What's new

Netgear Orbi RBRE960

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

forrie

New Around Here
[I'm a newbie here]

I am guessing that the chipset for the RBRE960 is too new for third-party firmware. I'm here because I've experienced inconsistencies with Netgear's firmware with this and prior models. Having used third-party firmware in the past, for older routers, I thought I would come here, post and see if others are using the RBRE960 and understand whether it may be possible to (eventually) port (at least) the Voxel firmware (or others) to it. Netgear ties their systems down, disabling any SSH etc. I feel like these routers are capable of much more.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forums @forrie.

I wouldn't buy any NG model expecting it to get third-party support (Voxel or otherwise).

[I'm a newbie here]

I am guessing that the chipset for the RBRE960 is too new for third-party firmware. I'm here because I've experienced inconsistencies with Netgear's firmware with this and prior models. Having used third-party firmware in the past, for older routers, I thought I would come here, post and see if others are using the RBRE960 and understand whether it may be possible to (eventually) port (at least) the Voxel firmware (or others) to it. Netgear ties their systems down, disabling any SSH etc. I feel like these routers are capable of much more.

Thanks!

I have the 960, and would love other firmware. NG’s firmware for any of their products is not that great.

I have the 960, and would love other firmware. NG’s firmware for any of their products is not that great.

Netgear would have to open-source some of their code, which seems unlikely to happen -- their growth model appears to be creating more and more models of Orbi (and other things) but less investment in the firmware that drives them. IMHO

Old thread I know. I am sure if you IM'ed Voxel and purchased and shipped a 960 series to him, I am sure he would develop accordingly ;)