What's new

New GT-AX11000 firmware 3.0.0.4.384_9165

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Update 2:
After extended testing i cant get this to work. As soon as i activate one client to go through the tunnel it blocks all my clients. Wireless or wired same thing. All cutted off from the internet.
I downgraded one version to the 8011 firmware and BAM! Everything works again as it should be working. So the 9165 with the so called "Fixed the VPN fusion exception list" is something Asus should look at. That fix must have broken something.

Update 2:
After extended testing i cant get this to work. As soon as i activate one client to go through the tunnel it blocks all my clients. Wireless or wired same thing. All cutted off from the internet.
I downgraded one version to the 8011 firmware and BAM! Everything works again as it should be working. So the 9165 with the so called "Fixed the VPN fusion exception list" is something Asus should look at. That fix must have broken something.

And there's more to it as well.

If you don't have any VPN clients setup and add one (or two) then the client can't connect it spins forever trying.
And I'm not the only one who has seen this behaviour.

It's hard to understand how this was missed unless there was no testing done at all on the change.

Ian

Can you set the Wi-Fi channels manually with SmartConnect enabled?

And there's more to it as well.

If you don't have any VPN clients setup and add one (or two) then the client can't connect it spins forever trying.
And I'm not the only one who has seen this behaviour.

It's hard to understand how this was missed unless there was no testing done at all on the change.

Ian

Same thing is happening to me, added my VPN as OpenVPN and when trying to activate it spins forever, I thought vpnfusion was suppose to be fixed, how can we submit feedback?

Has anyone set up openvpn, can anyone comment on the speed they are getting.

Thinking of a GT-AX11000 as an upgrade from a NG R7800, which gets circa 80mbits/s

Depending on the ISP's paid-for-speeds involved, on both ends, up to around 250Mbps.

Thats a shame. I am getting my ISP's full 380mbits use a client on my pc.

I m sure a market exists for a router designed for vpns @ high speed.

Thats a shame. I am getting my ISP's full 380mbits use a client on my pc.

I m sure a market exists for a router designed for vpns @ high speed.

Not with OpenVPN. You need a desktop-class CPU for that.

These Asus routers are actually among the best performers when it comes to OpenVPN on a home router.

After doing a lot of reading here, I decided to take the plunge and upgraded to the 3.0.0.4.384_9165 firmware. I ended up running into a lot of issues, and thought I would share here.

I use dual WAN link aggregation on my AX-11000 router connected to my Netgear CM1100 Modem. This enables me to get slightly over 1.25GB download speeds with my Xfinity 1GB service. (uploads still cap around 38MBs, but that is different story). When I upgraded, I could not get the dual links to work. The Router kept starting the wan port, then flashing RED on the front for WAN and then shutting down. I had done a complete NVRAM reset (hold WPS, and power on), but still no luck. I did this several times to be sure, and rebuilt my configs from scratch. NO luck. I double checked the cable modem to make sure link aggregation was enabled. I ran through the logs on the ASUS and there were crashes and errors all over the place, but nothing that I could specifically pinpoint as the root cause. I was not at this point changing any settings sans the dual wan. I could not get it to work.

That was strike 1. I could live with the link aggregation being down for a while as most of the time I'm on wifi, and only rarely on the 10GB NIC to achieve <1Gb anyway.

Strike 2 is the mesh. I use a pair of ZEN XT-8's for my mesh routers, both connected on the wan port at 2.5Gb. ( I have a netgear MS510TXPP downwind of the 2.5GB port on the AX1100). Both were working fine at version 8011. On 9165, I could not get both to come on line simultaneously using the ethernet port. During the upgrade I had moved those to firmware _25224. I did the NVRAM reset on them as well, and could find them and pair them on the 5ghz wifi. When I switch the default link from auto to Ethernet on the first zen, it made the change. On the second one, it would just completely drop offline if I did the same thing on dropdown GUI. Once it dropped off the only way to recover it was to reset and re-pair the mesh. I thought I had one bad unit, so I reset both, swapped the order of pairing, and sure enough same thing - only the first would stay linked on Ethernet. Adding the second unit works on Wifi but crashes completely trying to switch to Ethernet I ran through the logs and there were a lot of system crashes, reboots, and general mess.

Strike 3 was VPN. I use open VPN for linking some routers at parents and in-laws to keep an eye on things, and help with troubleshooting, as well as a link for my laptop to route all traffic when traveling to avoid insecure hotels & airports etc. VPN simply did not work (as most people have said here). Nothing in any config, log or error made any sense.

After several hours of tweaking and playing and adjusting settings, I said the heck with it all and went back on the ax1100 to _8011 and magically everything worked (zen xt8's back on ethernet, dual wan and all my VPN connections.

So for now, unless someone else has a solution, _9165 is a mess and should be avoided if you use any of the above services.

Last edited:
After doing a lot of reading here, I decided to take the plunge and upgraded to the 3.0.0.4.384_9165 firmware. I ended up running into a lot of issues, and thought I would share here.

<cut>

After several hours of tweaking and playing and adjusting settings, I said the heck with it all and went back on the ax1100 to _8165 and magically everything worked (zen xt8's back on ethernet, dual wan and all my VPN connections.

So for now, unless someone else has a solution, _9165 is a mess and should be avoided if you use any of the above services.

I'm still on firmware _6436. Had a lot VPNFusion troubles with _7979 and also with _9165. You said here you went back to _8165??? I can't find that version. Do you mean _8011? I'm not sure if I tried that one so if that's the one you meant I'll give it a try.

I'm still on firmware _6436. Had a lot VPNFusion troubles with _7979 and also with _9165. You said here you went back to _8165??? I can't find that version. Do you mean _8011? I'm not sure if I tried that one so if that's the one you meant I'll give it a try.
Sorry I went back to 8011 (typo on my part)

Indeed. Version 8011 solved my VPN fusion also. 9165 is not working.

Unfortunately not for me. Every reboot disables access of all my devices to the internet. The router itself has internet connection. After every reboot I have inactivate VPNfusion and activate VPN fusion again to get everything working again. No problem when I'm at home, but when not at ( work, holiday, ....) I cannot afford havinfg these problems. I have to have access to my security cams, doorbell, door-opener , ...)

I'm having the same issues as you guys with vpn fusion and its been driving me crazy, especially with how long Asus take releasing updates, however there's a guy over on the rog forums who's posted a beta firmware that's supposed to fix vpn fusion issues. I've not been brave enough to try it yet as I need a stable connection at the moment.

I'm having the same issues as you guys with vpn fusion and its been driving me crazy, especially with how long Asus take releasing updates, however there's a guy over on the rog forums who's posted a beta firmware that's supposed to fix vpn fusion issues. I've not been brave enough to try it yet as I need a stable connection at the moment.

you have a link? :)

How’s that beta working out?

Well, just downloaded it. Ofcourse first made a backup of my configuration and made sure I had an older firmware locally available, just in case :)

I just did a dirty flash over the existing configuration (firmmware _6436). After finishing, I could not reach the UI of the router anymore. But I did notice that all my devices had internet access. So I went to the router and rebooted the router via the power button. After that I had access to the UI interface :D

Did a few rebootings and so far still VPN server and fusion still working and still all devices retain access to internet. Funny thing is I seem to have lost the data from AIprotection-> 2-way IPS. I can still see the graphic and counts but the events data is gone. Don't know if that's a glitch, but if you want to try flashing also and these data are important to you you better make an export beforehand.

But the first half hour, so far so good and the first upgrade since January without regrets (so far :D)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!