What's new

AdGuardHome AdGuard Home - Filter issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

B255ea006

Regular Contributor
Hi,

i do have issues with AdGuard Home on my router. The filters are not working or effective.

Im running AdGuard Home on my router but the router is in Wireless-Router mode not in AP mode but behind an Wireless Internet Router Fritzbox 6850 5G.

Should i switch to AP Mode?

Regards

PS: I do have also issues with the VPN Director. I do have 3 stable running wireguard connections and selected for different clients different VPN connections but it is only possible to run 2 different VPN connection to the clients simultaniously.

like:

Client 1 - VPN 1
Client 2 - VPN 2
but if i select a 3rd client

Client 3 - VPN 3 ... that´s not going to have effect ... it will connect to VPN 1

@SomeWhereOverTheRainBow

@thelonelycoder

@RMerlin

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-17 143140.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-17 143140.png
    153.7 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
What am i doing wrong?

Skynet is also very in trouble and busy.

Attachments

• syslog.txt
    424.9 KB · Views: 29
  • Screenshot 2023-06-17 143837.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-17 143837.png
    154.3 KB · Views: 76
Without knowing your AdGuard Home settings it's impossible to give you an advice.

No, you have to use Router mode if you want AdGuard Home doing something on this router.

No, your Skynet does very little behind another firewall in your current double NAT configuration.
Should i change my NAT configuration?

Here are my AdGuard Home settings! (view PDF)

Are my router settings imported? Are they causing an conflict or error or something which prevent AdGuard Home from working correctly and without failure?

Attachments

• AdGuard Home#1-6.pdf
    789.2 KB · Views: 43
@Tech9

What does that mean? (it´s my system log of the router)

Jun 17 20:06:04 AdGuardHome[21774]: 2023/06/17 20:06:04.342457 [error] handling tcp: handling tcp request: talking to dns upstream: dialing [::]:553 over tcp: all dialers failed: dial tcp [::]:553: connect: cannot assign requested address
Jun 17 20:06:05 dnsmasq[468197]: Maximum number of concurrent DNS queries reached (max: 150)
Jun 17 20:06:08 AdGuardHome[21774]: 2023/06/17 20:06:08.114699 [error] handling tcp: handling tcp request: talking to dns upstream: dialing [::]:553 over tcp: all dialers failed: dial tcp [::]:553: connect: cannot assign requested address
Jun 17 20:06:10 AdGuardHome[21774]: 2023/06/17 20:06:10.099958 [error] handling tcp: handling tcp request: talking to dns upstream: dialing [::]:553 over tcp: all dialers failed: dial tcp [::]:553: connect: cannot assign requested address

Should i change my NAT configuration?

I know nothing about your ISP and if the ISP equipment is required.

Here are my AdGuard Home settings! (view PDF)

I have no comment on this configuration. It's a total mess of DNS servers, every single blocklist you could find with 1h update, internal LAN DNS encryption (?, not visible well) and whatnot. You are killing your router with your lack of knowledge and copying everything found on Internet from someone else's setup. When you go with 3rd party firmware and custom scripts you are expected to know what are you doing. At least the basics and limitations.

10 upstream servers, 10 bootstrap servers, 90-day logging, AdGuard filtering and 67 blocklists updated every 1h, 6 seconds cache with Optimistic caching enabled... seriously? Where did you get this last one from?

Last edited:
I know nothing about your ISP and if the ISP equipment is required.

I have no comment on this configuration. It's a total mess of DNS servers, every single blocklist you could find with 1h update, internal LAN DNS encryption (?, not visible well) and whatnot. You are killing your router with your lack of knowledge and copying everything found on Internet from someone else's setup. When you go with 3rd party firmware and custom scripts you are expected to know what are you doing. At least the basics and limitations.

10 upstream servers, 10 bootstrap servers, 90-day logging, AdGuard filtering and 67 blocklists updated every 1h... seriously?
Im sorry ... im learning by doing and clutching my settings with trail and error together. I do start to know things but slow and it is the hard way.
I do have no further help then this forum and "bing"/ "google" searches and they are not really a help. But i want to acquiree the proper knowledge as quick as possible. i want to learn but it is hard to look after something if you do not know where or what to look after. Please be kind and share your Knowledge.

Regards

Now what should i do?

Cut some upstream and bootstrap server to how many? And which should i prefer? What about the logging? What do you think? Cutting down to 7 days? And the filter update to 12 hours?

My thought was that with a 90 logging it is harder to oversee the incorrect DNS request and get an overview of the correctly blocked DNS requests ... because there are logged DNS requests which should be blocked but there are not and with a 90 day log i do not have the presure to check the requests log whiteout missing something while not checking the log daily in detail whiteout being able to realize a incorrect or false entry. im checking every reguest to the point where im able know it´s orgin and status, should it be blocked or not.

Example i do have filter who should block ads and popups etc.
But https://canyoublockit.com/ shows ads and popups and cookies as well as on https://d3ward.github.io/toolz/adblock.html or the https://adguard.com/de/test.html which shows AdGuard not running but it should and i do not know why AdGuard Home is not working correctly.

Im checking every setting twice or as long as i need to know what that setting does, or not.

What do you think?

I think your learning process should exclude changing settings you know little about. I also think you have to read more before you try. Plenty of information is available here on SNB Forums including discussions around home router limitations with AdGuard Home installed. You obviously add whatever you see online to your configuration and this is not learning - this is a mistake.

Now what should i do?

It's up to you. I would start over and stay close to the default settings in both firmware and add-ons. If you want to experiment - save a clean Asuswrt-Merlin configuration, change/install one thing at a time after. If someone goes wrong - reset the router and restore the clean configuration. Like save progress in games before you step on the mine or jump off the cliff to see what happens.

hello,
since yesterday I now see ads on websites, as if Adguard Home does not work properly! (I updated it recently).
greetings

Have you tried rebooting the router first?

hello, no specially !
but in AGH, I see that he apparently works! that’s what I don’t understand

I did, and reinstalled AGH, but the ads are still there!! I don’t understand!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!