What's new

new rt-n66u with comcast, very slow speed... help please.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

harlock

New Around Here
Hi,
first time posting. I just got a new rt-n66u for Christmas. We have Comcast service (modem is an Arris CM450A) at the house 22Mg download (speedtest.net shows usually 32Mg). Now here's the problem, my older router, a Netgear RangeMax n150 has no issues connecting, and giving us those speeds marks, everytime. The only thin is its range is not the best for the house, hence getting the asus router. Now I did the following:

1. Turned off my modem
2. Waited about 15 minutes as some sites recommended.
3. Turned moden On and waited for lights to be all good on it.
4. Connected cable to Wan port on Asus router.
5. Turned On router
6. Once all the lights were on, connected my laptop (windows 7) to the router via cable.
7. Open browser and went through wizard.

Router says everything is good and connected.

Now here's where my issues begin. Initially, I checked speeds and it showed 1Mg, after a few resets on modem and router (even a call to Comcast and a refresh of the modem from their part) I was able to get my normal 32Mg result on speedtest.net. That was last night. This morning, internet is super slow, do the test again and I see 1 - 5Mg speeds!?!?

I connected my laptop directly to the modem, and after rebooting it a few times, it finally got me the "normal" marks. I plugged the router back, speeds down again to 4Mg or so. At one point in the afternoon, I was able to get the Asus to hit 32Mgs and about 5 minutes later, without touching anything at all (I just did the speed test again), it was back to 5Mgs.

A few minutes ago, I plugged the Netgear router (the one I had working before) and this one, without even rebooting the modem, right away gets me 32Mgs on speedtest.net

Anybody have an idea what in the world is happening here? I would think there's something wrong with the Asus router, but what threw me off is the comcast modem, plugged directly to my laptop, would only give me 5Mgs of speed at times, and after several reboots, it would finally give me 32Mgs...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,
first time posting. I just got a new rt-n66u for Christmas. We have Comcast service (modem is an Arris CM450A) at the house 22Mg download (speedtest.net shows usually 32Mg). Now here's the problem, my older router, a Netgear RangeMax n150 has no issues connecting, and giving us those speeds marks, everytime. The only thin is its range is not the best for the house, hence getting the asus router. Now I did the following:

1. Turned off my modem
2. Waited about 15 minutes as some sites recommended.
3. Turned moden On and waited for lights to be all good on it.
4. Connected cable to Wan port on Asus router.
5. Turned On router
6. Once all the lights were on, connected my laptop (windows 7) to the router via cable.
7. Open browser and went through wizard.

Router says everything is good and connected.

Now here's where my issues begin. Initially, I checked speeds and it showed 1Mg, after a few resets on modem and router (even a call to Comcast and a refresh of the modem from their part) I was able to get my normal 32Mg result on speedtest.net. That was last night. This morning, internet is super slow, do the test again and I see 1 - 5Mg speeds!?!?

I connected my laptop directly to the modem, and after rebooting it a few times, it finally got me the "normal" marks. I plugged the router back, speeds down again to 4Mg or so. At one point in the afternoon, I was able to get the Asus to hit 32Mgs and about 5 minutes later, without touching anything at all (I just did the speed test again), it was back to 5Mgs.

A few minutes ago, I plugged the Netgear router (the one I had working before) and this one, without even rebooting the modem, right away gets me 32Mgs on speedtest.net

Anybody have an idea what in the world is happening here? I would think there's something wrong with the Asus router, but what threw me off is the comcast modem, plugged directly to my laptop, would only give me 5Mgs of speed at times, and after several reboots, it would finally give me 32Mgs...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe update your firmware, I remember seeing issues fixed related to Comcast.

Make sure the cable between the modem and the router is Cat5e or Cat6.

Yes, using the cable that came with the router (Cat5e), and also I updated the firmware when I first got things running. Any other thoughts? Thanks for the input, btw.

It is impossible to go from one router to the other or from a router to direct connection NIC with Comcast and not powercycle the modem as Comcast only allows one MAC attached to the modem (unless you pay for multiple IP).

You may have better luck powering up the router first and leaving modem off until router is fully booted as this way when the modem is powered up it will attach to the router MAC.

If you are renting that modem I would take it back and get a D3 modem as the one you have now is only D2.

D3 will give you channel bonding and a more consistent connection if/when the node is crowded.

I have no issues in my area.

201513732.png

Last edited:
Bingo! Thank you so much for all your feedback. I went and got a SB6141 and voila! It's working like a charm. So, my other modem was not being nice to the Asus router... oh well. It's a good upgrade! :)