What's new

[Official Beta] AiMesh beta firmware for RT-AC68U/RT-AC86U/RT-AC5300/RT-AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stupid question maybe but what is the difference between repeater and aimesh?
AiMesh is a name of the management system, repeater is a part of this system and managed by AiMesh.

我從使用 Tapatalk 的 ASUS_Z012DA 發送

Stupid question maybe but what is the difference between repeater and aimesh?

With AiMesh, you don't need to separately manage your router + Repeater - they're centrally managed. It can also more easily accommodate multiple devices.

Does it work via cable too?

I mean, when AP's are connected via ethernet cables to main router?

(main room)
cable modem is plugged into the wan port of my LEDE router
1 router lan port is plugged into the 24 port switch
wan port of AP node plugged into 24 port switch
100ft run from the main switch to the garage
Garage has master AP mesh. 100ft run is plugged into the lan port. Also a server is plugged into the lan port. Wan port of master AP is empty.

The only scenario i have not tried is, can i plug things into the lan ports of the nodes.

Thanks again, and I had to Google what a LEDE router was so I learnt something else along the way :) An OpenWRT fork of some kind. What hardware do you run it on and what are the big advantages for you?

StephenH

Thanks again, and I had to Google what a LEDE router was so I learnt something else along the way :) An OpenWRT fork of some kind. What hardware do you run it on and what are the big advantages for you?

StephenH

A bit off topic but why not.

Openwrt is about dead. It got so bad that last year they forked it, and all the devs moved over to lede project.
Lede has a very nice qos called CAKE. It is currently the best/newest out there and is even better than sqm. It completely eliminates buffer bloat(on stable connections), and is very fast on its reactions vs fq_codel (asus's best option via bandwidth limiter with the trick of putting in 192.168.1.1-199 for which pc to limit). I only have to give up 2% of my 120mbs connection (vs 5-10% with traditional qos) to get an A+ on dsl reports buffer bloat test.

And lede has a unique feature, you can install it on x64/x86 hardware most of the time right out of the box, if the pc has 2 intel nics. I have a 10 watt Shuttle Inc. DS57U (fanless dual core Celeron 3205U) for my router.
So i could run lede with cake running on a wndr 4300, but with 120mbs connection it runs at 95% cpu usage. By comparison my rt-ac68u runs at 75% in bandwidth limiter mode (or 40% if i over clock to 1.4ghz). However my DS57U runs at 15%.

My other option for the DS57U is pfsense, but i dont like to forum surf for hours to get simple things to work, and its sqm qos is inferior to cake.

A bit off topic but why not.

Openwrt is about dead. It got so bad that last year they forked it, and all the devs moved over to lede project.
Lede has a very nice qos called CAKE. It is currently the best/newest out there and is even better than sqm. It completely eliminates buffer bloat(on stable connections), and is very fast on its reactions vs fq_codel (asus's best option via bandwidth limiter with the trick of putting in 192.168.1.1-199 for which pc to limit). I only have to give up 2% of my 120mbs connection (vs 5-10% with traditional qos) to get an A+ on dsl reports buffer bloat test.

Interesting, thanks, I’ll do some more reading about CAKE, but I did pull this way off-topic so we better leave it at that for now?

StephenH

I am running the aimesh firmware on a TM-AC1900 and for some reason after being online for about 10 minutes I lose the ability to access the internet. I know the internet is working because if I start a stream on Netflix the stream will continue but every PC has an issue. Any ideas?

I just started running the latest firmware on two rt-ac68u connected via a wired backhaul. I have Logitech Harmony hubs on the TV's, one is right near the node. If I use the app on my android phone to control it, the wifi from that node dies. When the wifi returns, any time I try to use it again the wireless dies again. When I have time I'll investigate further.

I just started running the latest firmware on two rt-ac68u connected via a wired backhaul. I have Logitech Harmony hubs on the TV's, one is right near the node. If I use the app on my android phone to control it, the wifi from that node dies. When the wifi returns, any time I try to use it again the wireless dies again. When I have time I'll investigate further.

Could you send the feedback and give me a identify code for me in comments/suggestion field?

