What's new

Netgear Orbi discussion thread

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine should arrive on Saturday, I'll post my impressions then. Also ordered a edgerouter lite, but it won't be here til Wednesday. Plan on using the Orbi router as just an access point, when it arrives.

Last edited:
Just joined the forum to discuss about Netgear Orbi.

I just order from Amazon, and it should be by Monday and will update with impressions.

just fyi

Firmware update V1.3.0.12

has just been released and is available by auto update only at this stage

should be available on the orbi web site next week

pete

What channel does the 5GHz backhaul use?

Do you have control over the 2.4GHz and 5 GHz channels and SSIDs, on the main unit and satellite? Basically, can you turn off an auto-connect type configuration?

You can set the 2.4 and 5 GHz channels on the client radios. You can't set bandwidth mode, shut off radios or set separate SSIDs per band

Took a good bit to get the router to work right with my modem. Also took a few tries to get the router paired up with the satellite. They also stuck trying to autoupdate to the newest firmware (finally did it manually). After about an hour, I got everything working with the router and satellite updated. Long story short, I used to get no wifi upstairs in my bedroom, and now it is at full strength, and speedtest shows 175Mbps, so I am happy with that.

hi dan

the first issue may have been that the orbi router had to re adjust its ip range bacause it saw that the router you are using was on the same subnet and orbi chabged its self to avoid ip conflicts

the second shouldnt have been a problem as the sat comes paired already and there should have been no reason to re pair them , i think the directions can be a bit confusing on that point

great thats its working as advertised

at this stage is your modem in bridge mode or still routing ? as you might want to ether bridge the modem if possible and run the orbi as the router or run the orbi in AP mode to avoid dual nat issues

pete

hi dan

the first issue may have been that the orbi router had to re adjust its ip range bacause it saw that the router you are using was on the same subnet and orbi chabged its self to avoid ip conflicts

the second shouldnt have been a problem as the sat comes paired already and there should have been no reason to re pair them , i think the directions can be a bit confusing on that point

great thats its working as advertised

at this stage is your modem in bridge mode or still routing ? as you might want to ether bridge the modem if possible and run the orbi as the router or run the orbi in AP mode to avoid dual nat issues

pete

Until Wednesday, the Orbi is on its own doing all the routing duties actually. My edgerouter and switch won't get here until Wednesday. I plan on running it in AP mode then. Thanks for the help. It seems like a great product so far.

I do wish there was a way to force a client on the satellite or it had a method of handing it off when the connection is far superior. Seems really random on whether I am going to connect to my satellite when I am upstairs (at 175Mbps) or remain connected to the downstairs router (at 30Mbps).

I do wish there was a way to force a client on the satellite or it had a method of handing it off when the connection is far superior. Seems really random on whether I am going to connect to my satellite when I am upstairs (at 175Mbps) or remain connected to the downstairs router (at 30Mbps).

This is up to the client.

The double edged sword of a single ssid. :(

I do wish there was a way to force a client on the satellite or it had a method of handing it off when the connection is far superior. Seems really random on whether I am going to connect to my satellite when I am upstairs (at 175Mbps) or remain connected to the router (at 30Mbps).
The roaming decision is up to the client. Check its network settings to see if there are any that apply to roaming.

You can also try moving the satellite so that router and satellite coverage areas don't overlap as much. There is a backhaul throughput tradeoff involved, but a little experimentation may result in more reliable roaming.

Yeah I kind of figured, still 30Mbps is way better than I had before, and still plenty fast for streaming. I will try moving things around and see how that effects things though. That is a good idea.

Tim, does it really have 4GB of flash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!