What's new

New Asus RT-87U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I upgrade every two years just to get one with a faster processor.
And you really see a performance difference from a faster processor with nothing else changed? And how are you sure it is the processor that is making the performance difference?

And you really see a performance difference from a faster processor with nothing else changed? And how are you sure it is the processor that is making the performance difference?

Dude! Its all about 30 weight ball bearings!

I do see the performance difference - doesn't matter what it's from, the processor or whatever, all I know is the old router would not give me that performance and the new one does.

Guys, I'm really happy with my AC68U. The router and wireless coverage works very well at an 100MBit WAN interface. Today I have no reason to drive me crazy for another, distance future Asus router. If the AC-87U is available, I'll have a look and evaluate.

Some ASUS RT-AC87U prototype pictures shown during CES 2014

Do note the design and outlook isn't final and it's subject to changes without any prior notices.

Last edited:
these routers are starting to look like the silhouette of a spider or an upside-down octopus lol

so, probably wont be wall mountable? :\ sounds like there's another product asus is keeping quiet about

[edit/] this is important to me because i live in an apartment that doesn't allow shelving to be put up. i'm already toeing the line with my tv, etc. maybe i can get away with something small...

Last edited:
Looks like an RT-AC68U with an extra antenna and the others moved to compensate. Not super exciting. Still not very impressed; they could have made both ports USB3 and bumped up the processor/memory specs a bit more. At least there's hope that the new wireless chipset will be better than Broadcom's.

Hard to say, but with more and more clients being added to my network each year,usb drives and so forth being added to usb ports and firmware features becoming richer and richer I have to believe the cpu eventually becomes the limiting factor.

For me, yes, since I am really into using the OpenVPN client here in Montreal and I have an N66U. I am with Videotron in Montreal and have a 30/10 Mb/sec connection (it consistently gets 30 Mb/sec down not using the VPN). Using the VPN client (not via the router) from ExpressVPN I get consistently 28 Mb/sec down connecting to New York Servers and testing via speedtest.net to local sites. However, using the OpenVPN client on the router and I essentially get 9 Mb/sec down speed. So I really want as much CPU power as possible.

Can't wait to ditch ac68u and qualcomm.

But damn I'm loving the new linksys!!!!

DSC_0758.jpg

Can't wait to ditch ac68u and qualcomm.

But damn I'm loving the new linksys!!!!
300$ for a device that's just an AC1900 class product sounds quite expensive however. At that price, I would expect the processing power to be enough for that USB3/eSata port be able to drive an external HD at over 70 MB/s, otherwise I see no reason for that price tag.

Maybe Belkin is fully going back to Linksys's root, not just with the old WRT look, but also with Linksys's pricing always being more expensive than anyone else :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess we'll see when it's out and people can test its performance to really judge it, but my impression is that the Linksys looks really cheaply made for how much it costs (I guess that's hard to avoid when you're taking design cues from an old relatively cheap router that was mainly popular for its firmware choices).

At this rate the price increase to spec bump ratio of routers is starting to remind me of Intel's CPUs (where the enthusiast model is arbitrarily hundreds of dollars more than the next one down).

im so exited about the linksys. i think it looks awesome and the esata performance should be great. might actually be the first SOHO router to be able to max out a gigabit link with nas file transfers. asus rt-87 is useless to me because its not wallmountable. but its also kind of pointless because there will probably be a massive lack of 4X4 clients for a long time. by the time there is clients asus will have probably came out with a better ac router.

Maybe Belkin is fully going back to Linksys's root, not just with the old WRT look, but also with Linksys's pricing always being more expensive than anyone else :D
High pricing was in the Cisco days. The original Linksys was the first to introduce low cost wired and wireless routers.

And yes, $300 is too high and I told them so. But the market's willingness to buy $200+ AC routers is encouraging companies to push up the price until people stop buying.

what is the difference between asus rt87 and linksys wrt1900ac in terms of specs ?

i just love the new WRT

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!