What's new

No 5Ghz on my new AC86U?!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Big_AL

Occasional Visitor
Got a new AC86U (via legitimate UK retail and not Gearbest...etc). Set up on stock FW. Genuinely impressed with it so far - knocks to stuffing out of my old AC87U which it is replacing in terms of speed. I get near line speed from my ISP (Virgin Media 250Mb Vivid unlimited) on the 2.4Ghz band where as before I could only ever manage about 20%.

Tried Merlin's latest FW and set the channel on the 5Ghz to 36, which is what it was on my old router. Nothing. No device in the house will see it. Specifically want the Amazon firestick to use it but as mentioned, nothing will see it.

Any thoughts?

Got a new AC86U (via legitimate UK retail and not Gearbest...etc). Set up on stock FW. Genuinely impressed with it so far - knocks to stuffing out of my old AC87U which it is replacing in terms of speed. I get near line speed from my ISP (Virgin Media 250Mb Vivid unlimited) on the 2.4Ghz band where as before I could only ever manage about 20%.

Tried Merlin's latest FW and set the channel on the 5Ghz to 36, which is what it was on my old router. Nothing. No device in the house will see it. Specifically want the Amazon firestick to use it but as mentioned, nothing will see it.

Any thoughts?

Was it still shrink wrapped?

Did you upload firmware and then reset it before configuration?

Are the WiFi LEDs ON?

Can you see the signal with a WiFi Analyzer app?

Try another channel?

OE

Was it still shrink wrapped?

Did you upload firmware and then reset it before configuration?

Are the WiFi LEDs ON?

Can you see the signal with a WiFi Analyzer app?

Try another channel?

OE

Box was shrinkwrapped, as I was setting up for the first time, it was all in English, something that doesn't happen if it's a 'Chinese one' according to other forums I have read.

I was prompted to update to latest FW from ASUS which I did & and then completed setup. Can see my 5Ghz channel on Wifi analyzer 360 pro. Tried a few other channels - nothing.

So just to be clear here, Wifi analyzer 360 pro can see channel 36 but on all your other devices it doesn't show up at all?

Can you post a screen shot of the 5GHz section of the System Log > Wireless Log. Maybe also the Wireless > General page.

Had similar problem today!
Couldn't connect to 5G with any device, changed to open and back WPA2 and without doing anything on my clients they all could connect now again - VERY STRANGE!

Had similar problem today!
Couldn't connect to 5G with any device, changed to open and back WPA2 and without doing anything on my clients they all could connect now again - VERY STRANGE!

OP's problem is still unclear and relates to 'seeing' the SSID, not connecting to it.

OE

Hi, sorry for the delay in responding - been out of town on business this week!

I hooked up my older AC87U as an AP and I get my 5Ghz channel again, but only broadcasting from my AP. I have posted my screenshot below - hopefully this is what you wanted to see?

upload_2019-1-26_16-43-58.png

upload_2019-1-26_16-44-52.png

Thanks for the screen shots. But there still seems to be some confusion. You're saying that none of your devices can see the 5GHz SSID, but then you say Wifi analyzer 360 pro can see it and your screen shot clearly shows an Android device connected to it. :confused:

Under Wireless > General > Channel bandwidth do you have it set at 20/40/80MHz or just 80MHz? Maybe try changing it to 20MHz to see if that makes it visible.

You're also using the same SSID for both the bands. That might make troubleshooting which band is "visible" a bit more difficult. I suggest that for now you give them different names.

Also try disabling MU-MIMO, Airtime Fairness and Universal Beamforming as they have been known to cause compatibility problems.

Last edited:
Woohoo!!

You put me on the right track my friend!!! Thank you!!

Both SSID's were always the same - WILNET - the channels were always identified separately on my older, AC87U and worked just fine. So I just tried renaming it as you suggested now for trouble shooting and as soon as she booted up - I could see it now.

Thanks again mate - all good and the head scratching can now stop!!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!