What's new

Release New RT-AX88U firmware 3.0.0.4.386.42095

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The only thing I'm seeing in the log is this:

Mar 7 10:02:09 kernel: XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX not mesh client, can't update it's ip

I don't have mesh configured at all. No routers or clients or anything mesh related. Anyone know what this is?

i have exactly the same question
The router knows al the devices and knows what devices are mesh clients or not.
i do not have mesh enabled either so why are we getting these messages while it is 100% clear that these devices are no meshclients.
is there a way to mark them as NON MESH clients or exclude them

i have read that manual dhcp assignments have something to do with this but it should because they are 2 totally different things

Installed this firmware on March 3rd and it setup as an access point. I don't use mesh, or anything else. The only bug I noticed is that I was unable to set the webui http or https port since the numbers can't be changed. I had to login via SSH and change the port number saved in NVRAM. I haven't had any wireless stability issues and it's been up and running for 3 days now without a reboot.

I'm still satisfied with this firmware and haven't had any issues with wireless clients as of yet. I also have it set to reboot on Sunday mornings like I always do just to clear things out and everything reconnects like normal. The phone utility works normally as well allowing me to connect to it wherever I am. I do not run it in a mesh.

only issue I have is the wan problem. I need to restart ax88u everytime wan dies. With the beta 9.0.0.4.386.41994 it was working for weeks(a month even).
With the beta I have already restarted ax88u 5 times. :confused:

The only thing I'm seeing in the log is this:

Mar 7 10:02:09 kernel: XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX not mesh client, can't update it's ip

I don't have mesh configured at all. No routers or clients or anything mesh related. Anyone know what this is?

That is a normal message for clients that were not rebooted or had the wifi connection reset after a mesh router restart... ot so it seems in my case. Those clients tend to disappear and become 'regular mesh clients' with time as long as the router is not rebooted, since they are repowered or renegotiate their wifi IP with the router.

In summary, I have learned not to worry about those messages in the first few days after a reboot.

That is a normal message for clients that were not rebooted or had the wifi connection reset after a mesh router restart... ot so it seems in my case. Those clients tend to disappear and become 'regular mesh clients' with time as long as the router is not rebooted, since they are repowered or renegotiate their wifi IP with the router.

In summary, I have learned not to worry about those messages in the first few days after a reboot.
There’s no mesh in my home, regular or otherwise. So no idea why it’s showing up, but will ignore.

No ASUS needs to fix this spam being put in the router log. I don't even use Mesh, and my router log gets spammed filled with these every day. I was hoping maybe the new build would clear this up.. however with this comment, it seems to still be an annoying issue. I say issue, as there's more important stuff to be logged, and not 100's of these everyday. Which I honestly feel is at least that high for me. This message gets logged a lot for me.

No ASUS needs to fix this spam being put in the router log. I don't even use Mesh, and my router log gets spammed filled with these every day. I was hoping maybe the new build would clear this up.. however with this comment, it seems to still be an annoying issue. I say issue, as there's more important stuff to be logged, and not 100's of these everyday. Which I honestly feel is at least that high for me. This message gets logged a lot for me.

Feel free to contact them if this is what you think, but I suspect those messages may be interesting to debug or find the cause of some client's behavior in a mesh setup ... even when the mesh has been composed (permantently or temporarily) by a single router. Maybe changing the message log level/urgency could suffice.

Feel free to contact them if this is what you think, but I suspect those messages may be interesting to debug or find the cause of some client's behavior in a mesh setup ... even when the mesh has been composed (permantently or temporarily) by a single router. Maybe changing the message log level/urgency could suffice.

Well i have seen it on a few different devices on my network. A couple DTV genie boxes, within a whole home dvr setup. Pretty sure i have seen it show for my PS4/PS5 consoles. It's random, but overall annoying, as it does nothing but spam the router log often. I shouldn't have to see this type of spam on the router log page, at the default message log level that's set. Wasn't an issue a couple builds ago, that had mesh included. Asus did something to cause this to happen, they need to settle it down.

I currently use Merlin's builds. So i don't think it's possible to send them a feedback report via the gui, or i would do it.

