What's new

Can’t See Raspberry Pi in Clients List

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

phneeley

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,

I’m setting up a few Pi-holes on my network and I can’t see them on my clients list on my AX86U running the latest firmware. I had hoped to plug in the unit, identify it on the router, assign a static IP there, and then continue with a headless setup. Since I couldn’t find the Pi, I ended up assigning a static IP and punched in WiFi settings in the Pi’s config file. I then successfully SSH’ed into the Pi and installed all the software I want (Pi-hole, Unbound, Tailscale), but I’m still not seeing any indication of the device in my clients list.

Any ideas?

Rebooting the router appears to have fixed this for now. Odd, though — I’ve never had to reboot the router to get a client to register in the GUI before.

Static IP addresses are assigned at the device. Not the router. The router manually assigns addresses.
All you need is one Pi-Hole for a network. More than one is a waste of resources. And that one needs a static IP address! Just make sure to adjust the DHCP range to allow for the static address.

I tried working with just one SBC on the network... But there are things I need it to do and things I want to play with. I've also toyed with the idea of having a cluster, but I'll just have to put up with two (for now).

Static IP addresses are assigned at the device. Not the router. The router manually assigns addresses.
All you need is one Pi-Hole for a network. More than one is a waste of resources. And that one needs a static IP address! Just make sure to adjust the DHCP range to allow for the static address.
For me it is redundancy. I want 2 DNS servers, so if one goes down the Internet doesn't become inaccessible.

For me it is redundancy. I want 2 DNS servers, so if one goes down the Internet doesn't become inaccessible.
Same. Redundancy. Have had one of the Pi's go down more than once for various reasons including microSD card dying.

Possible solution for unreliable RPis with SD cards:

1703450878107.png

1703450714096.png

Power adapter included. Under 10W on idle, the fan doesn't activate.

CAD60 is about USD45. It can run more things than RPi and cheaper.

Every SD card I've lost has been due to user stupidity (me)! I can't think of a time that an RPi ever crashed without help from me!

Pis aren't unreliable. Cheap over sold SD cards, yes.

A cheap SD card will make a Pi slow and prone to crashing. A Pi with an SSD will be pretty quick and reliable.

That said, I agree it still can't compete with the cheaper refurbed old PCs like that G2.

If you want something small, reliable and low power for an IoT physical footprint the Pi is decent. If what you're doing isn't exactly IoT then second hand refurbs are a great resource.

Edit: And when you refer to "more things" it's worth remembering less things run on Arm CPUs. Not an issue for Pi-hole but ultimately a Pi5, Pi4 or even Pi3 is overkill if all itsdoingjs running Pi-hole so thinking about CPU architecture and what you can/can't run is worthwhile

RPi kits are very expensive lately. One can get 2x mini PCs for the price of one RPi kit.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!