What's new

[Official Beta] AiMesh beta firmware for RT-AC68U/RT-AC86U/RT-AC5300/RT-AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't believe master will communicate with nodes over wan interface.
Worth trying, you never know, but I won't implement that communication over master wan port. Under the assumption it will go to ISP and that won't make any sense. Plus it may not be secure (I'm yet to capture traffic and see if that traffic is encrypted).
For you this should be an easy one, configure the master while connected on wan port and add a node (that part is over wireless). Move the node where it belongs, wire it on its wan port and check the master if it communicates with node over wire. If not, move the cable from wan to Lan on the master and they will communicate over wire.

Thanks for that reply, was hoping something like that would work. I’m still unclear from your reply on one thing. Do the wired connections from the WAN ports of my 3 slave AIMesh AP nodes need to end up (via switches etc) into a LAN port on my master AIMesh AP, and then WAN port of master AIMesh unit connects to whatever router I am using?

Or can all 4 WAN ports of the AIMesh APs (master and slaves) be wired to the main house router, like you would do if you weren’t using AI mesh?

This will make a big difference to how I situate things and cable them.

StephenH

When device is operating in AP mode, wan connection effectively become lan ports just like others, only in router mode wan port is meant to connect to isp.
I have tried with regular firmware with three RT-AC68U long time ago and they worked as expected. Should be same for other Asus routers too.

Last edited:
One more reason to believe it will work without any change in your cabling.
Solution worth a try. Roaming is impressive! Enterprise style, at least, without expensive controllers and ridiculously expensive APs.

Solution worth a try. Roaming is impressive! Enterprise style, at least, without expensive controllers and ridiculously expensive APs.

Regarding roaming, do you have idea if it is fit for use with voice call or VOIP.

I currently have RT88U and RT68U (node) running Update 10/12. I was wanting to upgrade to Update 11/17. I assume i upgrade router and node in each UI? Does the node have to be factory reset again?

Thanks in advance.

No. In router's firmware page you'll find option to upgrade the router and AiMesh node(s).
What I can't tell if there's a specific order. I can only but guess you first upgrade router and after each node.

Thanks for that reply, was hoping something like that would work. I’m still unclear from your reply on one thing. Do the wired connections from the WAN ports of my 3 slave AIMesh AP nodes need to end up (via switches etc) into a LAN port on my master AIMesh AP, and then WAN port of master AIMesh unit connects to whatever router I am using?

Or can all 4 WAN ports of the AIMesh APs (master and slaves) be wired to the main house router, like you would do if you weren’t using AI mesh?

StephenH

There is a installation guideline(pdf file) in here,
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0ByEpTc0fDkeqLU9fbUlCSGhhaEU

Based on Hawk’s reply to me (thanks Hawk!) about the the WAN port being “just another LAN port” in AP mode, I am hopeful this is the case, but unless someone has actually done it and can report back, or Wilson chimes in to confirm yes or no, I’m in the dark until I actually try it, which will be a few weeks from now when all the various bits arrive. If it’s not clarified by then I’ll report back.

StephenH

When device is operating in AP mode, wan connection effectively become lan ports just like others, only in router mode wan port is meant to connect to isp.
I have tried with regular firmware with three RT-AC68U long time ago and they worked as expected. Should be same for other Asus routers too.

I’m hoping that is indeed how it works, but at this point it is untested, so I’m cautious about relying on it being OK that way.

StephenH

StephenH

The 3 slaves wan ports need to be plugged into the same switch that has a connection to both a lan port of the master AP, and a lan port of the master router. The wan port of the master AP is not used (well i dont use it, im not sure it it becomes another lan port in AP mode). You do not have to have some kind of daisy chain operation going.

So Slaves wan ports get plugged into the switch, everyone else just uses lan ports to the switch, and only the router gets a wan connection to the modem/fiber line.

Thanks, I’ve read it, but it doesn’t really apply to my situation.

StephenH

I hope this can help you.

D19944A586AF441EB76E9B2AD9EFFC8B4

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_261 Nov. 23 13.27.jpg
    ScreenHunter_261 Nov. 23 13.27.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 915
The 3 slaves wan ports need to be plugged into the same switch that has a connection to both a lan port of the master AP, and a lan port of the master router. The wan port of the master AP is not used (well i dont use it, im not sure it it becomes another lan port in AP mode). You do not have to have some kind of daisy chain operation going.

So Slaves wan ports get plugged into the switch, everyone else just uses lan ports to the switch, and only the router gets a wan connection to the modem/fiber line.

Thanks, much appreciated.

So glad I don't have to have some kind of daisy-chain going! The bit I was missing was not having to use the WAN port of the master AIMesh AP.
Is this based on your own experience? That is, you know for a fact it works?

StephenH

I hope this can help you.

D19944A586AF441EB76E9B2AD9EFFC8B4
Yes, thanks very much for the diagram, it does help.

I was missing the bit (in my head) about not having to use the WAN port on the Master AIMesh AP but just a LAN port.
Making a bit more sense now ... otherwise it would have been a bit tedious to be truthful :)

StephenH

Last edited:
Thanks, much appreciated.

So glad I don't have to have some kind of daisy-chain going! The bit I was missing was not having to use the WAN port of the master AIMesh AP.
Is this based on your own experience? That is, you know for a fact it works?

StephenH

Yup. While a smaller setup here is mine:
(main room)
cable modem is plugged into the wan port of my LEDE router
1 router lan port is plugged into the 24 port switch
wan port of AP node plugged into 24 port switch
100ft run from the main switch to the garage
Garage has master AP mesh. 100ft run is plugged into the lan port. Also a server is plugged into the lan port. Wan port of master AP is empty.

The only scenario i have not tried is, can i plug things into the lan ports of the nodes.

The only scenario i have not tried is, can i plug things into the lan ports of the nodes.

Yes, you can plugin the wired device into the lan ports of the nodes

我從使用 Tapatalk 的 ASUS_Z012DA 發送

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!