What's new

Netgear Orbi discussion thread

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have any feedback on the Amplifi HD compared to Orbi in terms of performance? I have Orbi now and think coverage and performance is excellent but I'm coming from an Asus router and really miss the ability to check signal strength of each device and more importantly which device is eating up bandwidth. Not even sure the Amplifi will provide these stats but I thought it might. I'm also considering keeping Orbi and purchasing the Ubiquiti USG and using it for routing while Orbi acts as an AP. Anyone have experience with the USG? thanks!

coming from an Asus router

if you still have the asus just turn off its wifi and run the orbi behind it in AP mode

you wont get signal strength but to be honest you prob dont need it with the orbi , but you will get all the router functionality of the asus including bandwidth usage etc

i dont believe the unifi hd has anything special router wise but im not 100% over it

pete

Does anyone have any feedback on the Amplifi HD compared to Orbi in terms of performance?

Take it from someone that has had both and stick with the Orbi. The Amplifi HD has more features and better client visibility but the Orbi destroys the Amplifi in performance. I had issues with my first orbi setup and had to return it. I have since bought another set and it's been running great for just under 4 weeks now. I am running them in AP Mode behind an ubiquity lite router and get my traffic stats from the router. I miss the signal/radio visibility from other WiFi solutions but the performance on the Orbi is just too good to care.

Does anyone know if there is a way, after updating to version 1.3.0.26, to enable the advanced wireless display showing what's connected to the router and the satellite separately? The option is no longer found in the hidden screen.

Does anyone know if there is a way, after updating to version 1.3.0.26, to enable the advanced wireless display showing what's connected to the router and the satellite separately? The option is no longer found in the hidden screen.

Thanks for the head's up. Given the release notes contents and what you're saying, not sure that I need this version *smile*.

For me, that info now just seems to displays by default as part of the normal admin page ("attached devices").

Not sure of that's how it's actually supposed to work or not with .26, but I'm just glad that info is still there.

Cheers, Chris

you can access the sats web pages by their ip address and it shows there whats connected to each

Is it 1733Mbps full speed between the satellites also?

15032137_1254495874613136_798703352845969904_n.jpg

Last edited:
Satellites connect only to the router, not to each other.

Same radios in each, so max link rate is 1733 Mbps. But MU-MIMO is enabled for backhaul and can reduce link rate.

just did a quick throughput test from one sat to the other through the router with may nas on one sat and my test comp on the other both connect by ethernet

sat 1 to router to sat 2 around 40MB/s

then i connected the nas to the router

sat 1 or 2 to router around 60Mb/s

so there is some loss over the hop at the router which is understandable as they are both using the same 5 gig airtime as it would be if you transfer between 2 wifi connect devices connected to a router

selecting enable and disable mu-mimo from the advanced wireless menu did not seem to effect the results at all

Last edited:
Satellites connect only to the router, not to each other.

Same radios in each, so max link rate is 1733 Mbps. But MU-MIMO is enabled for backhaul and can reduce link rate.

So what they say is not true, that you can expand coverage with multiple satellite successively. The Router needs to be in the middle, so if you need to cover a larger area at the height of several floors, you need a router more in AP mode?
Or if you want for example to cover a 3 storey plan, you need to have a router on the 2nd floor.
Is it so that if you add several satellite so they can share 1733Mbps or 1733Mbps is always between the router and its satellites?
They also say that you can add a Guest network from the app only, not from FW?

Last edited:
Is it so that if you add several satellite do they can share *1733Mbps/4 (1 SAT 1733, 2 SAT 866, 3 SAT 577, 4 SAT 433) or *THE BACKHAUL 1733Mbps is always between the Router and its Satellites? (*max sync rate IN the backhaul,)?

15085719_1255030794559644_3832572014680185507_n.jpg
pege63 said:
So what they say is not true, that you can expand coverage with multiple satellite successively.
As at this stage there is no guest wifi at all.
Where do they say this.
16.30 into the film - you just add a sat every 4000 square feet
28.16 into the movie about guest network

Last edited:
Orbi uses four of the five available 5 GHz high-band channels for backhaul. So available bandwidth is shared among all Orbis.

All traffic flows through the router node anyway, which is the pinch point for multi-satellite configurations.

Orbi uses four of the five available 5 GHz high-band channels for backhaul. So available bandwidth is shared among all Orbis.
All traffic flows through the router node anyway, which is the pinch point for multi-satellite configurations.

So it's like in my example says backhaul is 1733Mbps is it split by/over 4 satellite which in this case gets 433Mbps in the backhaul per each satellite (1, 2, 3, 4), do I understand it right or wrong?
(1 SAT 1733, 2 SAT 866, 3 SAT 577, 4 SAT 4339)?
Or is the BACKHAUL always 1733 between the Router and its all Satellites?
The more satellite switching on to the router, the lower the speed between the satellite and the router in the backhaul?

Last edited:
So it's like in my example says backhaul is 1733Mbps is it split by/over 4 satellite which in this case gets 433Mbps in the backhaul per each satellite (1, 2, 3, 4), do I understand it right or wrong?
I can't definitively say how the backhaul will be shared. Only that it will be shared among satellites, like any other Wi-Fi radio.

I send a email to netgear to ask this question but the never reply.
Thank you for put up with me ;)

from my tests above at least with 2 sats its not exactly dividing the signal in half , but there is certainly some loss when downloading from sat to sat

if i get some time later in the week i will do some downloads to each sat from the router at the same time and post the results here , will be interesting to see if mu-mimo works and if its just like all the other broadcom solutions

Can you do the test like this on the SATs?
14993286_1256100271119363_3067062263364902345_n.jpg

NetgearGuy write me that It's correct that with 2 or more satellites connected, they will share the 5G backhaul bandwidth.
The backhaul is dynamically allocated and depends on which satellites are sending traffic.

So if you have ppl with all SATs in use they share the 1733 bandwidth, it that wath he means?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!