What's new

Not able to print via VPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fenguix

Occasional Visitor
Hi!

I'm not able to print from any device to my network printer at home via VPN wireguard client/server.

At home: Asus router with Asuswrt-Merlin firmware and wireguard server. Printer is a network (wifi) HP unit.

Of course, in lan at home all works prefect with printer, but being on the road and accesing with wireguard client i'm not able to print. Printer looks like "offline" in windows and in android devices tested.
Accessing samba shared drives works all ok, accessing internet ok, even accessing the embedded web server page of the printer is ok via VPN.

What could be the problem?

Thanks!

Are you able to ping the printer by both it's IP address and its FQDN? The client you are trying to reach the printer from - are you using FQDN? I find most of the time in this situation it is better to use an IP address.

The printer is reachable as you can get to the web UI (to confirm). So, I am thinking it is driver related (how the printer is addressed).

Hi!. Printer is reachable by his ip in webserver/browser.... and printer is added by IP not by name on the net. So, yes, it´s reachable by IP. But no printing allowed. Also tried to "add" a printer in windows by IP and of course windows can't find her, that's why can't print. But also happens on Android phone, so it's not client related. Or maybe I need a special configuration in client and/or server wireguard?
But can be driver related, yes of course. Or port? not sure. I don't have other printer to test :-(
I'm not reaching the printer by bonjour or something, just by the IP (static one)

Check the printer properties and make sure Windows has not done something stupid. HP software will often change the address to something of it's own liking.

You may also have to adjust the client side firewall to allow communications (other than http) on the printer IP (it will most certainly be outside your subnet from your remote location).

Printer is not attached to any server or anything. So I can´t do anything on the printer. It's at static ip by printr setting and by router/dhcp setting. So, always "in same place". I believe that has something to do with driver or with port or protocol of communication. But no idea how to configure to "open" that port/protocol from client and/or server. IF that is the problem, that i'm not sure

Turn off your windows firewall temporarily and see the problem is resolved. That will rule out firewall issues.

If the printer has a lan port, run a cable temporarily to see if that changes the issue.

i vaguely recall some posting here about similar issue that was only resolved by setting up static routes, but it may not be the same issue as yours.

Nope, no lan port, just wifi. Of course pinging the printer ip goes perfectly well from windows .
And without VPN, just in same Lan at home, of course printineg goes well

What is the model of the printer?

I've always hated working with HP software. If you installed any kind of HP software on your client, it has likely setup communications to your printer using HP protocols. I avoid HP like the plague and when I do have to work with HP, i install the printer without using HP software (i install the printer using a TCP/IP driver as opposed to HP).

I am sorry that i can not be any more help. Other than checking the advanced properties of the printer on your client to ensure the printer address is an actual IP address and not the HP serial name, i would say this is a HP software issue.

In the Notebook I think it has the HP soft installed, probably yes, but on the phone Android should not have anything about HP AFAIK.
It´s really strange and yes, I think it is related with HP driver or something.
I'm doing a workaround of sending files to the hp eprint service and it goes to printer and prints. So, in some way, "I can print" but should work in VPN.
Thanks for the advices and help! I'll continue to try some things to see if I can find a workaround.

Just for kicks, I tried printing a document from my android phone via my WG client connection on my phone to my WG server on my Asus-Router running Merlin. Printer was a HP 227. Every thing worked fine.

Like I said, I set my printer up using just windows (ip setup), and not let HP have any say.

My router is a 386 codebase and I use my own wireguard script, so your issue could be firewall rules at the router. I masquerade my WG subnet to my LAN so it looks like traffic on the wg subnet looks like it is coming from the LAN. I can't say that is your issue, but without further in depth investigation, who knows.

Glad you found a workaround though.

@Jeffrey Young you are a genius!
I uninstalled all HP related software and added printed by IP but without any (at least from my side) HP software (I think Win11 installed HP driver by itself), but nothing "extra" from HP.
Now it's working !!!!
So yes, damn HP drivers where the problem.... now just with basic installation by windows the printer is found on VPN and I can print AND also I can scan too.
So thanks.... problem solved..... no more HP software!

LOL.... I think that is the first time I've ever been called that. I wonder if the wife would agree!

Just happy it all worked out for you.