What's new

New router - what to do with AX88U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

autopilot

Occasional Visitor
Hi. I run a dual WAN setup (using policy/router rules to make some devices always certain WAN). I have been using an AX88U and 2 XD4’s with AiMesh. Unfortunately the Dual WAN on the Asus less than great, very unreliable and firmware updates often break something. I was recommended a TPlink WR605 as it’s dual WAN is function is meant to be good, and this does seem to be true. It is slower (Bootup and DCHP take forever, but fine once up and running) and it’s more basic than the AX88U, but it does seem to do it’s core functions better and I prefer the simplicity in many ways.

So the AX88U is currently in AP mode (with two AI nodes). This setup is working well, but seems a little overkill in some ways, and most of the features of the AX88U are now unavailable.

What should I do? Continue as I am? Sell the Asus stuff and get something else? Or could I be making better use of what I have? Would there be any benefit in running the AX88U in router mode (so having two routers) or would that just complicate things?

Thanks.

Last edited:
First, do you have an RT-AX88U or an RT-AC88U? Your post references both models.

Secondly, have you checked out the Dual Wan script here on the forums?

Thirdly, with any Asus 8 Port router, do not use ports 5-8 if you want to have a stable network.

I would not go with TP-Link or any other manufacturer at all. There are options available to keep using the Asus router (you may need to install RMerlin firmware to see all the benefits though).

First, do you have an RT-AX88U or an RT-AC88U? Your post references both models.

Secondly, have you checked out the Dual Wan script here on the forums?

Thirdly, with any Asus 8 Port router, do not use ports 5-8 if you want to have a stable network.

I would not go with TP-Link or any other manufacturer at all. There are options available to keep using the Asus router (you may need to install RMerlin firmware to see all the benefits though).

Apologies for the typo, it’s the AX88U.

I wasn’t aware if the ports 5-8 thing. What’s the issue there?

The problem with ports 5-8 is that the router may become erratic. Sending you on wild goose chases to try solving random issues.

This is because of how the Asus router has two, 5x5 ports, bridged together to offer 1 WAN port and 8 LAN ports. And that bridge implementation seems to be the problem. Not all people seem affected, but when it strikes, simply using a 5 or 8 port switch can bring the network back to a good/known state again.

The problem with ports 5-8 is that the router may become erratic. Sending you on wild goose chases to try solving random issues.

This is because of how the Asus router has two, 5x5 ports, bridged together to offer 1 WAN port and 8 LAN ports. And that bridge implementation seems to be the problem. Not all people seem affected, but when it strikes, simply using a 5 or 8 port switch can bring the network back to a good/known state again.

Thanks again. I only dip in and out of the forums, so didn’t realise how much of an issue this was. This would probably explain the majority of my problems with my network, including the lan ports appearing to stop functioning entirely at times (which got worse with some firmware releases), which I was starting to suspect was the cause of the WAN issues rather than the WAN management itself. I guess a new switch is going to be added to my shopping list. Any recommendations?

It's up to you. You have options.

1) ER605 router + Asus AiMesh as AP.
2) ER605 for multi-WAN only + AX88U in Router mode behind it with its XD4 children.

3) If Ethernet cables are in place I would prefer full Omada system. Better than AiMesh.

Although it suggested above that the ASUS issues were with its LAN ports, I do like the TPlink and may stick with it.

As for option 2, I have never used two routers like this before. Which router is best to run DCHP on etc?

Almost any new 5-port or 8-port Gigabyte switch will be good. These can be had for $10 to $20 dollars today. I like the metal Netgear ones which do cost a little more when not on sale.

Which router is best to run DCHP on etc?

Both routers have DHCP enabled for their own network. The second router is a client to the first and gets its WAN IP address from the first router's DHCP. Devices connected to the second router use second router's DHCP on a separate network. You can divide your network on "less secure" and "main devices", if you want. The second router will have access to the first router's devices, but not the other way around.

A cheap router like ER605 or ER-X not only does multi-WAN better, but solves the common for Asus routers "WAN disconnected" issue with some ISPs.

Both routers have DHCP enabled for their own network. The second router is a client to the first and gets its WAN IP address from the first router's DHCP. Devices connected to the second router use second router's DHCP on a separate network. You can divide your network on "less secure" and "main devices", if you want. The second router will have access to the first router's devices, but not the other way around.

A cheap router like ER605 or ER-X not only does multi-WAN better, but solves the common for Asus routers "WAN disconnected" issue with some ISPs.

Thanks. The confusion for me regarding DCHP was that as I use IP groups to route specific devices though specific WAN interfaces Im not sure how that would work if the Asus was handing out IPs to those devices, plus if there would be a conflict.

But yes, so far the TPlink is doing a decent job. With the Asus for some reason if one WAN went down the other would go down too.

If you have some special routing configurations - yes, keep the Asus in AP mode. ER605 is simple, but you can find useful SMB features. It also has full VLAN support, as far as I remember. I had one nice "cube" before consisting of TL-R605* + OC200 + TL-SG108PE + 2x EAP245v3. Omada is perhaps the best price/performance SMB system. APs are excellent quality Qualcomm hardware. AiMesh... what?

* - the previous name of ER605