What's new

NETGEAR R7500 Nighthawk X4 AC2350 Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mediatrek

Regular Contributor
I have been trying to see if I could find online more information about the upcoming Netgear R7500. Luckily there was a Netgear digital home workshop event overseas and some folks attending posted information and photos here and here. The information on the R7500 is as follows based on the two postings (which have product photos btw):

• Quad-stream
  • Supports MAC Time Machine
  • Beamforming+
  • MU-MIMO ready
  • Virtually the same casing design as the R7000, except with two antennas on the back, one antenna on the left and one antenna on the right side.
  • AC2350 (600 + 1750)
  • 1.4Ghz dual-core processor (maybe a Qualcomm-Atheros IPQ8064 ??)
  • 2 ports USB 3.0 and 1 eSATA (not on the back, but ports on the sides)
  • LED on/off switch on the back
  • Application & Device Aware Smart QoS (Qualcomm Streamboost???)
  • VPN Support
  • iTunes & DNLA Server support
  • MSRP $249

I wonder if we're going to have a 4x4 MU-MIMO PCI-E adapter for that. The only way to get the benefits of that WiFi is to have another one of them in bridge mode.

I wonder if we're going to have a 4x4 MU-MIMO PCI-E adapter for that. The only way to get the benefits of that WiFi is to have another one of them in bridge mode.

Having an adapter that supports MU-MIMO alone one should see an improvement. Yes to get the full performance possible one would want a 4T4R MU-MIMO adapter.

All I recall seeing beyond press releases and actually submitted to the FCC has been a 2x2 MU-MIMO for use in smartphones and tablets in the Qualcomm-Atheros QCNFA34AC (ID: PPD-QCNFA34AC). Nothing 4x4 MU-MIMO yet for a client adapter(s) have showed up to my knowledge..

Having an adapter that supports MU-MIMO alone one should see an improvement. Yes to get the full performance possible one would want a 4T4R MU-MIMO adapter..
A 4x4 MU-MIMO STA would be silly. The whole point of MU-MIMO is to get better bandwidth utilization with lower class clients.

A 4x4 client matched with a 4x4 AP would use normal beamforming.

1.4Ghz dual-core processor (maybe a Qualcomm-Atheros IPQ8064 ??)

My initial thinking too. They have been released and been developed on since later 2013. Routers were supposed to be released on such chip in the 1st half of 2014, and these are the only dual core 1.4GHz that I know of. This is the one SoC that I have been interested in since its news release. Curious as to what the results will be from Tim's testing.

Last edited:
A 4x4 MU-MIMO STA would be silly. The whole point of MU-MIMO is to get better bandwidth utilization with lower class clients.

A 4x4 client matched with a 4x4 AP would use normal beamforming.

I'm pretty sure when 4x4 adapter comes, MU-MIMO is included in its features but I'm not sure how it would react to other fewer stream clients (all have MU-MIMO as well) when that feature is off or on in the 4x4 adapter settings. Any thoughts? I would guess that those 2 fewer stream clients will behave like SU-MIMO due to 4x4 adapter using up all the streams regardless of the 4x4's settings for MU-MIMO.

My understanding (and what makes most sense to implement) is that the router controls MIMO, not the clients.

When the 4x4 client needs bandwidth, it gets it with all antenna. When it's time slice is over, then it will do MU-MIMO as usual.

My understanding (and what makes most sense to implement) is that the router controls MIMO, not the clients.

When the 4x4 client needs bandwidth, it gets it with all antenna. When it's time slice is over, then it will do MU-MIMO as usual.

That makes sense. Silly me, MU-MIMO is implemented on Tx stream (not both Tx and Rx) of the AP so AP is the one who would manage it. Router's firmware should be smart enough to figure out if it's going to utilize it or not if there's a client that needs all of its streams for highest throughput.

Last edited:
Will this finally motivate companies to make faster wifi adapters. It see (really want to upgrade the laptop wifi adapter, but no one makes any 3 stream 802.11ac adapters for laptops (which could be argued as the platform that needs it the most.

2 stream 802.11ac adapters should have been skipped and made so that smartphones will get 1 stream 802.11ac adapters, and laptops and high performance tablets would get 3 stream 802.11ac.

Razor512, you made me lol at 'high performance tablets. :)

On point:

I too would love to see faster client adaptors, but we'll have to wait for the old inventory to clear out (not to mention the standing order contracts to expire) before we see any exciting new tech on the client side.

This is the router I am waiting for. I check the Netgear site a 100 times a day to see if they have updates on it but they are all about the X6 right now.

I have been trying to see if I could find online more information about the upcoming Netgear R7500. Luckily there was a Netgear digital home workshop event overseas and some folks attending posted information and photos here and here. The information on the R7500 is as follows based on the two postings (which have product photos btw):

• Quad-stream
  • Supports MAC Time Machine
  • Beamforming+
  • MU-MIMO ready
  • Virtually the same casing design as the R7000, except with two antennas on the back, one antenna on the left and one antenna on the right side.
  • AC2350 (600 + 1750)
  • 1.4Ghz dual-core processor (maybe a Qualcomm-Atheros IPQ8064 ??)
  • 2 ports USB 3.0 and 1 eSATA (not on the back, but ports on the sides)
  • LED on/off switch on the back
  • Application & Device Aware Smart QoS (Qualcomm Streamboost???)
  • VPN Support
  • iTunes & DNLA Server support
  • MSRP $249
Thanks for sharing that with us...
of course, the only thing that I found interesting , for me, was the girl in the white dress.....
but that's just me.....:p

This is the router I am waiting for. I check the Netgear site a 100 times a day to see if they have updates on it but they are all about the X6 right now.

According to you (in multiple threads) - Asus routers are the best and that you're planning on buying both the AC2400 and the AC3200 in the near future.

Now you're saying that you've been waiting for this Netgear router? You're all over the map man. Lol.

According to you (in multiple threads) - Asus routers are the best and that you're planning on buying both the AC2400 and the AC3200 in the near future.

Now you're saying that you've been waiting for this Netgear router? You're all over the map man. Lol.

LOL! I'm a test kind of person. I test and return. But I do keep my Asus routers. I bought the Netgear R6050 a few days ago and returned it with in 12 hours. What a hunk of junk it was. I'm just waiting on reviews of all the AC2400 and AC3200 routers.

LOL! I'm a test kind of person. I test and return. But I do keep my Asus routers. I bought the Netgear R6050 a few days ago and returned it with in 12 hours. What a hunk of junk it was. I'm just waiting on reviews of all the AC2400 and AC3200 routers.

Not to pile on, but if you're a "test" guy, why are you waiting for reviews? Why wouldn't you buy, test, and then see if your results match the reviews?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!