Since many of you have asked me, Here is the CFE that I used to get two TM-AC1900s working with the new AiMesh Firmware. I only had to write it to the master/router, not the node.

Brief instructions (you will have to re-configure the router after this process because you have to do a nvram erase/factory reset):
  1. Log in to router
  2. Go to Administration > System > Enable SSH > Yes > Apply
  3. Open Putty and WinSCP and connect them to 192.168.1.1 using a admin : admin or admin : password (or whatever you may have changed it to)
    Tip: In WinSCP select SCP as file protocol, in Putty SSH
  4. In putty type:
    cat /dev/mtd0 > backup_cfe.bin
  5. In WinSCP refresh the window on the right side and note that backup_cfe.bin is present
  6. Copy backup_cfe.bin to a local drive as a backup
  7. Download the cfe_from_ac68u.bin file from the link above
  8. Open the CFE with a hex editor or CFEEdit.
    Modify the WAN Mac address and secret code as I have zeroed them out
    Important: If you are going to put this CFE on more than one router on a common network, you should edit all the MAC addresses in the CFE so there are no duplicates on your local network.
  9. Upload the edited CFE to router through WinSCP
  10. Upload mtd-write to router through WinSCP (Found HERE)
  11. In Putty type:
    chmod u+x mtd-write
  12. In Putty type:
    ./mtd-write cfe_from_ac68u.bin boot
  13. In Putty type:
    mtd-erase2 nvram
  14. In Putty type:
    reboot

I have just created an account only to thank you! I was struggling to get it to work, and flashing the modified CFE with my own MAC addresses and code worked just fine. It's working great with two TM-AC1900 @ RT-AC68U . And as stated i only had to flash the CFE onto the main router.

Reactions: m3_
To those who have gotten the AIMesh running happily ...

Does the Guest Networks functionality work across all APs with AIMesh?
I assume it just gets set up on the Master (Will be in AP mode in my case) as per usual Wireless setup?

StephenH

Last edited:
To those who have gotten the AIMesh running happily ...

Does the Guest Networks functionality work across all APs with AIMesh?
I assume it just gets set up on the Master (Will be in AP mode in my case) as per usual Wireless setup?

StephenH
The Guest Network is developing now for multiple APs.

The Guest Network is developing now for multiple APs.

That IS very good news, as I didn't even realise that it wasn't part of the implementation yet.
Any rough idea how long it will be until we see it?
And yes I realise software development is not an exact science and you may not wish to commit, but any information would be appreciated.

StephenH

That IS very good news, as I didn't even realise that it wasn't part of the implementation yet.
Any rough idea how long it will be until we see it?
And yes I realise software development is not an exact science and you may not wish to commit, but any information would be appreciated.

StephenH
Around two months later

I am running the aimesh firmware on a TM-AC1900 and for some reason after being online for about 10 minutes I lose the ability to access the internet. I know the internet is working because if I start a stream on Netflix the stream will continue but every PC has an issue. Any ideas?

I'm getting the following error in the log and then I lose connectivity.

Nov 24 22:18:36 dnsmasq[889]: Maximum number of concurrent DNS queries reached (max: 150)
Nov 24 22:18:42 dnsmasq[889]: Maximum number of concurrent DNS queries reached (max: 150)

Does anyone else get this error when entering a node's IP address into the browser? If I'm not mistaken, I used to see another screen than the one I'm getting now.
The node does show up and seems to be active under the primary router's setup page.

I tried rebooting the parent and the node.

Not4EZd.png

Does anyone else get this error when entering a node's IP address into the browser? If I'm not mistaken, I used to see another screen than the one I'm getting now.
The node does show up and seems to be active under the primary router's setup page.

I tried rebooting the parent and the node.

Not4EZd.png
The web Only available for aimesh router, not for Node.

I'm getting the following error in the log and then I lose connectivity.

Nov 24 22:18:36 dnsmasq[889]: Maximum number of concurrent DNS queries reached (max: 150)
Nov 24 22:18:42 dnsmasq[889]: Maximum number of concurrent DNS queries reached (max: 150)
How many device are using this network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!