What's new

Odd lockup with Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

HRearden

Occasional Visitor
I am running Merlin 384.13 on an RT-AC86U. I love all the features, DoH, etc.
I have a situation which i can't seem to track down which causes the router to lock down forcing a complete reset when it happens.
Sometimes when I cycle the power or when it is cycled for me. The router will come back up with only the 3 right most lights on solid. The power, and two wifi lights. No other response from the router. When I watch boot up, the switch lights come on an cycle twice, then go out and the three come on and that is it. To recover I have to hold down the reset for 10+ sec, then given a 192.168.1.x hardcoded ip, it will respond to a ping on 192.168.1.1, but no web and asus recovery doesn't find it. Another cycle with the WPS pressed for 10+ sec will have it respond to a ping on 192.168.50.1 given a hardcoded ip and a pared down web interface where I can upload firmware. At which point I can put either asus or merlin and it comes up back on 192.168.1.1 and I can start reentering the settings. I can enter a fair amount of settings and everything is fine, but once I get pretty far in my set up the troubles start.
Everything operates fine until I do a reboot, then it often does not come back up and I have to start over.
I ended up entering a few settings, saving the config, and rebooting a few times. If successful, then I entered a few more and repeated. Eventually I came to a place where if I entered a new user and password for PPTP, then it would not come back up on the next reboot. It didn't make sense, but I had run out of patience to start over on testing, so I just left it out.
I have been running fine for a few weeks and made a few changes, and did a reboot and it locked again this time after enabling dual WAN.
Has anyone had a similar experience?
My settings file is 68k, does that have a bearing?
If I go back in firmware it doesn't seem to matter.

rearden

Last edited:
I am running Merlin 384.13 on an RT-AC86U. I love all the features, DoH, etc.
I have a situation which i can't seem to track down which causes the router to lock down forcing a complete reset when it happens.
Sometimes when I cycle the power or when it is cycled for me. The router will come back up with only the 3 right most lights on solid. The power, and two wifi lights. No other response from the router. When I watch boot up, the switch lights come on an cycle twice, then go out and the three come on and that is it. To recover I have to hold down the reset for 10+ sec, then given a 192.168.1.x hardcoded ip, it will respond to a ping on 192.168.1.1, but no web and asus recovery doesn't find it. Another cycle with the WPS pressed for 10+ sec will have it respond to a ping on 192.168.50.1 given a hardcoded ip and a pared down web interface where I can upload firmware. At which point I can put either asus or merlin and it comes up back on 192.168.1.1 and I can start reentering the settings. I can enter a fair amount of settings and everything is fine, but once I get pretty far in my set up the troubles start.
Everything operates fine until I do a reboot, then it often does not come back up and I have to start over.
I ended up entering a few settings, saving the config, and rebooting a few times. If successful, then I entered a few more and repeated. Eventually I came to a place where if I entered a new user and password for PPTP, then it would not come back up on the next reboot. It didn't make sense, but I had run out of patience to start over on testing, so I just left it out.
I have been running fine for a few weeks and made a few changes, and did a reboot and it locked again.
Has anyone had a similar experience?
My settings file is 68k, does that have a bearing?
If I go back in firmware it doesn't seem to matter.

rearden

Has it always been like this?

Are you performing a factory default reset after installing the firmware... then configure from scratch?

OE

I am performing a factory default reset in order to be able to install the firmware. The router is locked up and will not respond until after I do a reset, reinstall the firmware (it comes up with default values) and then configure from scratch. I do not do a reset to defaults after the firmware install, I hold down the reset button and later the WPS so that I can get it unlocked.

It really seems like I have reached a level so that I cannot make any additional changes to settings without exceeding something and then it locking up upon reboot.

You also seem to require full reset to factory defaults after installing the latest firmware too. :)

https://www.snbforums.com/members/l-ld.24423/

Please see the link above for the M&M Config and possibly the Nuclear Reset too to try to resolve your issues. :)