What's new

NVX worth $290 over NV+

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GGW

Occasional Visitor
I have sitting next to me a NV+ still in it's shipping box. Had planned to install it today but am now having second thoughts. With the discovery a couple of days ago that eaegis has a diskless NVX for $789 I'm wondering if it may be worth the extra $290 over what I paid for the NV+

Current network is 10/100 w 4 PC's all with 10/100. I assume that my next laptop, sometime in the coming 6 months, will have a 1k ethernet port on it. The cost to swap out to a 10/100/1000 switch ($119 for a WRT610N) is not too expensive and I'm sure over coming years the other PC's will get upgraded to mobo's w/ gigabit.

Plan had been to use NV+ for 2 - 3 years and then upgrade so cost was a fairly significant consideration. With the diskless version available I'm now thinking that perhaps the extra money might be worth it both short term and may allow me to push it's useful life to 3 - 5 years? What are folks thoughts? Are we likely to see significant improvements in the coming 2 years and so saving the $300 now and upgrading in a year or 2 or 3 will be a better option than spending more now and feeling like I need to wait a lot longer to upgrade so that I get my money out of it?

Thanks,

I have sitting next to me a NV+ still in it's shipping box. Had planned to install it today but am now having second thoughts. With the discovery a couple of days ago that eaegis has a diskless NVX for $789 I'm wondering if it may be worth the extra $290 over what I paid for the NV+

Current network is 10/100 w 4 PC's all with 10/100. I assume that my next laptop, sometime in the coming 6 months, will have a 1k ethernet port on it. The cost to swap out to a 10/100/1000 switch ($119 for a WRT610N) is not too expensive and I'm sure over coming years the other PC's will get upgraded to mobo's w/ gigabit.

No need to change your router, just get a $40 gigabit switch and connect it to your current router LAN port. Use the gigabit switch ports for your LAN wired PC's. If you are looking to also ugrade to N Wifi, then I can understand the desire for a new router. In this case look at the Netgear WNDR3700.
Plan had been to use NV+ for 2 - 3 years and then upgrade so cost was a fairly significant consideration. With the diskless version available I'm now thinking that perhaps the extra money might be worth it both short term and may allow me to push it's useful life to 3 - 5 years? What are folks thoughts? Are we likely to see significant improvements in the coming 2 years and so saving the $300 now and upgrading in a year or 2 or 3 will be a better option than spending more now and feeling like I need to wait a lot longer to upgrade so that I get my money out of it?

Thanks,

One never knows what the future may hold. I suspect newer NAS models will continue to offer improved performance, but the NVX is already faster than some PC's transfer data over a gigabit connection.

One thing that will change is that future Readynas products will likely include USB 3. The USB 2 ports on the Readynas are probably the biggest drawback to the product. That said, Netgear can optimize their current USB 2 implementation and squeeze 2x the throughput than they are getting right now (certainly on the x86 models like the NVX and Pro). Maybe one day as Linux and these translation drivers improve.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!