What's new

AdGuardHome no longer filters ads

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fanasus

Regular Contributor
Hello,
⚠️❗no longer filters ads! it seems to work from its dashboard of Adguard Home, but no! Now I find myself with ads while browsing the Internet.
- I feel like it happened after updating the firmware 388.4 (while I didn’t change my configuration).
- I downgraded to 388.3, but the problem persists!
I do not know or what to do to get out of there! while everything worked well before
thank you in advance

Hello,
⚠️❗no longer filters ads! it seems to work from its dashboard of Adguard Home, but no! Now I find myself with ads while browsing the Internet.
- I feel like it happened after updating the firmware 388.4 (while I didn’t change my configuration).
I do not know or what to do to get out of there! while everything worked well before
thank you in advance
Have you tried to uninstall AGH, reboot router and reinstall?

Have you tried to uninstall AGH, reboot router and reinstall?
hello @Kingp1n , I just did it in this order: uninstall AGH, restart router, check if there were no other files left on the SSD, then reinstall AGH, restart router..

- and I will tell you if the problem is solved or not! I hope so, because it is seriously starting to tire me this invasion of Ads!
- a question: I do not know AGH, which lists would you advise me to activate!?
thank you

hello @Kingp1n , I just did it in this order: uninstall AGH, restart router, check if there were no other files left on the SSD, then reinstall AGH, restart router..

- and I will tell you if the problem is solved or not! I hope so, because it is seriously starting to tire me this invasion of Ads!
- a question: I do not know AGH, which lists would you advise me to activate!?
thank you
I had great luck with Hagezi Pro++ list below, however the default ones should work as well:

Post in thread 'Diversion vs Pi-hole' https://www.snbforums.com/threads/diversion-vs-pi-hole.54765/post-856428

Hello,
thank you in advance
Yea, I am not too fond of adguardhome. I only coded the installer script because users really wanted to try it out. With the default settings it should work for most user end cases. When you start configuring special setups like VPN'S, vlans, and/or guest networks, or special browser extensions - it can get abit tricky. I cannot speak for why your setup is not working like you wish. Maybe you could deep dive into your setup, make sure everything is set as it should be.

Yea, I am not too fond of adguardhome. I only coded the installer script because users really wanted to try it out. With the default settings it should work for most user end cases. When you start configuring special setups like VPN'S, vlans, and/or guest networks, or special browser extensions - it can get abit tricky. I cannot speak for why your setup is not working like you wish. Maybe you could deep dive into your setup, make sure everything is set as it should be.
I find this so curious: as the primary coder that made it so simple to install AdguardHome onto our Asus routers, and provide a massive amout of support to those users, to now reveal (in several recent posts) that he isn't that fond of AdguardHome and seems to strongly prefer Diversion is very odd to me. I too used Diversion since it's introduction, as well as it's predecessor, up until a couple of months ago when I decided to try out AdguardHome, and it is working well at the moment.

Don't get me wrong, we all appreciate what you have done here, and you did allude to some of the reasons behind your preferences, but can you elaborate further?

I find this so curious: as the primary coder that made it so simple to install AdguardHome onto our Asus routers, and provide a massive amout of support to those users, to now reveal (in several recent posts) that he isn't that fond of AdguardHome and seems to strongly prefer Diversion is very odd to me. I too used Diversion since it's introduction, as well as it's predecessor, up until a couple of months ago when I decided to try out AdguardHome, and it is working well at the moment.

Don't get me wrong, we all appreciate what you have done here, and you did allude to some of the reasons behind your preferences, but can you elaborate further?
Sorry if my conversation intrigues you, but hard pass. Thank you for your curiosity. I enjoy Diversion. I dislike the fact Pixelserv-tls dropped development. I currently utilize Pi-Hole. I suspect I will switch back to diversion once @thelonelycoder wraps up his endeavors modifying its current state to utilize dnsmasq nxdomain syntax. I use to use Absolution, and used Diversion up until I setup Pihole on several RPI. I only wrote the installation script for AdGuardHome for users which seem to enjoy their forever beta state. I have always had preference for Diversion; however, you can get alot out of AdGuardHome, but it is in a continuous beta state of existence because it solely focuses on addition of feature requests which also introduces unforeseen issues. I like the fact that it is an All-In-One dns solution, but I do not like its forever beta-like state. Nor can I troubleshoot every users setup 24/7 like I would like to. While it is nice when someone comes to me with an actual error in the installer which i can fix, however it seems common for users to assume a script is made for every condition possibly known to man which is not always the case. That is why I strongly suggest the user I was responding to, to evaluate their setup because they are truly the only ones who understand the state of their setup. If they cannot figure out what variable is causing problems in their setup, then maybe they should reach out to AdGuardHome developers.

Last edited:
Hello,
What steps do you take when you updated the firmware to 388.4, run me through your entire updating process. Also, feel free to share screen shots of WAN, LAN, VPN, DNSFILTER, and Guest Network Setting pages. You could also include browser settings like Mozzila, chrome, edge, or otherwise, and custom settings of devices like MAC address randomizers. (Basically anything applicable to your setup.)

Last edited:
Sorry if my conversation intrigues you, but hard pass. Thank you for your curiosity. I enjoy Diversion. I dislike the fact Pixelserv-tls dropped development. I currently utilize Pi-Hole. I suspect I will switch back to diversion once @thelonelycoder wraps up his endeavors modifying its current state to utilize dnsmasq nxdomain syntax. I use to use Absolution, and used Diversion up until I setup Pihole on several RPI. I only wrote the installation script for AdGuardHome for users which seem to enjoy their forever beta state. I have always had preference for Diversion; however, you can get alot of AdGuardHome, but it is in a continuous beta state of existence because it solely focuses on addition of feature requests which also introduces unforeseen issues. I like the fact that it is an All-In-One dns solution, but I do not like its forever beta-like state. Nor can I troubleshoot every users setup 24/7 like I would like to. While it is nice when someone comes to me with an actual error in the installer which i can fix, however it seems common for users to assume a script is made for every condition possibly known to man which is not always the case. That is why I strongly suggest the user I was responding to, to evaluate their setup because they are truly the only ones who understand the state of their setup. If they cannot figure out what variable is causing problems in their setup, then maybe they should reach out to AdGuardHome developers.
Thanks for the thoughtful response, that covers all my questions and concerns. Yes, I agree that perhaps AdguardHome does focus a little too strongly on adding new features with the potential cost of lower stabilty/reliability. I may switch back to Diversion with the coming updates, especially if I experience any instability with AdGuardHome.

@jsbeddow At the end of the day, I coded the AdGuardHome installer and its auxiliary files because I wanted users to have options. Yea, unbound and diversion are good choices, but people want options. AMTM and Asuswrt-Merlin Addons are both great places to give users options.
And - as we discussed - you had/have my full support to bring this as a welcome option to Asuswrt-Merlin. Takes the pressure away from Diversion and me. And it worked as I hoped it would :cool:

I've found that AdGuardHome runs better when not on the router and now run it on a RaspPi and a VM.

Had pihole on those before, and can't tell the difference from a client perspective. They both seem to work well. Can't say the same when I ran it on the router, where it was glitchy now and then. This is no reflection on SomeWhereOverTheRainbow, as the installation worked fine, I just don't think the router did that well running it and it's better off these little devices.