In a sense and for a mesh router, your router is a single router mesh.
Only thing is that the MAC address in the error I posted belongs to an Apple Watch my daughter wears. So it’s not the router MAC.

I’ll ignore since it’s not causing any real issues.

Six hours ago I upgraded from 41700 and so far not a single issue and nothing out of the ordinary in the logs.
Two days after upgrade all is still humming along. Nothing out of the ordinary in the logs, connectivity is solid. So from where I sit this version upgrade is been a pleasure...

I have been running over 48 hours now and everything seems to be running smooth.
The log files are showing nothing odd and the wifi network seems to be running fast.

I just upgraded my rt-ax88u to firmware-3-0-0-4-386-42095.70845 and my wan led stayed red after reboot.
I have 2 pihole dns servers defined on the wan side of my configuration. they are specified at the wan side option Connect to DNS Server automatically set to no. When I set this to yes the wan led turn to white and everything works. I specify this on the wan side because on the lan side you can only specify one dns in the dhcp configuration. I have temporarily specified only on dns on the lan side and everything is working so far.
Did anyone else run into this problem?
I need this backup dns only when maintenance is done on the primary dns and you can only specify one dns on the lan side

I just upgraded my rt-ax88u to firmware-3-0-0-4-386-42095.70845 and my wan led stayed red after reboot.
I have 2 pihole dns servers defined on the wan side of my configuration. they are specified at the wan side option Connect to DNS Server automatically set to no. When I set this to yes the wan led turn to white and everything works. I specify this on the wan side because on the lan side you can only specify one dns in the dhcp configuration. I have temporarily specified only on dns on the lan side and everything is working so far.
I need this backup dns only when maintenance is done on the primary dns and you can only specify one dns on the lan side
Yes, I ran into this exact problem with the AX88U beta firmware that preceded this production version. See here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ax88u-9-0-0-4-386-41994.69923/#post-659934

I suspect it has to do with the dnsmasq changes that were made to fix all the CVEs.

I used to have the same setup as you: The Pi-Hole's local IP address was entered under the DNS setting for IPv4 and IPv6 on the AX88U. That no longer works. I had actually been hoping that this production release would fix the issue, but I hadn't yet found a good time to take the LAN down and tinker with the settings.

As a stopgap, I had to put the Pi-Hole's local IP address into the LAN DNS (under DHCP, I think). The problem is that this doesn't route all DNS traffic through the Pi-Hole; it only captures a portion of it. So I'm still getting ads, trackers etc. on many of my devices.

ery frequency on nor

Yes, I ran into this exact problem with the AX88U beta firmware that preceded this production version. See here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ax88u-9-0-0-4-386-41994.69923/#post-659934

I suspect it has to do with the dnsmasq changes that were made to fix all the CVEs.

I used to have the same setup as you: The Pi-Hole's local IP address was entered under the DNS setting for IPv4 and IPv6 on the AX88U. That no longer works. I had actually been hoping that this production release would fix the issue, but I hadn't yet found a good time to take the LAN down and tinker with the settings.

As a stopgap, I had to put the Pi-Hole's local IP address into the LAN DNS (under DHCP, I think). The problem is that this doesn't route all DNS traffic through the Pi-Hole; it only captures a portion of it. So I'm still getting ads, trackers etc. on many of my devices.
You are correct. The dns specified on the lan side does not stop all adds. The router always gives you 2 dns adresses. You pihole and your router gateway.

I guess i'll go back to the previous version of the firmware

On previous 386 versions there have been known issues using Guest Network 1 on all AiMesh nodes and with traffic isolation. Can anyone confirm if they are using Guest Network 1 successfully?

I am running Guest Network 1 without issues.
The only thing I have noticed a couple of times, if I don't reboot the router every few weeks, odd things start happening, one of which is devices cannot connect to the guest network.
I logged a support call with ASUS, after going all through all the usual stuff including full resets, all I could get from them was I should return the devices for checking. So now I just reboot once a week and all seems OK.

The new firmware will add static routes for the WAN DNS server IPs to be routed out to the WAN gateway, which isn’t right if you are using LAN IP addresses in the WAN DNS fields. When your WAN led is red run ip route over SSH to confirm this is what’s happening.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!