What's new

Tailscale subnet router is connected but not showing up in RT-AX86U webadmin?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jksmurf

Hi I just installed Tailscale on a Raspberry Pi 4B for a test run prior to doing the same on a Pi 3. I configured it as a subnet router.
I had a few issues with IP Forwarding warning messages but I got past them OK once I worked out that I have an /etc/sysctl.d file (after I worked out how to get there with WinSCP).

The query I have is that whilst the Pi 4B is connected to my Wifi Network just fine, I cannot 'see' that device listed in my Router’s (RT-AX86U) list of connected devices.
I can see it in the Router’s “System Log - Wireless Log” so it is definitely there.

Is this a Tailscale thing for subnet routers; just a networking issue in general; or an ASUS Network Display issue; or do I need to enable something to see it; or is it simply that way by design?

My Routers IP is 192.16.9.1 and I set up Tailscale with
$ sudo tailscale up --advertise-routes=192.168.9.0/24

ta!

k.

Hi I just installed Tailscale on a Raspberry Pi 4B for a test run prior to doing the same on a Pi 3. I configured it as a subnet router.
I had a few issues with IP Forwarding warning messages but I got past them OK once I worked out that I have an /etc/sysctl.d file (after I worked out how to get there with WinSCP).

The query I have is that whilst the Pi 4B is connected to my Wifi Network just fine, I cannot 'see' that device listed in my Router’s (RT-AX86U) list of connected devices.
I can see it in the Router’s “System Log - Wireless Log” so it is definitely there.

Is this a Tailscale thing for subnet routers; just a networking issue in general; or an ASUS Network Display issue; or do I need to enable something to see it; or is it simply that way by design?

My Routers IP is 192.16.9.1 and I set up Tailscale with
$ sudo tailscale up --advertise-routes=192.168.9.0/24

ta!

k.

If it isn't getting DHCP from the router or accessing the internet, the router won't really know about it. Ping the router from it or ping it from the router, you should see it pop up in client list then.

If it isn't getting DHCP from the router or accessing the internet, the router won't really know about it. Ping the router from it or ping it from the router, you should see it pop up in client list then.

Nope - just doesn't want to know. Oddly it seems connected to both Wifi and Ethernet.
Any other suggestions please?

Attachments

• Nope.jpg
    Nope.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 39
  • Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 39
Unplug the Ethernet cable, or Disable the WiFi.

Unplug the Ethernet cable, or Disable the WiFi.
I just disabled the Wifi but I still cannot see it in the list of connected devices in the Network Map (despite it beinf in the System Log under DHCP leases, as expected). The Wifi Log shows it has gone from Wifi.

So I just rebooted the Router from the Webadmin and it went from 7 to 14 devices; including the errant Pi.
Wonder why it gets stuck. Anyway, all good.

k.

The client list in the ASUS GUI has always been flakey.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!