What's new

ntpMerlin ntpMerlin - NTP Daemon for AsusWRT Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

This appears to be "limited" in action:
Code:
limited
These hosts are subject to limitation of number of clients from the same net. Net in this context refers to the IP notion of net (class A, class B, class C, etc.). Only the first client_limit hosts that have shown up at the server and that have been active during the last client_limit_period seconds are accepted. Requests from other clients from the same net are rejected. Only time request packets are taken into account. Query packets sent by the ntpq and ntpdc programs are not subject to these limits. A history of clients is kept using the monitoring capability of ntpd. Thus, monitoring is always active as long as there is a restriction entry with the limited flag.

@EmeraldDeer do we need limited on the LAN?
Limited and kod are there to discourage users or code which use NTP servers in a manner which is considered abusive. So it would appear that we have come across such a person. :D

But seriously, you can edit the configuration to remove limited and kod or even remove all security for the local network.
Code:
restrict 192.168.1.0 mask 255.255.255.0 nomodify notrap nopeer noquery # Removed limited and kod for LAN
restrict 192.168.1.0 mask 255.255.255.0 # No security for LAN

Last edited:
Limited and kod are there to discourage users or code which use NTP servers in a manner which is considered abusive. So it would appear that we have come across such a person. :D

But seriously, you can edit the configuration to remove limited and kod or even remove all security for the local network.
Code:
restrict 192.168.1.0 mask 255.255.255.0 nomodify notrap nopeer noquery # Removed limited and kod for LAN
restrict 192.168.1.0 mask 255.255.255.0 # No security for LAN
No biggy just trying to understand the ntp delivery system better. Thank you for the explanation. It is best to leave security parameters as is. Can one use more than 4 ntp servers or is 4 the max?

1.2.3 is now available
Changelog:
Code:
Generate stats from the WebUI - only available on f/w versions that support service-event
Please run option u again after the first update, to ensure all new files are pulled down
Upgrade went down without a hitch for me you might want to add the rt-ac5300 as supported.

No biggy just trying to understand the ntp delivery system better. Thank you for the explanation. It is best to leave security parameters as is. Can one use more than 4 ntp servers or is 4 the max?
I know eight are supported because if you use pool as I do, then ntpd adds to your servers for a total of eight.

1.2.3 is now available
Changelog:
Code:
Generate stats from the WebUI - only available on f/w versions that support service-event
Please run option u again after the first update, to ensure all new files are pulled down

Just updated my RT-AC68U, RT-AC86U and my RT-AC3100 and all good. :)

Which versions support the new generate stats feature?

my rt ac 5300 supports the generated feature

384.5 and above I believe

Sorry, I misunderstood that (I thought I would be able to download the stats, just reading too fast).

The update stats button on the top is a great improvement, as is the tip to do a Ctrl-F5 to refresh the page too.

The system with the most uptime (just over 8 days now) is currently showing -65.7 u for an offset. How can I improve this? Lol... :D

Thanks for a great, trouble-free and truly useful script. :)

how the hell does one have 128.6 n in jitter

Sorry, I misunderstood that (I thought I would be able to download the stats, just reading too fast).

The update stats button on the top is a great improvement, as is the tip to do a Ctrl-F5 to refresh the page too.

The system with the most uptime (just over 8 days now) is currently showing -65.7 u for an offset. How can I improve this? Lol... :D

Thanks for a great, trouble-free and truly useful script. :)

my last one said proto: precision = 1.441 usec (-19) idk if this is good meh or horrible lol. but the graphs look cool.

is it normal to have zero jitter?

so for example
server 0.pool.ntp.org
server 1.pool.ntp.org
server 2.pool.ntp.org
server 3.pool.ntp.org

would this be considered singular?

so for example
server 0.pool.ntp.org
server 1.pool.ntp.org
server 2.pool.ntp.org
server 3.pool.ntp.org

No. They are four (4) distinct servers, but I believe that there should be an "iburst" parameter at the end of the server line -- unfortunately, I do not have access to any of my routers at the moment.

so for example
server 0.pool.ntp.org
server 1.pool.ntp.org
server 2.pool.ntp.org
server 3.pool.ntp.org

I had the same issue but only had one server....Added a second and now I have data showing. This is what I have in mine.

Code:
server 0.north-america.pool.ntp.org iburst
server 1.north-america.pool.ntp.org iburst

By default, the graph gets the jitter data from the "sys_jitter" output of command "ntpq -4 -c rv".

If it is zero despite there being more than one server in /jffs/configs/ntp.conf, then perhaps you forgot to recycle "/opt/etc/init.d/S77ntpd restart" after editing.

A quick way to see how many servers you have is to "ntpq -p"

No. They are four (4) distinct servers, but I believe that there should be an "iburst" parameter at the end of the server line -- unfortunately, I do not have access to any of my routers at the moment.
"iburst" helps. DO NOT use "burst", you'll get kicked off the servers. (and it's rude)