What's new

New router decision

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Wildman

Occasional Visitor
Like you, I go for longevity too. Try this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0752FD3XJ/?tag=snbforums-20 It's been getting rave reviews. Especially once Merlin's FW has been installed on it.

It's one of the top Asus models right now and will blow pretty much any of the others away with the performance. So your choice to go with the 86U is the right one.

Also see the review here: https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wir...900-wireless-router-reviewed?showall=&start=2

That model has been flying off the shelves at the likes of Amazon. So Asus must be doing something right. But don't pay more then the 200 US it retails for at Amazon. If it is offered for more then 200, look elsewhere for the model at the 200 point. Newegg is apparently out and the only remaining ones are selling at inflated 3rd party seller prices.

----------------------------------------------------

Hi!

I was also thinking about buying the RT-AC86U and I saw a lot of bad comments about the 2.4 Ghz dropping constantly and same with the 5 Ghz. For others the router died a few days after the warranty end. So can I trust this router? It is on special this week so I wonder if I should buy it.....

Thank's!

----------------------------------------------------

Hi!

I was also thinking about buying the RT-AC86U and I saw a lot of bad comments about the 2.4 Ghz dropping constantly and same with the 5 Ghz. For others the router died a few days after the warranty end. So can I trust this router? It is on special this week so I wonder if I should buy it.....

Thank's!

You won't regret it if you need something now. I've been using one since April 2018 and it's kicked butt. It can do up to a Gig, I know, I had 950/42 and it had no problem doing it. I'm running Merlin's FW 384.17 and it works very well. I've also been to a vacation home of a friend and she has 2 AC86Us in AIMesh and it's been flawless for almost a year and gets 350/25 out of 400/25, at huge distances for devices using the Ethernet ports on the back of the router. It takes multiple devices running at once, no problem.

Wireless for me, has been solid. I use the 5GhZ band and it's not been a problem. for the 3 Wireless devices on my network. (I try to wire in everything I can for best performance on my current 345/25 connection) I would chalk up any previous issues with the router to bad hardware or software or a combo of home environment and the other 2. It usually takes 1.5-2 years to really bulletproof a model. AC86U is at that point now.

Amazon has the AC86U for 185 now. As a good just in case, see if you can't buy it somewhere that has a good return/warranty policy. I haven't had to use that since buying mine from Amazon 2 years ago, but it's good to have.

I'm trying to get another 2-4 years out of it due to circumstances. I probably could do that.

Be sure to come back and tell me how you made out.