What's new

Netgear WPN824v3

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ApacheCat

New Around Here
Hello, all;

I have two WPN824v3 routers that I configured to be in repeater mode. Of course. one is the base and the other is the repeater. I did this in order to improve the range of my Wi-Fi network thru my house. My base router is in the basement and the repeater is on the second floor.

My signal has improved: I am able to get 'Very Good' to 'Excellent' signal strength. However, the link speed is abysmal: I am only getting 1 Mbit, as shown in the repeater's status page. I have the Veriozon FiOS 20/20 package.

Are there any config changes I could make to improve the speed? I set both routers to Auto-108 Mbps (WPN824v3 automatically uses channel 6 at that speed). And I have them set to use g instead of b, though I have read else where that b may be a better setting when using this router in repeater mode.

Any useful feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx,
-Kevin

Repeating automatically cuts throughput at least in half for each "hop" (radio) that is used between the base access point (AP) / wireless router and client. This is because the repeating AP has to receive, then rebroadcast the data using the same radio.

Using repeaters is tricky and good setup can be counter-intuitive. Try the tips in this article, particularly the ones about setting different SSIDs and not placing the repeater too far away from the base.