What's new

ntpMerlin Chronyd not starting issue "Fatal error : Could not get user/group ID of nobody"

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Wyehoota

New Around Here
Chronyd not starting issue "Fatal error : Could not get user/group ID of nobody"

I have just chased this down on my RT-AX92u(3004.388.7_1-gnuton0_alpha1) and Entware 4.5.1, ntpMerlin 3.4.5.

Seems that chronyd (or the libraries it links) are looking for the passwd file in /opt/etc/passwd (entware environment) rather than /tmp/etc/passwd (router). There is a passwd.1 and group.1 in there

[bit suss here about what THAT root password (in passwd.1) allows!]. PW is "12345" I have removed that password!

To solve the chronyd startup, I just copied the router passwd and group files from /tmp/etc/ to /opt/etc/

I also installed "rd" which runs 'ntpdate' to initially set the clock, and 'nvram set ntp_ready=1' to avoid scripts deadlocking because NTP is not synced.

i.e. in say service-event
"
#!/bin/sh
cp /tmp/etc/passwd /opt/etc/
cp /tmp/etc/group /opt/etc/
# ntpdate xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
nvram set ntp_ready=1
nvram commit
"

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!