What's new

Netgear R6400 clients do not show up in Windows Network Display

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rdk45

New Around Here
I recently upgraded to the Netgear R6400 AC1750 Wi-Fi router from a TP-Link N600. The TP-Link was starting to act flaky (losing clients, etc) and needed to be rebooted several times a week. I'm running a Windows network with several wired and wireless PC clients, along with the usual compliment of cell phones, Kindles, iPads, webcams, etc. I'm also running 3 production and 2 development Raspberry Pi units, about 50:50 on wireless.

On the Pi's I'm running SAMBA for network file access and sharing with my network. Historically with Windows 7 and then Windows 10, all of my Pi's (wired or wireless) would show up in the "My Computer" / "Network" display along with other devices and PC's. That made it very easy to get to data being generated by the Pi and/or to upload new program changes. This was the case with the TP-Link and my older Linksys E13500, BUT IS NOT the case with the new Netgear R6400!!

The Pi's show up in the Netgear list of clients, as do my webcams, etc. From a Windows PC I can map a drive to a Pi so I know that SAMBA is working. Thus, I do have access to the files I need, however it was very nice to have the Pi's show up in the "Network" display, thus knowing they were "alive and happy" and then to be able to double-click on an icon and see the files.

This loss of Network display entries also happens on other PC's.

I posted this on the Raspberry Pi forum and it was suggested to post the issue here. Any ideas why this change has happened and what I can do to correct the situation?

Thanks...RDK

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!