What's new

New router for GB line?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Misana

New Around Here
I need a new router for my new 1gb connection so what should i buy? I don't need bells and whistles dont use vpn dont need advanced security and only for personal use. But i want 100% reliability and uptime and no bottleneck But dont want to shell out 1000$ either. Please advice.

Netgear R7800.

It is nearly impossible to get 100% reliability, maybe 98%. You won't find it in consumer gear, look to pro gear with a big battery backup.

Last edited:
I found that I wasn’t able to get full speed until I replaced my ASUS RT-AC88U with a small pfSense box and switched my WR to AP mode. Have been running happily since!

Asus RT-AC86U has better wired performance than all of the above (except pfSense since that can be installed on any hardware). It is Asus most modern router, very stable and you will encounter no "bottlenecks" worth discussing for typical consumer usage.

100% reliability is not possible without highly unusual redundant setups, protections, and non-consumer gear.

Last edited:
What about edgerouter 4, a managed gb switch and a used router/ac as accesspoint instead of asus 86u?
Almost same cost, what will be most robust, reliable and futureproof ?

Last edited:
What about edgerouter 8, a managed gb switch and a used router/ac as accesspoint instead of asus 86u?
Almost same cost, what will be most robust, reliable and futureproof ?

Not sure how you can get that SOHO setup cheaper than a new Asus RT-AC86U. As far as I can tell, even the Ubiquiti ER-8 alone would be more expensive. Besides, the newer ER-4 and ER-6P are much better performing routers and much cheaper. Otherwise, such a setup should be both more reliable, better performing for pure routing and more flexible, especially with growth of Internet of Things (IoT) devices.

The RT-AC86U would trounce the VPN performance of any of these SOHO routers and be easier to configure for trivial functionality, but in all other key respects, like any consumer router, it would be worse.

The main advantage of this setup is that as WiFi standards evolve and your own needs change, you can add access points as needed without affecting your core network routing.

Sorry I meant edgerouter 4. (or 6p for a little more).

Seems to be a lot of factors to account.