moderator: