What's new

New AC88U wifi dropping

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Grassrootz

Occasional Visitor
Brand new AC88U here... Has anyone else noticed that on the AC88U anytime you fiddle with the wireless settings all WiFi goes out? I've been on the latest Asus firmware (Version 3.0.0.4.384.10007 2018/01/02) and on the latest Merlin (382.2 beta). I've experienced this problem with enabling the guest WiFi, changing the beacon interval, power strength, I mean literally any setting and the router loses WiFi the router thinks its still broadcasting them but none of the devices can connect. The only way to get it back is power cycling the router.

Another thing I noticed is when I tell the router to reboot using the gui it does its countdown but I have a constant ping going and I never see the router drop off during the "reboot".

Last edited:
My device is acting the same. I think it's just a feature. When you know it, you just wait the wifi icon in action bar to become active again. It eventually will.

Brand new AC88U here... Has anyone else noticed that on the AC88U anytime you fiddle with the wireless settings all WiFi goes out? I've been on the latest Asus firmware (Version 3.0.0.4.384.10007 2018/01/02) and on the latest Merlin (382.2 beta). I've experienced this problem with enabling the guest WiFi, changing the beacon interval, power strength, I mean literally any setting and the router loses WiFi the router thinks its still broadcasting them but none of the devices can connect. The only way to get it back is power cycling the router.

Another thing I noticed is when I tell the router to reboot using the gui it does its countdown but I have a constant ping going and I never see the router drop off during the "reboot".

Disable MU-MIMO, and airtime fairness.

I have a brand new AC-88U sitting here in the box I couldn't get to run stable, the wifi would keep disconnecting. I have gone back to my AC-3200 with the 9466 firmware., currently at 36 days 16 hours uptime with zero issues. Only thing I miss from the 88U is the 8 network ports.

Last edited:
Disable MU-MIMO, and airtime fairness.

Thanks for this tip I guess one of those settings worked for at least one of my problems. I'll continue to monitor this router over the next couple weeks in case I need to return it to amazon.

I had to rollback to 380.69 because with 382 and 384 branch my 5Ghz drops and after 20-30 min the webGUI becomes inaccessible

And I have airtime fairness/mu-mimo and beamforming off, so nothing related to that.
Try 380.69, factory reset and configure it, it'll surely work.
I have reported it to ASUS through the feedback system they have implemented in the firmware to see if they can fix it

Sent from my SM-G935FD using Tapatalk

It's more than just the WiFi.

A lot of settings changes, including changes to WiFi settings, it bounces the router and takes down the entire network. I'll try changing a WiFi setting and get complaints that the TV stopped streaming to the XBOX upstairs on a wired connection.

Edit: You mean it stays out for more than a minute or two? That I haven't seen.

I had to rollback to 380.69 because with 382 and 384 branch my 5Ghz drops and after 20-30 min the webGUI becomes inaccessible

And I have airtime fairness/mu-mimo and beamforming off, so nothing related to that.
Try 380.69, factory reset and configure it, it'll surely work.
I have reported it to ASUS through the feedback system they have implemented in the firmware to see if they can fix it

Thanks for your reply I went ahead and downgraded to merlin 380.69 as well since any changes I were making were causing wifi to still shut off.

It's more than just the WiFi.

A lot of settings changes, including changes to WiFi settings, it bounces the router and takes down the entire network. I'll try changing a WiFi setting and get complaints that the TV stopped streaming to the XBOX upstairs on a wired connection.

Edit: You mean it stays out for more than a minute or two? That I haven't seen.

Yes I meant on mine it never comes back without a power cycle.

Mine is A1 same issue

Have you tried a factory reset with an immediate reflash of the firmware?

Have you tried a factory reset with an immediate reflash of the firmware?

Right now I downgraded to Merlin 380.69 and so far so good for all my issues. I'm going to continue to monitor but its 100% better than it was out of the box and on the beta firmware. Lesson learned... I'm not going to be so trigger happy with new firmware releases from now on.

Is there any way to tell what changes the different hardware revisions made?

Last edited:
Right now I downgraded to Merlin 380.69 and so far so good for all my issues. I'm going to continue to monitor but its 100% better than it was out of the box and on the beta firmware.
I completely understand as I've had issues before with both the Asus and Merlin firmwares and my 88u that required stepping down to absolve.

I knew as soon as I said its working it wouldn't. So now my 5Ghz band is disappearing.

It was set to auto channel I went ahead and picked one at random and now its back but for how long?

If you have any google home/chromecast they have been causing network issues galore. Wifi dieing, being spotty, sucking. Google confirmed.